I have on of these comin to me in the mail and I still need to find a good Cab setup. I've made threads already and I plan to get a 1x15 600w 4ohms cab and a 2x10 400w 4 ohms cab, both made by Carvin as well. Since that Head only pumps 400w @ 4 ohms it should be safe to run right since I'll end up having the 15 in the low freq and the 2x10 in the high freq?

Also, I don't quite understand the bridged thing. Are they saying that if I plug in a 4 ohm cab into the Bridged part I'll get 1200w out of it? So how would I run 1 Cab if I ever wanted to?

Also, would it be unwise to get a 2x10 @ 4ohms matched up with a 1x15 @ 8 ohms?

Thanks a lot.
Guitars
· Ibanez PF · Washburn WG-248 · Ibanez S520Ex
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
To start i will mention that the BX1200 actually has two power amps inside of it that run at 600watts @2ohms. When using the bridged mode it will run these two power amps together and you would be splitting the resistance from the speakers in half when it splits the chain to the two power amps you'd need a 4 ohm resistance here since each power amp would only get a 2 ohm resistance. 4/2 = 2....sorry if that was confusing. can't figure out how to explain better right now.

If you wanted to run them on seperate channels that would work fine. plug the 15" into the low output and the 2x10" into the high output. make sure the X-Over(stands for crossover) switch on the front is turned up(up = on of course) this will give you the biamp feature of the amp. simply flip the switch down and the crossover will no longer effect what frequencies are sent to which power amp, and in turn which cabinets.

If you want to run a single cabinet at 4 ohms but don't want to use the bridge mode simply plug the desired cabinet into one the Low or High frequency outputs and turn the X-Over off. this will put all frequencies into the cab and you'll be running one power amp at 4 ohms...so 400 watts which should be safe for your setup as long as you don't turn it all to 10 and start slapping.

When running both power amps at 4 ohms you'll actually be getting 800 watts of output. 400 into each cab.

Since this amp has dual volumes it wouldn't be horrible to get 2 cabs with different resistances...but i don't recommend it. you can always turn the volume down on the cab you'd want to be quieter. If you decide you want a little more power to go to the 15 than the 2x10 you'll be giving up either volume or headroom in your amp.

If anything needs clarification just let us know. either I or someone else will be happy to help...btw. i got all this information from the manual. Not directly but a little reading and the fact that i once looked into buying this head helped me figure it out.

Carvin amps are full of great versatile features. especially the bx1200. Pretty much any amp setup you want can be done.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Last edited by Revelation at Sep 4, 2009,
That cleared up a lot of crap for me, thanks a lot man. Can't wait to get this thing and get my cabs as well... Especially since I need this stuff in like 2 weeks since I have 3 big shows comin up, crap dude... Haha.
Guitars
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
Glad to be of assistance. If you ever need other, more complicate, rig setups just pm me. i once did a diagram of a huge setup for a guy that wanted to run 2 amps. he also wanted the ability to have one with effects and one without...and the abilitity to have both amps with effects...and the ability to have both amps clean. he decided not to do it since it involved a lot of ABY boxes and his own board haha. But it was an awesome looking setup idea. I seem to have a knack for those types of things. I help my lead guitarist(who has been playing over 20 years) set his stuff up with rack gear and such.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Seems like I'm finding a lot of good deals on 8 ohm cabs which is pissing me off a bit because I need my cabs in 2 weeks and I don't really have time to wait it out.

So now I'm wondering, would it be unwise to pick up 8 ohm cabs instead of 4 ohm cabs like I had intended? The BX1200 runs at 275w@8ohms so would it be a waste to get an 8ohm instead of a 4ohm? I also don't want to get like 4 cabs, haha.
Guitars
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
If the 8ohm cab you pick is a 4x10 it should be loud enough for what you need.
Trust me, 275 at 8ohm is VERY loud.

Plus, if you do get a 8ohm, you can always pair the 8ohm with a 4 ohm .
8ohm + 4ohm = 2.67 ohm
So you head can handle it.
Why not get 2 1x15's and 2 2x10's all at 8 ohms and run them all on eithier side. Then run the 10's dirty and the 15's clean and youve got an excellent setup.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
The 8ohm cabs I'm lookin at are all 2x10s. It's actually the Avatar B210 and B210NEO I've found great deals on and I'm really considering at picking up because of the price.

Man, I hate having to try to get all this gear in less than 2 weeks...
Guitars
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
Get them then, 2 2x10's stacked vertically have better dispersion then an 8x10 cab and the audience will be able to hear you alot better and clearer.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
If I got 2 2x10 cabs for now, would it be better to run them both at 400w@4ohms together or 275w@8ohms each.
Guitars
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
Doesnt matter really. An extra 150 watts isnt goingto make that much louder.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Okay, cool. I think I'll end up getting the 2x10s and 8ohms.
Guitars
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
Blah, instead of making another thread, I'll ask here. Think I have this right, but I'll just make sure. If I run 2 8ohms cabs on my head, it'll run 400w. Does that mean that both cabs get 200w?
Guitars
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
yes. each cab will get an even share of the wattage and then you would split the 200watts to the speakers in the cabs.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Here's a strange question. What if I ran an 8ohm and a 4ohm... That's 2.66, what kind of wattage would I get then? Since the head runs 400w@4ohms and 600w@2ohms.
Guitars
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
ummm well I'll assume that 2.66 ohms would get somewhere around. 525 watts....purely assumption. I think the 8 would get around 225 of that while the 4 ohm gets 300watts. there's tricky math here that i don't know but that's probably an ok approximate.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Well, I was able to score a Trace Elliot 1028H earlier today. That runs 400w@8ohms with an 800w Peak. Not really sure what that means though. So stupid question here, would I be able to run it into the bridged port that pumps 800w@8ohms, or would that just explode?

But I think I'm gonna pick up a 1x15 running 300w@8ohms. That should be s sufficient setup wouldn't you say?
Guitars
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
The you can use the trace elliot bridged as long as you dont clip the amp, if you start clipping you will damage it, but it will be fine as long as you dont.

great cab BTW
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
No way! That's doubling the wattage of the cabinet, that's just asking for trouble. At most people recommend 25% wattage increase from cabinet to head, not 100%! You would have to use the power amps individually to use that cab. That 210+115 setup sounds perfect, and in my mind one of the more ideal setups. Just make sure you don't run the cabs in bridged mode, but in crossover or dual mono (each into it's own power amp, but no crossover).
Ok well 400 watts will just be the thermal rating of the speaker which is generally lower then the RMS and alot alot lower then the peak power. Now as long as he doesn't clip the amp it should be fine as long as everything is truthful if you get me.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Peak power doesn't mean anything. All that means is that for very short spurts of time it can handle X amount of wattage. It's only for very quick surges in sound. So it only has 800 watts peak. The speaker itself cannot even handle 1200 watts for a very small amount of time, never mind at a constant rate. It can do 400 watts thermal, which, as far as I know, is the same as RMS. However, a cabinets RMS wattage is definitely lower than it's peak wattage, generally about 1/2, which means that the cabinets power handling is way too low for the amplifier. Even the most aggressive of the people in the "overpower your speakers for professional sound systems" camp will suggest only doubling the RMS wattage of your cabinet in your amplifier (which I personally do not understand, but that's what they tell me) not tripling it. Any way you look at it, the classical and more sense making view of equalling your cabinet and amplifier wattage or the weird pro sound way of doubling wattage, that cabinet cannot handle that amp when it's bridged.
watts are actually a thermal rating therefore RMS = thermal rating. just thought i should back that up.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian