Ohk, the school tallent show is in 4-6 months, and my friends and i have decided to form a band and completely blow away everyone. We all have played our respective instruments for quite some time, and we will be able to quickly pull together and learn 1 or 2 songs. But i need a song that will entertain the audience, while making it a preformance to remember. Genres: Hard rock, metal,screamo,emo,hardcore.
-Jake Blackwood
*generic famous hard rock song*

MushroomEDIT: I'm entirely serious. Nothing hits home at a talent show audience like a good rendition of a really famous song or a brilliant performance of a self-written song.

S t a i r s s r i a t S

Last edited by MushroomBomb at Sep 4, 2009,
There really needs to be an "Official" thread for these.
Not necessarily stoned, but beautiful.
Can you play Dream Theater? If so, play their new single A Rite of Passage.
Quote by BLToast
There really needs to be an "Official" thread for these.

i agree. why not make one?

And i dont want a generic song. i need something unique and not something everyones heard
-Jake Blackwood
i believe in a thing called love- the darkness
knights of cydonia- muse

not very hard but they sound awsome if you do them right
Emerse your soul in love

You used to be alright What happened?

Yellow tigers crouched in jungles in her Dark Eyes .
Quote by Gregray88
Can you play Dream Theater? If so, play their new single A Rite of Passage.

I highly doubt if they have to ask about what to play, they can't play a rite of passage. That song is still brutal though
The Dance of Eternity.

If you can do it, then do it.
My Old Progressive Metal Band:
Acrasia
For fans of Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, Cynic.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
if you want a good crowd reaction the more well known the better. i would steer clear of emo hardcore. if its metal it can only really be metallica unless people at your school are all metalheads. go with a classic song people know (ac/dc, zeppelin, foo fighters, oasis, maybe fall out boy if you want to do emo)
you want to impress people, cover a song by the band Return To Forever, they are jazz/fusion sort of so you would need to jack it up likea mother ****er, but trust me you can do it and it will be cool, I don't like metal, but either cover them (and edit to your taste in music) steely dan, ,or miles davis, that would be intense, literally, I've heard some other metal bands cover jazz like that and its so cool (if you like metal)
I suggest a Fall of Troy song. Act one, Scene one is a good one to do. Especially if your singing and playing guitar at the same time. If you want something a bit easier, I think The Night by Disturbed would be a great song to do. Really awesome song, with a wicked solo, and the cool tempo changes between the verse and chorus.
Quote by heavyairship
i believe in a thing called love- the darkness
knights of cydonia- muse

not very hard but they sound awsome if you do them right

this

I write songs.
YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THEM
Currently Requiring Crits:
none
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1124977

However, the thread hardly existed anyways.

Also, I suggest a good miscellaneous song. Mainstream may get a nice crowd response but if you play something REALLY good and they like it they will be asking you what song that was for a long time. Or, a neo-classical piece. That never fails to please.

Example.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn0JxTiiGDE
I've gotten a lot of LOLs in my time but I choose not to sig them to not look like a pretentious douchebag

It would help to post the band line-up. I mean, it's assumed that you have two guitarists because of the genres you posted, but still, you should post a line-up.
The big, well known bands would probably be the way to go if you're gonna do covers UNLESS you can pull of something technical and awe inspiring. I'm in a Smashing Pumkins mood, so I'm gonna suggest Siva or Cherub Rock.