Poll: School uniforms, for or against?
Poll Options
View poll results: School uniforms, for or against?
For
70 27%
Against
135 52%
Don't know/don't care
57 22%
Voters: 262.
Page 1 of 4
Should they be in place in schools or not? I know for the most part where i live (the UK) that most places schools have some sort of uniform although some are more strict than others.

What are your thoughts on them?

As far as i can see they served no useful purpose other than making me irritated due to wearing uncomfortable clothes for years during my secondary school time and don't forget the whole 'school rivals' thing that a lot of places have...
I love uniforms. They are always so trendy.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
uniforms are good cause its easier to get away with stuff cause you all look the same....
Do it, means you don't need to have a clean outfit for every day

And I don't have enough band shirts for that
Not at all, back when I was in school they let one year wear their own clothes for a month, so all the chavvy bastards in their scally trackies were worse than ever.

If you go to a posh, private sex laden school though I would imagine that it wouldn't be an issue though.
Yup. How crap would it be if (in addition to everything else) school was constantly poor-kids-with-crap-clothes vs. rich-kids-with-trendy-clothes?
Quote by Zoot Allures
Should they be in place in schools or not? I know for the most part where i live (the UK) that most places schools have some sort of uniform although some are more strict than others.

As far as i can see they served no useful purpose other than making me irritated due to wearing uncomfortable clothes for years during my secondary school time and don't forget the whole 'school rivals' thing that a lot of places have...

You really see no other purpose? Interesting.

I don't mind uniforms. I never had to wear them, but I also understand their purpose.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Quote by nigeltheginger
Do it, means you don't need to have a clean outfit for every day

And I don't have enough band shirts for that

Means it do, brother.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
No, because it takes away self-expression and promotes conformity.
Check out my band Disturbed
they're a waste of money poorly made meaning you have to by a new one every year and they make you look stupid
Now I'm a sixth former I don't need to worry about uniforms. Well not for the twenty-odd years until I'll be buying them for my children. So, for now I don't care.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by StewieSwan
No, because it takes away self-expression and promotes conformity.

Because everyone's identity is completely intermingled with the clothes they wear?

I P R O G

I never saw the harm in them, meant I don't have to buy as many clothes
Quote by 23dannybhoy23
Yup. How crap would it be if (in addition to everything else) school was constantly poor-kids-with-crap-clothes vs. rich-kids-with-trendy-clothes?

Having never had uniforms, I can tell you that dynamic isn't very prevalent. And I don't see why making the poor kids buy these particular items when they won't be able to afford the nicer versions the rich kids can AND it might be hard for them to buy a whole new wardrobe, I don't see why that would help.

AND it's super-easy to look like you belong at a uniformed school. Security fail.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Damm having to pick clothes for every day i know it sounds dumb but uniforms are sooooo much easier ......

plus the poor kids with crappy clothes wll get more bullied and thats not cool!!
Quote by MetalGS3SE
Because everyone's identity is completely intermingled with the clothes they wear?

Well, to be honest, yes. 90% of the time.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
Well, to be honest, yes. 90% of the time.

Well, it's nice to know that I become a completely different person every time I choose my carolina blue college shirt over my Opeth shirt.

I P R O G

My school got randomly strict this year about uniforms. I can see why they're in place, but the question of conformity does sit with me. If anything through music, we've all found a way to express ourselves and who we are as people. Obviously, for those who are tone deaf and can't keep a beat, clothes are probably the most obvious way we express ourselves and we should be allowed to do this. The problem of poor kids vs Rich kids doesn't really hold true as even with uniforms, you know who's poorer. They're the kids who wore the same pair of shoes throughout the 4 years of school. I vote against.
Against. I disagree with the idea that people should be made to look the same, for any reason. The reasons in favour of them don't really hold weight.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by 23dannybhoy23
Absolutely this, but I think that dress code/uniform can be too strict in many cases.

stratkat
My school has a uniform. I don't mind it (especially when the girls wear skirts )
last.fm
Quote by rockhard182
*opens happytimeharrys head* *finds nothing*

what a ripoff

Member #18 of the "Claudio Sanchez is God" Club. PM stepco12345 to join!
Quote by 23dannybhoy23

We have uniforms at my school, and it would be no more obvious who can and cannot afford decent clothes. We still have shoes, schoolbags, even just the quality of the uniform itself to make the comparison with.

I don't really see the point of wearing a uniform to school, but I can't really complain because my school doesn't really enforce it that strongly. If I had to tuck my shirt in, wear black shoes, no jeans, blazer, etc, I would be pissed off though.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
some uniforms are pretty snazzy.

Some are not.. ours make us all look like jock wannabe's..

I wear a t shirt
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by EuBoat
Absolutely this, but I think that dress code/uniform can be too strict in many cases.

Certainly, in my school it's against school rules to dye your hair. Unless, of course, you've died it blond, wich is grand
I'm against. People should be allowed to wear whatever they want to wear.

However, I wouldnt mind seeing a school uniform on certain girls...
"Most people are trying to simplify the world. We're definitely here to complicate it." - Dad
Quote by RocksAwakening5
I you for posting this.

<-- Pretty much sums me up

8/7/09

^ I was there
Quote by 23dannybhoy23

Refer to above post for my opinion.
I've gotten a lot of LOLs in my time but I choose not to sig them to not look like a pretentious douchebag

I couldn't care less, I can sort of understand why they're their but it's no big deal. I just laugh at the students who complain about "oh no now we have no identity, I'm faceless!."
Quote by MetalGS3SE
You really see no other purpose? Interesting.

I don't mind uniforms. I never had to wear them, but I also understand their purpose.

Sorry, i shoulda said 'no useful purpose' or at least no useful purpose to the ones wearing them. It's one of those things that they do in school to stamp out individuals.

Also in regards to the 'rich kids with nice clothes v poor kids with crap ones' I don't think that would happen, if it did there'd be far more poor kids than rich ones anyway but in college we don't need uniforms and i've had no trouble from it.
Quote by Zoot Allures
Sorry, i shoulda said 'no useful purpose' or at least no useful purpose to the ones wearing them. It's one of those things that they do in school to stamp out individuals.

Also in regards to the 'rich kids with nice clothes v poor kids with crap ones' I don't think that would happen, if it did there'd be far more poor kids than rich ones anyway but in college we don't need uniforms and i've had no trouble from it.

I'm not in college but I'd assume that by the time people get to college they would "grow up" a bit and wouldn't judge people as harshly as they would in highschool
last.fm
Quote by rockhard182
*opens happytimeharrys head* *finds nothing*

what a ripoff

Member #18 of the "Claudio Sanchez is God" Club. PM stepco12345 to join!
Quote by Zoot Allures

I don't see poor kids vs. rich kids in my school and I've been there for 3 years. It's just douchebags vs. douchebags, and people who don't give a ****. If the poor vs. rich thing occurs, it's only with freshman and kids who haven't grown the **** up yet. I don't remember the last time I heard someone say a comment about the quality of someone's clothes.
Dockers are actually pretty comfortable. Room to "breathe"
i'm with all three
A) you dont have to think about if what your wearing is cool (apparently matters)
B) Uniforms never fit me either too big or too small
C) They are just clothes
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
having worn them for 4 years, i like them. you dont have to think about what to wear and the girls always have to wear skirts. its great
'never a victim,' the role model said,
bang-bang, the bad guy is dead,
always a rockstar on eMpty TV,
the lesson complete, now the child has needs.
Quote by bass-man9712
i'm with all three
A) you dont have to think about if what your wearing is cool (apparently matters)
B) Uniforms never fit me either too big or too small
C) They are just clothes

A. Just pick some damn clothes.
Quote by Zoot Allures

want to rethink that notion thats swimming in your ocean?

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You sigged me, AND had an idea the same as mine!
I like you.

About my Lady Gaga/Pokemon parody
Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Page 1 of 4