I need help learning how to pick faster to be able to play metal songs.

is it a technique or just loads of practice?
Slow down first, and eradicate all excess tension.

It's not a strength exercise - speed comes from relaxed, economical motion acquired from many hours of practice.
focus on accuracy with the rythm, go 120 bpm, then try 140, then 160, ect., until you get the speed u want
"How can I be lost when I've got nowhere to go"
- MetallicA
What to do at a metal concert:

Quote by Mtl2theend
focus on accuracy with the rythm, go 120 bpm, then try 140, then 160, ect., until you get the speed u want

Don't change that rapid, change it slower, like 5-10 bpm. and do it 21 times perfectly before you proceed to the next level.
Quote by jemeput
yo... I think the best way is to start playing slowly... focus on accuracy... the speed will come as ur accuracy becomes better..

Yes, this definitely applies to the left hand, but I think the question was about picking

For picking (I.E. the picking hand) you need to focus on stamina. How do you do this? Well, you keep picking and see how long you can do it for at a time, then increase the speed etc...

Also, don't let all the movement come from your elbow, or from your wrist. You should be using a combination of the two to achieve a more natural motion.
Quote by GisleAune
Don't change that rapid, change it slower, like 5-10 bpm. and do it 21 times perfectly before you proceed to the next level.

good point, thanks for the correction
"How can I be lost when I've got nowhere to go"
- MetallicA
What to do at a metal concert: