Page 1 of 10
Alright, lets talk doom metal, stoner metal, and sludge metal. You know you want to.

Basically, for those who play this type of music, what do you use? How do you get your tone? What tones do you like as far as artists?

i thought the thread title was Dorm Room.

and i like Sunn O)))
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
mastodon and baroness ftw!!!!!!

I use my mark IV. It can do their tones great you've just gotta be able to get it to "loosen up."
Amps:
Crate V3112
Mesa Mk IVB

Guitars:
Ibanez SZ320
BC Rich Mockingbird Special X
Michael Kelly Patriot Custom

Effects:
Too Many to list.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
i thought the thread title was Dorm Room.

and i like Sunn O)))

a) literacy
b) refrigerator sounds

c: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dHzjlDgqD8 Awesome.

I forget what he used on this album, though I think he's using a JCM800 here, though.
Quote by imgooley
a) literacy
b) refrigerator sounds
Have you ever gotten baked listening to Sun O))) running through a bass amp?

Didn't think so.

I would have to say that my favourite doom-esque music would have to be Electric Wizard. I, The, Witchfind-er!

I usually just use my neck pickup of my Destroyer, through the Ampeg, and probably throw the ME in for a bit o' delay (if I am feeling particularly psychedelic).

Edit: Never heard high On Fire before, they are pretty good.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Sep 4, 2009,
Quote by nightraven
big muff

Stoner rock/metal in a box. I concur.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Woop woop, I'm in

My fav doom/stoner bands at the moment:

Electric Wizard
Goblin C0ck
Acid King
Boris
Earth

As for stoner tone, I'm still looking for the right fuzz, but I really like the Way Huge Swollen Pickle and the Dwarfcraft Shiva seems reeeally promising.

I play through a Sunn Spectrum and 4x10 bass cab. Totally Doom/Stoner (TDS)?

Oh, and DeathbyDestroyer, I have blasted Sunn O))) through my amp
I use a Pocket POD nearly all the time, for stoner/sludge/doom/slow crust tones I tend to use the 'Modern Class A', 'Tweed Blues' or 'Line 6 Twang' models, with a 4x12 cab model.

As for bands...

Sunn0)))
Bongzilla
Eyehategod
Burning Witch
His Hero Is Gone
Converge

...all represent sludgy tones I like.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Last edited by STABxYOU at Sep 4, 2009,
I get a pretty mean Baroness style sound running my Schecter Spitfire in Drop A# with my Mesa. For really droney/doomy stuff, I'll throw a Big Muff on top of that, and it's like hell in an amp.

Band wise I'm pretty fond of Isis, Baroness, Mastodon, Eyehategod, Boris, Queens of the Stone Age, etc.
I like stoner doom ala Church of Misery, Electric Wizard, etc.

When I'm playing some doom stuff, i set a distortion channel on my amp to sound like it's having a big muff ran through it. This for the most part works, but i like to run my fuzz face into this because i think it hads a certain...flare to the tone. either way, it's super thick and super fuzzy.
Love just sitting around listening to earth and inhaling. Om is one of my favorites, Sleep is good but I can't dig the vocals. Orange Goblin is always worth a listen. Harder to get the sounds since I've narrowed it down to just a tele, but drop it down to d through my bmf fuzz and crate v15 gets close enough, sometimes I use my byoc tonebender. Play it slow

Good thread
Good thread fo sho.

So what do you guys think are some perfect guitars for stoner/doom stuff? Aside from the typical SG/Les Paul?

Lately I've been digging the Reverend Sensei and the Maton MS503. Both seem perfect for stoner rock tones. Throw some heavy gauge strings, crank the fuzz, turn up the bass
Quote by pak1351
Love just sitting around listening to earth and inhaling. Om is one of my favorites, Sleep is good but I can't dig the vocals. Orange Goblin is always worth a listen. Harder to get the sounds since I've narrowed it down to just a tele, but drop it down to d through my bmf fuzz and crate v15 gets close enough, sometimes I use my byoc tonebender. Play it slow

Good thread
My tele on the neck pickup and the tone knob completely rolled off works well enough.
Quote by The_Bosstone
My tele on the neck pickup and the tone knob completely rolled off works well enough.

I'm getting lots of hiss/feedback. Need to shield it, but I've got an ew body on the way and am waiting to do it.

You out in Pittsburgh or harrisburg? we should jam sometime
Quote by Mr. Jiggy Fly
Oh I forgot about OM. Amazing group. Sleep minus guitar

I tried to get into them, but I couldn't really dig them very much. They're so monotonous.
Favourite band at the moment - Kyuss.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by pak1351
I'm getting lots of hiss/feedback. Need to shield it, but I've got an ew body on the way and am waiting to do it.

You out in Pittsburgh or harrisburg? we should jam sometime
Ah, I'm just outside of Philadelphia.

I don't seem to get any (unwanted) feedback or hiss...I don't know why you are.
Quote by pak1351
Orange Goblin is always worth a listen.

never been a BIG fan of Orange Goblin (it is worth a listen though). Just comes off as glorified bar rock to me. Of course that doesn't mean I don't have many of their albums

Ramsess is a good one.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by Mr. Jiggy Fly
Good thread fo sho.

So what do you guys think are some perfect guitars for stoner/doom stuff? Aside from the typical SG/Les Paul?

Lately I've been digging the Reverend Sensei and the Maton MS503. Both seem perfect for stoner rock tones. Throw some heavy gauge strings, crank the fuzz, turn up the bass

I always thought it would be really cool to play stoner rock on a Univox Hi-Flyer.

maybe that's just me
^ Nope, not just you. Looks like a wicked guitar for stoner rock.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

A Peavey T60 would be sweet for stoner rock.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by The_Bosstone
Oh wow, now I want one of those!

yeah, me too. i just revived that bit of GAS
My Little Big Muff does it for me for those kind of tones.

Any Corrosion of Conformity fans?

Not the hardcore punk stuff, but the sludge metal stuff.

I'm pretty dam sure Pepper used a Big Muff for Albatross, at least it sounds like it.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by Mr. Jiggy Fly

Ibanez ORM-1.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
I don't listen to much Doom anymore, but Dopethrone is definitely one of my favorite doom albums of all time. And Come My Fanatics... is pretty great too.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
For Doom/sludge tone I usually just run a Russian big Muff Straight into my amp, then switch on the blue box when I feel like even more fuzz. Lead tone consists of Big Muff+Reverb

As for stoner rock guitars I've always wanted an Ampeg AMG100 or ADA6
I just love that shape
Quote by synestershadows
Shai Hulud mother****er.
Quote by PollyWntsCrack
Sunn's not Doom big guy.. there drone.

Oh sorry. I need to re-learn my genres.

PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Have you ever gotten baked listening to Sun O))) running through a bass amp?

Didn't think so.

I would have to say that my favourite doom-esque music would have to be Electric Wizard. I, The, Witchfind-er!

I usually just use my neck pickup of my Destroyer, through the Ampeg, and probably throw the ME in for a bit o' delay (if I am feeling particularly psychedelic).

Edit: Never heard high On Fire before, they are pretty good.

A) I love stoner rock. I hate marijuana.
B) Electric Wizard is awesome.
C) High on Fire rules.
Quote by Mr. Jiggy Fly
Good thread fo sho.

Tones of great doomey/stoner guitars. Semi-hollows work great, IMO. P90's as well. Matt Pike uses a First Act DC Lola 9 string, which sounds awesome. There's also the Yamaha SBG, which always sounds great. And the old Ibanez Artists guitars. Or most of the old Japanese MAtsumoku guitars.

Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
I tried to get into them, but I couldn't really dig them very much. They're so monotonous.
Favourite band at the moment - Kyuss.

That's part of the point of OM, though. They get their name from buddhist meditation chants.
Quote by acdclandon
My Little Big Muff does it for me for those kind of tones.

Any Corrosion of Conformity fans?

Not the hardcore punk stuff, but the sludge metal stuff.

I'm pretty dam sure Pepper used a Big Muff for Albatross, at least it sounds like it.

Fuck yeah

Quote by Kevin Saale
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akt3awj_Ah8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SH2DNAB0Qo

Am I doin it right?

Does Corrosion of Conformity count, they're not bad. I don't really know what constitutes "doom" but I think I'm close here.

:thu:

CoC is sludge, btw. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVI2m6cbYtI
I honestly don't think Black Sabbath (both the band and the song) will ever stop being awesome.

edit - \/ It would make my day to see that. it really would.
Last edited by Mack56 at Sep 5, 2009,