So pit, I've been given this prompt for an essay. Problem is, I can't seem to understand the concept of "who am I as a reader."

Can anyone clarify this for me? I have a lot of projects due next week and I need your help on this one.
who you are at the time you read.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
Excessive masturbator? I'm not sure I understand the question.
Goodness gracious me!
maybe who are you,as an audience to the book.

Like for some books your a confident, such as frankenstien or catcher in the rye

for some your an audience, harry potter etc

for some your like a charachter , 1st person books
Quote by imdeth
Centorium you dick
I keep lookin behind me,You're amazing at this

Quote by Aerokizzombie
Dam,Cent, ur repeating man scares the shit out of me, its so true

Quote by CodChick
Omg Cent,Ive been havin nightmares because of u

Quote by MCMXCII
**** you man,I was just going to bed

I'm scary
Quote by dubstar92
who you are at the time you read.

I am currently a Master at the moment.

Whoever reads this is currently a homosexual. So for 2-3 seconds you are gay?
Last edited by metaldud536 at Sep 4, 2009,
What kind of books do you read? Umm......are you a good reader, do you imagine yourself in the story or visualize it, do you analyze the story.....

That's what the question means I think.
I've heard some vague essay prompts, but man...

This could be interpreted one grillion ways.
Quote by Bizarro
Excessive masturbator? I'm not sure I understand the question.

Exactly.

My teacher just gave me a piece of paper that said, "Who are you as a reader... Make a 2-page essay, etc etc.."
Quote by joshua122593
Exactly.

My teacher just gave me a piece of paper that said, "Who are you as a reader... Make a 2-page essay, etc etc.."

Just write "My name is Robert Paulson" over and over.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
Hmm, reminds me of all my times in english class. Another part to look at is from the writers perspective. Who is his audience? If its a business report, your audience would be your boss, your investors, your potential investors, government, and probably others. As a novel writer, your audience might be children, or adults, or teens, or a combination of them. Another part might be people who are in drug rehab, people who have had bad childhoods, people who like fantasy, or maybe someone who is interested in WW2.

Lets say you write a book about WW2. There can be many audiences to attract. One would be children and teens to inform them of things that happened. It could be people who want action and excitement. It could be people who want to see strategy and problem solving. It could be someone who wants to just know about everything that happened. It could be someone looking for inspiration in their life (like Chicken Soup for the Soul). Depending on your audience, you will probably write the book many different ways.

So I come to your specific question: Who are you as a reader. Well, its a very broad topic. Who are you when you read specific things? When you read an advertisement, who are you. When you read a history book, who are you? When you read a newspaper, who are you? When you read a novel, who are you? When you read this post, who are you?

I think that is how the question is asking. It might also just be asking for your motivations to read and what that makes you. I don't really know for sure.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
Thank you, Chaos Nil. You have successfully clarified the prompt and essentially saved my ass from APECL.

Quote by centorium
maybe who are you,as an audience to the book.

Like for some books your a confident, such as frankenstien or catcher in the rye

for some your an audience, harry potter etc

for some your like a charachter , 1st person books

This.

I'm pretty sure I've had this question, and it was about different prespectives.
the person who looks for tl;dr in a book
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You sigged me, AND had an idea the same as mine!
I like you.

About my Lady Gaga/Pokemon parody
Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Quote by joshua122593
Exactly.

Read the book, decide what kind of a reader should you be based on the book, e.g. 1st person makes you feel as if you are the character, or you're just an audience, etc, like centorium said, then write a two page essay on what kind of reader you for that book, and why, giving valid points and textual evidence (quotations).