Hi there,

I am a musician who wants to record my own songs...
However, I have no proper monitors... and no idea how to eq (or anything else to do with mixing :S).

I can record all of my parts, but I need someone to mix and master my tracks together to the best of their ability (for free)... preferably with 'reaper'.

If you think you could help me with this, please message me with a link to mixes you have made.

Thanks,
AJ

(sorry if this is the wrong place to post this)
Nobody is going to mix and master your stuff for you for free, that just wont happen.
"Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it." ~Henry David Thoreau
It would be good for you to learn how to do it anyway. What equipment do you have right now and ill tell u what all you will need to get started
"Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it." ~Henry David Thoreau
Ill do it
ESP Eclipse I CTM FR (KGC BRASS BLOCK + IronGear Blues Engine + Dirty Torque + BCS Wiring Kit
Jet City Fusion

Blackstar S1-104 EL34

Engl Standard 4x12 (V60's)

Korg PitchBlack
ZCAT Delay-Reverb
Snarling Dogs Whine-O-Wah
I have...

i: Macbook Pro (2gb ram, 160gb hd)
ii: Reaper (would prefer this over garageband)
iii: Garageband
iv: Line 6 Pod UX1
v: Addictive Drums
vi: Guitar pro (sometimes use some of the synths from there)
vii: Midi keyboard

Most of the above would be used for recording - What I need to know is how I can mix and master through 'reaper'.
And the main problem I have is that I haven't got any monitors :S

Thanks for your help,
AJ
Last edited by ankthebank at Sep 4, 2009,
Yeah monitors are a big help but you can just use studio headphones if you want, they are cheaper and i find them to be a big help. You will also need a mixer. There are also companys that will master your music for you and send it back to you. Some of them will even package your music with a cd cover, booklet, case, etc. I cant remember the website for the one that packages your music and everything but i know this site will master your music for you.

http://www.audio-cd-mastering.com/

Its a little pricey and if the quality of your recordings arent good then it wont make much of a difference anyway but its up to you. I suggest you learn how to do it yourself and just use headphones until you can afford monitors.
Cool, I'll try and do some mixing with the studio headphones i've already got... then i'll run the track through my car stereo and other systems and edit accordingly.

Could you explain what 'mastering' actually is? A bit of a 'noob' question, but i've never really understood the concept of it.

Beffyyy - Do you have any example mixes?

Thanks,
AJ
Mastering just normalizes the track, eliminates the noise between the tracks, evens out song levels and can eq individual tracks for cohesion, makes the audio clearer, etc. All of this stuff can probably be done on reaper. Most programs will normalize all the music for you, and all you would have to do is pay close attention to your volume levels or run it through a mixer or even garage band and make sure your volume stays even throughout and that you audio doesnt peak or red line. Also make sure you fade your instruments in and out for each verse, chorus, etc or silence all the noise you dont want in between parts.
Quote by pearlJam_31490
Mastering just normalizes the track, eliminates the noise between the tracks, evens out song levels and can eq individual tracks for cohesion, makes the audio clearer, etc. All of this stuff can probably be done on reaper. Most programs will normalize all the music for you, and all you would have to do is pay close attention to your volume levels or run it through a mixer or even garage band and make sure your volume stays even throughout and that you audio doesnt peak or red line. Also make sure you fade your instruments in and out for each verse, chorus, etc or silence all the noise you dont want in between parts.

wrong

mastering does normalize and clean up everything but it also brings out certain harmonics to make your mix richer etc etc. and compressing it and limiting, and clipping it, so it sounds the same on every system, and all the songs sound the same etc etc.
Quote by CatharsisStudio
wrong

mastering does normalize and clean up everything but it also brings out certain harmonics to make your mix richer etc etc. and compressing it and limiting, and clipping it, so it sounds the same on every system, and all the songs sound the same etc etc.

he wasnt too far off. also, theres slight eq adjustments. i saw a video where bob katz had a track which had this boom from the bass. He found out the note,took out a chart, adjusted EQ and bam, no bass boom. so mastering is many things
This is pretty interesting stuff! Are there any features in reaper that are solely used for mastering?

At what stage is mastering done?
Because I have been told that it can be done when all tracks have been mixed - you put them all into one daw, and normalize all levels at once.

Thanks,
AJ
Quote by ankthebank
This is pretty interesting stuff! Are there any features in reaper that are solely used for mastering?

At what stage is mastering done?
Because I have been told that it can be done when all tracks have been mixed - you put them all into one daw, and normalize all levels at once.

Thanks,
AJ

most of the time id say mastering is done when you are completely happy with your product. all mastering is, is just icing on the cake. your not going to be able to do anything really well with jsut reaper. mastering is a whole other art, although it can be done.

As for mixing i suggest you do it your self. its not the hardest and no one really knows what you want besides you. just a tip to keep in mind is to pan the correct things.
EX.
Bass,vocals,kick drum,snare,solos all go in the center.
Guitars,toms,cymbals,aux percussion, etcc spread out left to right. panning gives a much bigger sound and more "room" to work with.
Cool metalbass 77 - While you're here, can i ask you a question plz?

I've just got addictive drums (woohoo!), but i'm having that problem with guitar pro... do you know how i can import a drum map into reaper to work with addictive drums (so it recognises guitar pro drum files)?

Thanks,
AJ
Quote by ankthebank
Cool metalbass 77 - While you're here, can i ask you a question plz?

I've just got addictive drums (woohoo!), but i'm having that problem with guitar pro... do you know how i can import a drum map into reaper to work with addictive drums (so it recognises guitar pro drum files)?

Thanks,
AJ

im not sure if this will work or it will just show the right midi numbers. . open up reaper and insert the midi files. go to the drum midi track click on the midi notes and press ctrl+alt+e. this will bring you to the midi note editor. go to file then click load note names from file and select the file. if this doesnt work and all the addictive drums midi notes are off by 2, then you can press edit, select all events, and drag all your bars up by 2. thats all i can think of now, as i dont own addictice drums.
Cool thanks - I've downloaded some gp5 to ad drum maps, and the file format is 'drm'.

It won't open with reaper - how can i open it?
Quote by ankthebank
Cool thanks - I've downloaded some gp5 to ad drum maps, and the file format is 'drm'.

It won't open with reaper - how can i open it?

hmmm. see if theres an option for a keymap in addictive drums. if you still need help ill download the demo.
Hmm, don't worry about it... i'll try and download another drum map and see how that goes.
Thanks for your help! I've looked at some of your youtube videos, and they have helped me a lot too
Quote by ankthebank
http://www.xlnaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1865

This is where i got the gp5 to addictive drums drum map from... if you open it, you can see the drm file i'm talking about

Thanks

you know i cant even remember where i found that txt file? ill either upload it somwhere or find the link later. anyways, i found a link to a vst that transfers genereal midi to addictive drums. http://www.4shared.com/file/39765105/9ede6bd7/GM_To_AD_Drum.html

insert it first before addictive. i found it on the reaper forums so it should work. ill keep looking for the text file.
Cool, haha... thx for the text file.

I'm trying the vst right now - so cross your fingers!
I put the dll. file in my plugin folder... but for some reason, it doesn't load up in the list of plugins.

I've got a mac (if it makes any difference).

Thanks for your help metalbass77, i've got to go to sleep now (2.30 here!)... hopefully i'll speak to you soon.
Quote by ankthebank
I put the dll. file in my plugin folder... but for some reason, it doesn't load up in the list of plugins.

I've got a mac (if it makes any difference).

Thanks for your help metalbass77, i've got to go to sleep now (2.30 here!)... hopefully i'll speak to you soon.

alright well when you wake up, in reaper go to options ->preferences-> Vst -> then click recan directory or auto scan. in one of my youtube videos i describe it if your still confused
Hi, i've done some more research (wooo!) and it turns out that 'dll.' files are strictly for windows.

Any idea to how I would make this plugin work on my mac?
I've tried the above

Thanks,
AJ
Ok... more research!

I can use the 'midi_keymap' plugin in reaper to convert the general midi notes to addictive drums - This will be before the addictive drums plugin.

The only problem i have now is how to use this!
I can't find a general midi to addictive drums map (text file) - And I don't know where to put this file once i get it.

Does anyone know where the default mapping file for reaper is, on a mac?

That's the problem with a mac, you can't find half of the files!
Quote by ankthebank
I've just got addictive drums (woohoo!), but i'm having that problem with guitar pro... do you know how i can import a drum map into reaper to work with addictive drums (so it recognises guitar pro drum files)

Am I missing something about how Addictive Drums work? From what I've gathered it plays back MIDI files just as any other drum sample program does. If the drum map differs then just transpose/move the hits once you've imported the MIDI file into Reaper. It's a bit of a hassle but if you program in GP you should do some tweaking in Reaper (or whatever DAW you use) anyway to take advantage of the variation allowed from the multi-sample drum plugins.
"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man."

- Huey Lewis & the News
Yep, you can import guitar pro files and the drum map differs.

I wanted to know how to 'convert' the gp5 drum midi to addictive drum format, so I would not have to transpose later on.

I think I might do what you said, to add more realism with variation. thanks
Quote by ankthebank
Yep, you can import guitar pro files and the drum map differs.

I wanted to know how to 'convert' the gp5 drum midi to addictive drum format, so I would not have to transpose later on.

I think I might do what you said, to add more realism with variation. thanks

hmm, im not really sure , but ill see what i can find.

also for velocity levels dont be afraid to change them quite a bit. when i used my e-drums to trigger SD2.0 i looked at the velocity levels and they were quite varied, despite sounding at relatively the same volume.
Quote by ankthebank
Cool, thanks.

Need any help with anything you are doing? lol

na im alright, thanks tho. i really havent recorded anything lately. just been playing bass,guitar,drums, and writing some new material.

anyways i found this link to a guitar pro to addictive drums map.

http://www.xlnaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1865&sid=ee561c5e94d026c531c2199b59ae4a37

im not sure if itll work but its worth a try.
Nope doesn't work, i'll just try and program... will be useful later on!

Tell me when you record, i'll be happy to crit
I will if the musics worth my time..
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by MetalBass 77
he wasnt too far off. also, theres slight eq adjustments. i saw a video where bob katz had a track which had this boom from the bass. He found out the note,took out a chart, adjusted EQ and bam, no bass boom. so mastering is many things

Yeah but that really should have been done in the mix, mastering is really everything that Catharsistudios said.

BTW, you really cant do a good mastering job without great monitors and a great room. There is a reason why some people are specifically mastering engineers. Its a whole nother ballgame from mixing etc.
5150 III 100W, Mesa 4x12 Cab, Framus Cobra Cab, M-Audio Profire 610, ISA One Pre, SC607-b, Equator D5's, Countryman Type 85 Di box, Radial JCR, Superior Drummer, SSD 4 Ex, TS9, NS-2 and the list goes on and on
What I suggest, and I don't have much experience with any other program, is Fruity Loops 9. Its a pretty damn good program, you can record right into, has its own virtual mixer that works pretty damn nice, a shit load of effects that you can add after you record to get your mastering down. And best of all, you can find the software via torrents. I wish I had done that before dropping 250 on it. But still, I wish I had some tracks up that show what you can do with it, I have silly "dance" songs up. But none of my serious ones. Also, you might want a little USB pre-amp (M-audio) to plug into, then plug that via usb into your pc, at least for vocals and acoustic guitars. My electric guitar recording is a little more tricky.
anybody wanna put anything here just let me know