Page 1 of 4
I've been through alot in the past months, dealing with drugs and alcohol etc, but I've overcome it all and have moved on to being a better person.
I have done it on my own, and without the help of family or friends, but I thought it to be fair to tell my parents about my hardships.

however, now my mother has been going on about how all of the problems I've gotten in to have been because I do not believe in the catholic god, and that everything that has gone wrong in my life is because I do not follow the same faith as my mother.

I don't know... what is your opinion on this? is it right to tell your son that all the bad that has happened to him is because he hasn't believed in YOUR religion?

discuss.
Go to church, light up a joint, and ask her where her god is now.

Moral of the story: God probably doesn't exist, and if it does, it has no direct affect over HOW we live our lives, only that we do.
"If you're going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don't even start..."
Charles Bukowski
Here come the religion bashers!

Just tell her you disagree with her. If she can't be mature enough to accept that, it's her problem.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

It's not right or wrong.
I'd get pissed off if my mom was preaching at me in the same fashion, but you can't tell her that what she believes isn't true...well, you could, but where would that get you?
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Being a theology major I think it's absurd that she would even say that.

Just try to tell her that you don't believe in the same things as her, if it comes to it...burn a copy of the bible haha.
Quote by BreakingBnj
Go to church, light up a joint, and ask her where her god is now.

Moral of the story: God probably doesn't exist, and if it does, it has no direct affect over HOW we live our lives, only that we do.
This.

No really. Just this.
Turn the tables.

Tell her your life got messed up because SHE believed in God. She'll be mighty speechless.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
Quote by SteveHouse
Here come the religion bashers!

Just tell her you disagree with her. If she can't be mature enough to accept that, it's her problem.

I'm not trying to bash religion!!

I'm a pretty spiritual person, I just don't believe in christianity and te whole god/jesus thing.
Religion does not exist, its all interpretation. The Babylonians are the first ones to form religion, everything else is based off of them (tell your mom that). Therefore, feel good about yourself for overcoming your problems and live your life your way.

Quote by axethrower13
But you only die once, so you may as well experience it to the fullest.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
Quote by CoreysMonster

I'm a pretty spiritual person, I just don't believe in christianity and te whole god/jesus thing.

Well i dont really care about religion...
Just talk with her and show your points.
Yeah, my mom gets all upset that I don't believe in God. I think that's just how Catholic moms are.

I mean, that's not the nicest thing for her to say to you, but that's what she believes is true. What are you gonna do?

It's good that you overcame your hardships, at least.
Just tell you're an athiest......and to stick her god up her a**e
Fender Roadhouse Deluxe Strat
Vintage Acoustic
Home-made 18 Watt all valve Marshall clone
Talent: zero (but trying)
Man made god, if you're having problems with your life theres no one to blame except for you (unless someone else is responsible, in that case, it's god)
just remember that shes only doing it because shes worried about you not because she thinks she knows better than you or anything.
Emerse your soul in love

You used to be alright What happened?

Yellow tigers crouched in jungles in her Dark Eyes .
Quote by CoreysMonster

I think he was speaking of all the religion bashers coming here because you posted a topic about religion. You're not actually a religion basher.

Good on ya for getting through all this stuff by yourself, it's a rough road. Your mother should be a little more considerate to how you feel. Considering, you have been through a lot...and no matter which god you believe in, or don't believe in...it still wouldn't matter as long as you got through it.
Quote by CoreysMonster

Oh I know this, and I'm sorry if it came across that way. Just seems like the type of thread that would attract the "theres no god shes a dumbass olololol"
drive-by commenters.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Well thats typical of cathoics, their really strict about their faith, if I didnt know any better, I'ed say catholics are just as crazy as muslims, I think she was wrong to say that, but its just how cathloics are. Thats why I perfer to be christan, less strict. Same God, without all the eleist crap.

And what happens to someone dosent happen just becuase they dont beleive in the same religion, it happes for a reason usually, if you just look back on it, and understand what the experience was teaching you, then you'll understand that it was in fact for a reason. Alot of musicaians write music about those kinds of things, so its understandanble to believe that things happen to teach us lessons.

Just tell your mom that you thought it was wrong for her to say that.
I hate it when people try to shove religion down other people' throats. It's out of order beyond belief.
I pretty much agree with what's been said thus far about her respecting your privacy, decisions, etc. With stuff like this, parents always use the "it's for your own good" or whatever, but it seems here like she's just being pissy? I dunno. Try looking at this from her perspective--look at it objectively, as well, and ask yourself if she's guilting you into religion (or trying), or actually trying to help.

Whereas I do believe God, or Jesus, or whatever, can be an inspiration, I highly doubt you've done all you're telling them about just because there's no God in your life. The only argument that she could feasibly use would be that a belief in God comes with moral standards, but even that is flawed, because there's a difference between having no moral standards and making mistakes.
The best thing you can do is be respectful towards her opinion, and hope that she gives you the same courtesy.
I guess it is "right" to try to be sure your son knows about stuff like religion, being protective, and all (that's just human nature for a parent)--however, it's not right to be in his face about it to the point that you're not letting him make his own decisions.
What a bitch. No offense, but thats one of the stupidest things ive ever heard. Shes complpetely wrong. Just go light a joint in her face.
i need a famous quote
for what you said you went thru, i think she should be proud of you, not for what you did, but what you overcame......
Quote by Valid12891
I wish I had an extra sensitive third nipple, and a girl who was into that sort of thing.

Quote by _Ixnay_
In Russia, Winter Cold + Vodka + Big-Chested Women = No problem.

Book of shadows 2?
O_o
Quote by Deliriumbassist
It's also out of order when atheists try and shove atheism down religious folk's throats. It works both ways.

Precisely. See, religious people are dead-set in their belief, and EVERYONE has a religion. Atheism counts. So, whether or not you try to tell your mum that religion is a joke or whatever doesn't count for anything. I'd go with trying to reach mutual acceptance, as I said before, and keep things relatively peaceful.

XD But punching her in the vag would be god-awful-hilarity.
Quote by Thepekins
What a bitch. No offense, but thats one of the stupidest things ive ever heard. Shes complpetely wrong. Just go light a joint in her face.

Ya bro, that'll show her!

EDIT:
@ above, atheism is not a religion.
Quote by CoreysMonster
however, now my mother has been going on about how all of the problems I've gotten in to have been because I do not believe in the catholic god, and that everything that has gone wrong in my life is because I do not follow the same faith as my mother.

Tell her that little children are brutally murdered every day. Is it because they don't believe in god?

Quote by Deliriumbassist
It's also out of order when atheists try and shove atheism down religious folk's throats. It works both ways.

Also, this. It's almost impossible to have a religious conversation without one side getting angry.
Chinese Democracy is a great album, people need to get over Slash.

Proud fan of Pop, Rap, Rock, and Metal.
Last edited by maidenfan15 at Sep 4, 2009,
Quote by Gerard Way Jr
Precisely. See, religious people are dead-set in their belief, and EVERYONE has a religion. Atheism counts. So, whether or not you try to tell your mum that religion is a joke or whatever doesn't count for anything. I'd go with trying to reach mutual acceptance, as I said before, and keep things relatively peaceful.

Exactly. Discussion is great, I'm all for that. I often discuss religion with my religious sister. We get on as well as any siblings with a half decent relationship, and it doesn't get nasty. There's really no point.
I read it as.
my mother's been giving me crap for not being alcoholic
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
Quote by Nexium
I read it as.
my mother's been giving me crap for not being alcoholic

I originally read it as that too.
Quote by neidnarb11890

EDIT:
@ above, atheism is not a religion.

"Definitions of atheism on the Web:

* the doctrine or belief that there is no God "

"Definitions of religion on the Web:

* a strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny"

Atheism counts.