I find it quite hard to play everything that i can while sitting down and practising, when im standing up.

i can fix it by making the strap shorter but im not into that whole look of having the guitar right up over your stomach...

any tips?
Practice. If you want to wear your guitar low, you'll have to get used to the fact that it will be different playing stood up. You'll find after a few goes you will be able to play anyway.
play with it over your stomach for a while, then when you get used to it lower it a couple inches. rinse and repeat
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
Quote by GODhimself37
play with it over your stomach for a while, then when you get used to it lower it a couple inches. rinse and repeat

+1
Quote by ChadHydro
I definitely find it easier to play standing up with an electric than an acoustic. After a while on an acoustic, even if it's up pretty high, my wrist is just destroyed.

Don't tense it then :P

It doesn't take much force to hold down the strings- even on acoustic. It kinda sounds like you're gripping the guitar too hard.
my acoustic only has one strap peg thing - at the base of the guitar. there isnt one near the neck so is that guitar just not meant to be played standing up?
Also what you could do is to play classical guitar-style with the body in between your legs. not only does this make the change from sitting to standing easier, it will also improve your form. if not you can also just drastically change your strap to be lower and just get used to it. it might feel wierd but i had the same problem and it was worth a shot.
Quote by scarface17
my acoustic only has one strap peg thing - at the base of the guitar. there isnt one near the neck so is that guitar just not meant to be played standing up?

I think straps designed for an acoustic have some string at one end, which you tie around the headstock behind the nut. My mates does anyway...
Quote by myevilside
I think straps designed for an acoustic have some string at one end, which you tie around the headstock behind the nut. My mates does anyway...

Yeah that's right I use an old shoe lace on mine altough some acoustics do have two strap pegs.
Gear
Gibson SG Standard with Bare Knuckle Riff Raff and Stormy Monday
Fender Eric Clapton Signature Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Fulltone OCD
EHX Holy Grail Nano
BYOC Tone Bender Clone
Korg Pitchblack
Fender Bassman '59 Reissue
Yea i played for about 5 years sitting down before i started trying to play standing up. You just have to find a strap position that's comfortable then practice. eventually u get used to it and you can play everything u can play sitting down.
when u practice sitting down put the guitar on your left leg, the classical position. Include a little bit of time to practice daily standing up, and increase that period of time periodically
As has been said, either raise your strap to a functional level, or learn to adjust to being able to "look cool" with a low strap. It also depends on the level of musicianship that the music you're playing requires. Technically advanced material (especially that which contains lots of stretches) is virtually impossible to play with a low strap, hence the guitar-on-the-knee method during solos.
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Sep 9, 2009,