Before i start i'd like to say hello to everyone as i'm new to UG's forum!

Now down to business, recently i have started to play much more guitar than i usually do, and while a love my prs se singlecut to death, its starting to sound a little bit too plain to me. (I guess an hour of practice everyday will do that). So i'm now interested in buying a cheap guitar that will spice things up a little bit. Make things a little more fun.

The type of guitar that i'm looking for is in the $200-350 price range, it doesn't neccesarily have to be good, but i'd like something different than my current prs. So i would prefer to buy something that doesn't have a lp shape, and without 2 humbucking pickups. The type of music i like to play includes: Godsmack, Led Zepilen, Boston, nirvana, aerosmith, jimi hendrix, rise against, funeral for a friend, foo fighters, eric clapton, and others bands as well, mostly in the rock genre.

I currently am playing through a roland 20x ( please don't tell me to upgrade my amp as i don't really see any need to replace it considering it does what i want it to do, and gets the job done.)

I'm going to guitar center in 2 days so i'll be able to test out all suggestions while i'm there.

So just to recap:

$200-350

Something that would be fun to play

No lp shape

No HH setup (though not a neccesity)

Something that can handle a good mix of rock music.

Thanks in advance
My Gear:

Prs Se Singlecut

Takamine G3SSOS

Roland Cube 20x
ibanez makes really good guitars for the price. you will get more quality than you pay for, and they have some starting in your price range and i believe even cheaper than that
Dean Razorback
Fender Strat
Epiphone SG Bass Short Scale
Walden D351 Acoustic
Digitech RP250
SHS 180 Watt
Quote by RubberPuppiessu
I know this guy who ruined a romantic moment with his girl by saying "I want your hole".
Try out the Squier Classic Vibe Series... They run about $350

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Maybe a squier tele. I'd say a strat for some of those styles but I'd be a little wary of the bridges on those cheaper models.
if there's a used squier 51 check that out. i was looking for the exact same thing myself (my only electric was my Les Paul) and found an upgraded one in great shape for $250. plus they looks awesome! cool and rare little guitars, and cheap now too
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by the420guitarist
ibanez makes really good guitars for the price. you will get more quality than you pay for, and they have some starting in your price range and i believe even cheaper than that

u stole the words from my mouth
Gear:
Alesis Multimix 8 USB 2.0
Alesis DM6
Two Colling's acoustics (my dad's)
Ibanez SoundGear bass
Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
Ovation 12-string (also dad's)
Sony 5.1 system
Quote by Lagunaguitar
u stole the words from my mouth

mine too. mate just baught a ibanez rg350 for £300 and even though the rd are seen as a metal guitar, it does pretty much everything and feels so nice to play

Ibanez S670FM
Ibanez Masa SX60
Roland Cube 60
CryBaby GCB 95
Ibanez GSR180 Bass

♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
Yeah I love Led Zepilen, I'm wearing one of their shirts right now.
........................,;:/|Simply~~Strings|\:;,......................
Quote by JustRooster
I love you forever.

Quote by KeepOnRotting
That Rick Roll was extremely well played.
thanks for the quick replies guys.

I'll definetly make a note to check out these guitars
My Gear:

Prs Se Singlecut

Takamine G3SSOS

Roland Cube 20x
ur best bet for a varied sounddifrent from the prs is ibanez.
theyr tone can get limited but theyr quite differnt from PRS. Ibanex have some great guitars in ur price range. also for fks sake plz dont mention funeral for a friend in the same sentenceas clapton and hendrix. its insulting. but ur a new guy so its kl.
An hour of practice a day is nothing, I play my PRS for 3 times that or more every day and it doesnt sound plain.

Just get a delay pedal for that much, or a chorus or something.
Quote by enselmis
An hour of practice a day is nothing, I play my PRS for 3 times that or more every day and it doesnt sound plain.

Just get a delay pedal for that much, or a chorus or something.

Sorry, but to me its stating to sound plain, to each his own i guess.
My Gear:

Prs Se Singlecut

Takamine G3SSOS

Roland Cube 20x
Quote by <PrOtegE#1>
Sorry, but to me its stating to sound plain, to each his own i guess.

He does have a point though. That's a great guitar. Why not invest in a REALLY good (READ: non-modeled) pedal to spice up your playing. Hell for that Price you could order a Malekko 616 delay AND a good wah and be in heaven. It takes a while to learn pedals WELL and in the process you may find out new stuff about your guitar (settings and what not) that you didn't want before. This is a much better investment IMO.
Gear:
1) Fender: MIM Strat- Cream with maple neck + graphite nut + locking tuners + Vintage Noiseless PUs
2) Blackstar: HT-5
3) Rocktron: Banshee
4) Yamaha: FGX730SC electric acoustic
5) Fender: MIM Strat -Lake Placid Blue w/rosewood neck
Quote by <PrOtegE#1>
... The type of music i like to play includes: Godsmack, Led Zepilen, Boston, nirvana, aerosmith, jimi hendrix, rise against, funeral for a friend, foo fighters, eric clapton, and others bands as well, mostly in the rock genre.

So just to recap: $200-350 Something that would be fun to play ... No lp shape ... No HH setup (though not a neccesity) ...
Squier Tele (SS) or Strat (SSS or HSS)!

You could score some Used ones from CraigsList for really cheap: from $50 and up.

or

Yamaha Pacifica.
Gear:

ESP Horizon FR (Snow White)
Axl Tiger Pro

Ashdown EVOII 500
Ashdown EVO 1X15 Cab
Ashdown EVO 4X10 Cab

Dunlop Crybaby From Hell Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Artec Analog Delay
Boss HM-2 'Heavy Metal'
Digitech 'Death Metal'
Quote by Ippon
Squier Tele (SS) or Strat (SSS or HSS)!

You could score some Used ones from CraigsList for really cheap: from $50 and up.

or

+1 or even look for a used MIM strat or tele. Nevermind, if you did that it might end up being better than what you are playing.
Last edited by IPlaySchecter at Sep 4, 2009,