I'm looking for a good amp for my room. A few factors I'm considering (not in any particular order):
1. Portability - Ideally it'd fit under my bed (I can raise the bed if needed), my room is small. Easy to transport around.
2. Volume - I probably won't be able to turn it very loud. I tried a Vypyr 30W and even going to 2 seemed like it'd be way too loud for a dorm setting.
3. Metal tone - I primarily like Metallica, Slayer, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, that sort of music. However I also like Boston, Muse, a bit of punk/alternative, a huge variety. And a decent clean tone would be nice. Basically, great high gain, but versatile.
4. I have EMGs - People say I need a tube amp to utilize them to their full potential. Would they really sound that bad with a SS?

Those are what I can think of for now. I don't have a set budget, but I'd like not to spend a whole lot, but if there's a minimum level for a decent amp I guess I could expand. Perhaps some good suggestions from a few price ranges up to $400? If it makes a big enough difference to bump up then I'll take it, but $400 is the maximum.

I've liked what I've seen of the Vypyr, with the versatility and effects. I do admit I'd only use a few effects. I just need some distortion and reverb, but the different amp options would be nice.

I've also heard great things about the Blackstar HT-5. However, it does get to the high end of my budget, so if you guys know where I can find it used for really cheap I'd appreciate it. I've been spending too much lately, and I want to stem my outward flow of cash, but I can't keep using that crappy Frontman 15g.

I have an EHX Metal Muff. Would this go OK with the Vypyr or Blackstar, or any other suggestions? If not that's fine, I can just not use it.

I don't know too much about different ranges of amps so any other suggestions are welcome. I'll be in the New York City area.

EDIT: Also, I don't plan on gigging or joining a band any time soon. Don't worry about those. Gotta build up my skills first!
Quote by Perp8tualMotion
Thank you, Red Comet, for restoring a bit of my faith in human kind.
Last edited by The Red Comet at Sep 4, 2009,
just get a lower wattage vyper or a vox vt, the voxes are realy good tone with pedals and are extremely low volumes
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
Fender Supersonic with Krank Krankenstien 4x12
OR 50 with 4 x 12
Gassing for ibanes airplane flanger
i would take the metal muff and black star over the vyper.
the minimalist σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
Flextone. Flextone. Flextone.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Buy an old Marshall JMP-1 pre-amp and listen through the headphone jack. Real tubes. One rack unit size. Tons of Marshall amp sounds. Great effects loop if you want a pedal. Cab emulated output. When you're ready just add a power amp and cabinet. About $400 used on eBay.

EDIT: and this isn't a "toy" it's pro stuff.
Last edited by BobDetroit at Sep 4, 2009,
^ That's a really good suggestion!
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
Boss GT10

All the sounds you will ever need, without needing to crank thee sound up.
You need some good earphones/headphones though...nothing too fancy, but dont connect them to some crappy built in pc monitor speakers.

EDIT: or a used boss GT8, PODXT

To be honest, if you are in a dorm room, amp modelling units are the best thing.
Last edited by x5_spoonman at Sep 4, 2009,
I'd prefer an amp that would sound good through headphones (I have pretty good ones, but they make my current setup sound so bad that I can't bear to use them on the amp), but also to be able to use the speakers to play songs for my friends.

So you say amp modelling units are the best thing. You mean the Vypyr or Valvetronix? That sort? Any idea which might be the best, or what each one is good for? I normally see the Blackstar recommended strongly, any particular reason it's less mentioned here?
Quote by Perp8tualMotion
buy the jmp1 a ehx 22 caliber and get one of those marshal haze cabs
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Quote by BobDetroit
Buy an old Marshall JMP-1 pre-amp and listen through the headphone jack. Real tubes. One rack unit size. Tons of Marshall amp sounds. Great effects loop if you want a pedal. Cab emulated output. When you're ready just add a power amp and cabinet. About $400 used on eBay.

^These are awesome. Practically every cool 80's metal tune was played through one of them. Great place to start.
Quote by cliff_em_all
Flextone. Flextone. Flextone.

+1
- Anthony
PRS: PS P22, ME II 25th, SC HB I, Custom 22, McCarty 20th, SE Custom 24 7, Angulus SE
Fender Am Tele, Am Strat, 70 RI Strat, Esquire Scorpion
LTD: SC-607B

Amp
Avid 11R
Slight variation on the JMP-1 idea.

Engl e530 straight into any cab you like, no poweramp needed as the Engl has a 2w SS amp built in.

Im doing just this and its more than adequate for practise at low to loud volumes.

Then just add a poweramp if you need to later.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Last edited by halikus at Sep 4, 2009,
Quote by halikus
Slight variation on the JMP-1 idea.

Engl e530 straight into any cab you like, no poweramp needed as the Engl has a 2w SS amp built in.

Im doing just this and its more than adequate for practise at low to loud volumes.

Then just add a poweramp if you need to later.

How much would this cost? I have no experience with heads/cabs or poweramps, so I might prefer a combo amp.
Quote by Perp8tualMotion
Wait is there a lower priced Flextone available? I did a cursory search and they're all over $600, way past my budget.
Quote by Perp8tualMotion
Quote by The Red Comet
Wait is there a lower priced Flextone available? I did a cursory search and they're all over $600, way past my budget.

Used is your friend.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
So, what're the features and pros/cons of the Flextone? SS or tube? Any other info?
Quote by Perp8tualMotion
Dude, for the price ($350 new for the stack on GC.com or MF.com) the Blackstar HT-5 is a pretty good amp. Perhaps I am biased because I own one but in all truth it will work great for practicing in your dorm AND you can mic it. It's sound is gig worthy despite not being loud enough to gig on it's own. It's a sweet amp dude. I would at least consider it.
Gear:
1) Fender: MIM Strat- Cream with maple neck + graphite nut + locking tuners + Vintage Noiseless PUs
2) Blackstar: HT-5
3) Rocktron: Banshee
4) Yamaha: FGX730SC electric acoustic
5) Fender: MIM Strat -Lake Placid Blue w/rosewood neck
I'm definitely considering it. What do you mean by mic it? Is there a connector so I can hook it up to my PC or something?

See now I can't decide, there are so many options and I'm not sure which would be ideal for me. The Vox VT15 looks really nice and has great reviews, but so does the Blackstar. Flextone seems loved here, but it looks big and expensive (haven't done much research on it yet). Getting to a music store to try these out is inconvenient for me, as I have little time to travel that far. Any idea how I can differentiate all these options and choose?
Quote by Perp8tualMotion
Quote by The Red Comet
I'm definitely considering it. What do you mean by mic it? Is there a connector so I can hook it up to my PC or something?

See now I can't decide, there are so many options and I'm not sure which would be ideal for me. The Vox VT15 looks really nice and has great reviews, but so does the Blackstar. Flextone seems loved here, but it looks big and expensive (haven't done much research on it yet). Getting to a music store to try these out is inconvenient for me, as I have little time to travel that far. Any idea how I can differentiate all these options and choose?

What I mean is if you are playing with it live, then you can put a mic up to it and mix it in to the PA sound so that it is loud enough to keep up with the drums (or the rest of the band). Don't get me wrong it's volume can get pretty loud but not loud enough to keep up with heavy drumming. In your dorm it will give you sweet sound and it has a lot of features for the price.

I would recommend a Vox ACTV5 but you said metal so that option is out. Another option would be a smaller 10-15watt tube amp that you run some pedals through. Flex tones are great I've heard and if you can get one used it may be great but I'm not sure if you could play that in your dorm without headphone which I personally hate playing through. That's just me though.
Gear:
1) Fender: MIM Strat- Cream with maple neck + graphite nut + locking tuners + Vintage Noiseless PUs
2) Blackstar: HT-5
3) Rocktron: Banshee
4) Yamaha: FGX730SC electric acoustic
5) Fender: MIM Strat -Lake Placid Blue w/rosewood neck
What's the difference between the Blackstar Halfstack and Combo? They appear to be the same price on GC. Also if anyone spots a great deal on a used Blackstar I'd appreciate a heads up, it's quite costly.
Quote by Perp8tualMotion
The Flextone will get you great tones, but it isn't portable at all.
This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is MINE.
Quote by BobDetroit

have you ever did it ??? did it sound any good ???

usually tubes sound is a combinaison of the pwoer map /speaker in order to get a good sound.

doesnt tubes sound compressed through heapdhone ???
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Quote by Skysc
have you ever did it ??? did it sound any good ???

usually tubes sound is a combinaison of the pwoer map /speaker in order to get a good sound.

doesnt tubes sound compressed through heapdhone ???

I own one. I don't recommend things I haven't played.
you could get like a 15x or 10x roland cube.....i have the 30xand its good..for metal when you turn the gain up...