Now, we all remember the first time we tried to write our songs. Some found it easy, some found it exciting but difficult and some found it boring and plain impossible. Unfortunately, I was in the latter section of the writing newbs.

I just wasn't able to find words that rhymed or think of a cool word to really release my emotion; so that in the end I started showing my emotion in a song with dull words like "anger" and "love" when I could be using "animosity" and "adulation"

This is why I'm compiling a list of what I find to be the most helpful websites. Gathered from my experiences. Hopefully this will help people who were in my position.

A simple thesaurus (any good writer's friend)

A website where you can find rhymes for almost any word you need

A lyrics website so you can look at other band's lyrics to learn how to write lyrics well

Lessons in song writing including copyrights, studios and more

And a dictionary website to look up those big, interesting words

Hope this helps any aspiring writers out there who aren't quite sure where to look for inspiration, help or a wider vocabulary
Last edited by leotus at Sep 4, 2009,
Quote by leotus
I just wasn't able to find words that rhymed or think of a cool word to really release my emotion; so that in the end I started showing my emotion in a song with dull words like "anger" and "love" when I could be using "animosity" and "adulation"

Using less common words isn't always going to make your lyrics that much better, and overusing them will just make your writing come off as pretentious. Don't rely on 'big words' to make up for having nothing to say.

One other thing I will say is to only use the rhyming dictionary as a last resort. You'll become much better at writing if you work out rhymes yourself, rather than running to a dictionary every 5 seconds.
No... Please don't misunderstand me man... I'm saying that I overused simplistic words in times when it would have been much more emotionally provoking or dramatically intensifying to use more descriptive words. Also, more importantly this is a tip guide for beginners. To be proficient in something you need to learn something. If someone genuinely doesn't know the words to rhyme because their vocabulary isn't wide enough then they come here. Hence me saying "help or a wider vocabulary"

I'm just trying to help, not patronise...
I know you're trying to help. I just wanted to offer some things that I've learnt from experience, to go alongside.

Reading my post back, it comes off as me criticising you, which wasn't what I intended.
Apologies.
No dude I totally agree... This shouldn't be used for laziness but should be used as a last resort when you genuinely have no idea what to do. Just a crutch to lean on for the less experienced people