Hello. I really wanted to build a guitar a while back, but since i can't rout and it was going to be way too expensive, i had the idea of buying a body, then changing it to the way i like.

What i'm going to do is buy an unfinished RR body and glue wings to the top. Then cut it to make like a random star, but pointy. Like this :

So all i need to know is where i can buy an unfinished RR body, and is it possible to do this?
Scope eBay and craiglslist. If money weren't an issue I'd suggest warmoth, but since I think it is, I should let you know how expensive a warmoth body is.

Alternatively, you could ask one of UG's very own to make you an RR body.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Well i know Guitar fetish makes RR bodys for really cheap, but they're all finished i dont want that... and yeah warmoth is way too expensive lol. Is there a way i could buy an unfinished body from guitar fetish?

And is it possible to add wings to the body?
You could strip the finish. I'll link you to tutorials if you're interested.

To add the wings, you would just need to cut the proper shapes, glue and clamp them on with cauls whiles they're drying, and then you're good.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
they dont have to be the same wood
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
it'd be easier to get an explorer body and cut a lump out of the back instead of adding to a V imo

EDIT :
Quote by -MintSauce-
Why not started with an explorer?

it was his conversion I was going to link
Gear:
Squier Strat (modded)
Vintage SG
ESP-LTD Alexi 200
Epiphone Explorer Goth
Les Paul Build
Flying V Build
EH Metal Muff
Dunlop Cry Baby GCB95
Ashdown Fallen Angel 40
Quote by Ieuanm
it'd be easier to get an explorer body and cut a lump out of the back instead of adding to a V imo

EDIT :

it was his conversion I was going to link

Like i said... explorers aren't pointy, and it's alot harder to find an explorer body with 24 frets a floyd route than an RR body with 24 frets and a floyd route...
you could always make it pointy though, theres a lot of wood to work with on one. It'd be a case of filling holes and routing the neck pocket further into the body then re routing pick up and bridge further back, still less work than adding to a V, mainly because of the bevelling on the sides :/ they are still really rounded on the edges by the neck, would be a pain
Gear:
Squier Strat (modded)
Vintage SG
ESP-LTD Alexi 200
Epiphone Explorer Goth
Les Paul Build
Flying V Build
EH Metal Muff
Dunlop Cry Baby GCB95
Ashdown Fallen Angel 40
ah ok, no problem. My apologies for the lack of reading am tired!
Will just be a bitch to fill it up neatly! Would be awesome if pulled off though
Gear:
Squier Strat (modded)
Vintage SG
ESP-LTD Alexi 200
Epiphone Explorer Goth
Les Paul Build
Flying V Build
EH Metal Muff
Dunlop Cry Baby GCB95
Ashdown Fallen Angel 40
Quote by Ieuanm
ah ok, no problem. My apologies for the lack of reading am tired!
Will just be a bitch to fill it up neatly! Would be awesome if pulled off though

It's ok

I'll have access to all of the tools at my school so it shouldn't be too hard. And i have some experience with woodworking. I'll just need to buy alot of wood filler
Indeed! I'm borrowing half the tools for my V build from family/friends. Has saved me a fortune. The savings have allowed me to do the build actually, i'd have tools and no wood otherwise!
Gear:
Squier Strat (modded)
Vintage SG
ESP-LTD Alexi 200
Epiphone Explorer Goth
Les Paul Build
Flying V Build
EH Metal Muff
Dunlop Cry Baby GCB95
Ashdown Fallen Angel 40
I still think it'd be easier mind. Cant get my head around the sticking onto the V, just hope the edges are quite square.

And Mintsauce, damn you for having my gear, but just that step up I feel ruined
Gear:
Squier Strat (modded)
Vintage SG
ESP-LTD Alexi 200
Epiphone Explorer Goth
Les Paul Build
Flying V Build
EH Metal Muff
Dunlop Cry Baby GCB95
Ashdown Fallen Angel 40
Hehe another tired person XD

I considered just buying a slab of alder. but it was really expensive, and like i said i cant route. I would have also needed to add wood to it anyways because of the odd shape.

now all i need to do is wait for GFS to answer my email...

What if you started with that? I think that's quite pointy...
Ibanez S540

MXR EVH Phaser
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez WD-7
Electro Harmonix LPB-1

Traynor YCS 50 Blue
Quote by wair138

What if you started with that? I think that's quite pointy...

I could do it with the 24 fret, floyd version, but i wouldnt be able to ruin such an amazing guitar

EDIT:

Bad news... GFS wont let me buy just an unfinished body...
Last edited by R74NOGRADY at Sep 4, 2009,
Quote by R74NOGRADY
Hehe another tired person XD

I considered just buying a slab of alder. but it was really expensive, and like i said i cant route. I would have also needed to add wood to it anyways because of the odd shape.

now all i need to do is wait for GFS to answer my email...

expensive? How much were you quoted?

What size blank do you need?
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
What you wanna do won't work. You can't add the wings on because of the RRV bevels, you will have little gaps.
my opinion your better just doing it properly.

for your idea, you would have to make a good joint surface you cant just glue it on. If you convex radius the bevels, and then concave the wings, it could have a nice fit and wont remove too much wood.
Also this means the visible joint is angled, and much less visible.

however you do it, it will never be as good as if you started from a blank and made it how you want. also body wood is cheap! so dont waste your time trying to do it like that.
why dont you get a blank, and get someone to route it for you ? Would be inexpensive for that about of work i should think
Gear:
Squier Strat (modded)
Vintage SG
ESP-LTD Alexi 200
Epiphone Explorer Goth
Les Paul Build
Flying V Build
EH Metal Muff
Dunlop Cry Baby GCB95
Ashdown Fallen Angel 40
I only know of one person who could do that for me. He used to make custom guitars, but he went out of business since we live in a small town. The alder body blank would cost 60$ + shipping and i'd need to buy extra wood for the weird shape. So about 100$ for the wood. Then i'd need to pay the guy to rout (i'm guessing about 50$? idk lol) OR i could get a cheap v body and have some fun with it.
I bet you at least one of your friends or at least their parents have a router they'd let you use for free. And you're being overcharged for that wood, just find a local lumber yard. Where do you live again?
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
-I'd use the band saw at my school. Or i could use a hand saw.

-I do own a Dremel tool with a router attatchment thing. but i'd mess it up :P

-The wood from the site is the only thing near me i could find... I live in Cornwall ontario. small town, no lumber yards that sell guitar wood.
Quote by R74NOGRADY
-I'd use the band saw at my school. Or i could use a hand saw.

-I do own a Dremel tool with a router attatchment thing. but i'd mess it up :P

-The wood from the site is the only thing near me i could find... I live in Cornwall ontario. small town, no lumber yards that sell guitar wood.

You are in the centre of Canada's largest hardwood forest region, pick up a god damn phonebook and go for a drive if you have to.

Also, the amount of work that would go into properly adding on these horns is almost as much as making a new body from scratch.

Sooner or later you're going to have to face the facts: you do not have the materials, tools, and experience required to do this job yourself. Work on meeting the criteria or give up.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo