Hey guys

My band is being interviewed for the first time next Wednesday . It'll be a casual video Q&A thing, with an acoustic performance at the end.

I'm really excited as this should be fun and will be great publicity for us

So does anybody have any tips or things we should know/do before diving into this?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks!
never say anything negative
Fender Jim Root Signature Telecaster
Martin Westside Custom Edition
Peavey 6505
Peavey XXX Cab
ISP Decimator Prorack G
Sennheiser EW172 G3
Sennheiser wireless IEM
Ibanez TS9DX
Boss TU-2 Tuner
MY BAND:
http://www.myspace.com/thedirtyyouth
Make sure your high. That will make a good impression.
GO RAVENS!

Quote by Ssargentslayer
Waaaait....

Did you just say you can't rape?

2012 NFL Thread Mock Draft Champion
Honestly the best things I'd recommend (from experience) are the simplest

1. Don't ramble - No-one likes someone who talks for 5 minutes about one topic... Keep it short and sweet.

2. Be enthusiastic about what you're saying otherwise people will think you're dull and boring. But don't come over as desperate and attention whoring.

3. Think before you speak - Don't blurt out any answer willy nilly. Do your best to think out a decent answer within a few seconds of answering it.

4. Limit your fillers as much as possible - Don't say umm, uhh etc. too often otherwise it will get annoying and distracting.

5. Rehearse the interview at home a few times before you leave

6. Don't be nervous - Because when you're nervous you might panic and just say anything (I don't know you well enough to judge )

Yeah... That's all I can remember for now... Hope it helps some
I'll also mention;

- Make sure that everyone gets a go at answering questions, if you feel that you are talking too much, deflect the question to a member who isn't speaking as much.

- Don't try to make up things to sound funny; the audience will generally know nothing about you and they'll take it seriously, not as a joke (because it's not funny) and your bandmates will not be too happy.

- Don't badmouth another bandmate, either for musical or personal reasons, keep it to complements.

- Quite an obvious one, but don't get drunk/high before the interview. People who do this tend to get themselves into quite a lot of crap.

A couple of months ago my band was interviewed. The singer rocked up late + tipsy, and continued to drink through the 40 min interview and 20 min music recording.

The first ten minutes was a ramble about how I was gay (he's one of those guys who thinks it's funny to call his mates gay). Obviously this is an interview so they take it seriously and ask about how my sexuality affected the songwriting procedure.

Later he tells them I actively cheat on my girlfriend (which I don't). This is just met by silence.

He also tells them I have Apache Indian heritage. Which I don't. Silence.

He also went on long rambles about the songwriting procedure and what inspired him. I'm not sure whether it was true or not, but at one point he nearly cried (I swear) when he realised he'd passed up some opportunities in his life. Or maybe he was just getting to the emotional drunk stage. No matter.

Well this crap is going to be on the internet forever, yay

Although I was originally going to use this podcast as something I could pass to prospective bars and such, there's no way I can give it now. It's just idiotic. The drummer messaged me after the interview and we've decided we're leaving the band after we record the album.

Edit: And that's why you should follow the advice above
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Last edited by AlanHB at Sep 4, 2009,
Alan, in one of these threads I advised murder as a solution to life's problems. apply that advice towards your former singer.
you NEED to post that interview here Alan

Question: Whats a good way to decide who's gonna answer which question during the interview without two people clashing by trying to answer it at the same time?
hell man, i'd just say both go for it. one of you will stop talking or say something like "you take this one man," etc.

that or you'll both keep going and confuse the **** out of the interviewer... komedy

worst case scenerio, they ask something like, idk, "what's your band's influences and crap," and you say whatever, "rolling stones this... metallica that..." and someone else in the band pipes up with "robert downey jr! marshmellow icecream and pogo sticks!"

key ingredient is to appear cool without looking like you're trying to be cool (which, upon discovery makes you out to be a bunch of douche bags) all while being likeable people. think "more slash, less YEEENGWEE"

and the old rule of thumb applies, better to keep your mouth shut and let them think you're an idiot than to open it and prove them right.

now, it's an interview, and i'm assuming you're not in an on-top-of-the-world band (yet), so, you try pulling some "no comment" crap, and it'll end quicker than you'd like... at the same time though, you're probably not going to be interviewed by a pulitzer winner. it's all about give and take. you give them their article, they give you press kit fodder and a local plug. play the game, and play it kool. good luck bro.
Quote by GrisKy
key ingredient is to appear cool without looking like you're trying to be cool (which, upon discovery makes you out to be a bunch of douche bags) all while being likeable people. think "more slash, less YEEENGWEE

Thanks for the advice!
*Sip wine*
*Long pause*
"Satan"

Repeat
Quote by craig-sansum
+10000000000000000000000000000000000

Quote by Sanitarium91
Liking the cosmic toad vocals is a sign of exquisite taste, so good on you!
Quote by GrisKy
Alan, in one of these threads I advised murder as a solution to life's problems. apply that advice towards your former singer.

GrisKy, I criticised you for suggesting murder, but in this case, I'll let you have it Alan, why haven't you already murdered him, if someone did that to me, I'd beat him to death with a hoover pipe.
be humorous and charming

████████████████████

███████████████████████
███████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████████

█████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████

█████████████████████

████████████████████
Quote by GrisKy
key ingredient is to appear cool without looking like you're trying to be cool (which, upon discovery makes you out to be a bunch of douche bags) all while being likeable people.

You know, I think I've stumbled upon a secret formula for looking cool without appearing like you're trying to look cool - and all the while appearing likeable and never once coming into danger of being discovered trying to look cool.

Now, listen carefully - and you might want to write this down; to appear cool without seeming like you're trying to be cool - to appear likeable and not ever be in danger of being discovered as desperately trying to be cool, what you do is whatever the fuck you want, so long as you're not being a dick.

Got that? Find out what you're passionate about, do it - without caring what other people think of it and try not to be mean. It's complex, I know, but it's really worth it - no-one will ever find out you're just a poser (and aren't really cool at all) if you follow those steps.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
Quote by SilentHeaven109
GrisKy, I criticised you for suggesting murder, but in this case, I'll let you have it Alan, why haven't you already murdered him, if someone did that to me, I'd beat him to death with a hoover pipe.

Yes, if you hear the interview, you'll wonder what is going on. My girlfriend said she started listening to the interview at first, but that there was too much "gay sex" talk going on. I'm not really surprised.

Why haven't I killed him? Well, he's a good songwriter, and I've already decided to leave the band. I'm proud of the work I've done on the songs so want to record an album, then announce I'm leaving immediately after it's finished. If I tell him sooner he'll just not want to record.

Not exactly behaviour becoming of a 35 year old eh?
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Yes, if you hear the interview, you'll wonder what is going on. My girlfriend said she started listening to the interview at first, but that there was too much "gay sex" talk going on. I'm not really surprised.

Why haven't I killed him? Well, he's a good songwriter, and I've already decided to leave the band. I'm proud of the work I've done on the songs so want to record an album, then announce I'm leaving immediately after it's finished. If I tell him sooner he'll just not want to record.

Not exactly behaviour becoming of a 35 year old eh?

He'll not want to record if you have a pop at him for calling you gay in a serious interview? He sounds like a 4 year old, I think you having a bit of a go at him was the least he could have expected after that

Do you have a link to the interview? I kinda wanna hear this
Quote by SilentHeaven109
He'll not want to record if you have a pop at him for calling you gay in a serious interview? He sounds like a 4 year old, I think you having a bit of a go at him was the least he could have expected after that

Do you have a link to the interview? I kinda wanna hear this

I just started re-listening to the interview. It appears that some of the worst stuff may have been cut out.

I did listen to the first 17 minutes however, the singer is still answering a lot of questions directed at me. He also states that the band's name is "The Camels" instead of "The Camals" which has been an issue that was settled 6 months previously that he lost. However he states "The Camels" just to be a dick I guess.

He says I was in a long term relationship at the time I wrote a certain song, and this is made up.

I guess just take everything he says as made up, and you'll realise the predicament I was put in. The entire interview is trying to play along and not starting fights.

Note: The first song is not called "Alan's Coming Out Song"; it didn't have a name at the time of this recording. The singer wrote the names of the songs down on a piece of paper for the interviewer to refer to. The name "Alan's Coming Out Song" is another "joke" that I'm gay, and I get stuck in a situation as to explaining why the song is called that.

And now presenting: How Not to Do an Interview!

http://www.culturazi.com/?p=1773
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I just started re-listening to the interview. It appears that some of the worst stuff may have been cut out.

I did listen to the first 17 minutes however, the singer is still answering a lot of questions directed at me. He also states that the band's name is "The Camels" instead of "The Camals" which has been an issue that was settled 6 months previously that he lost. However he states "The Camels" just to be a dick I guess.

He says I was in a long term relationship at the time I wrote a certain song, and this is made up.

I guess just take everything he says as made up, and you'll realise the predicament I was put in. The entire interview is trying to play along and not starting fights.

Note: The first song is not called "Alan's Coming Out Song"; it didn't have a name at the time of this recording. The singer wrote the names of the songs down on a piece of paper for the interviewer to refer to. The name "Alan's Coming Out Song" is another "joke" that I'm gay, and I get stuck in a situation as to explaining why the song is called that.

And now presenting: How Not to Do an Interview!

http://www.culturazi.com/?p=1773

You're pretty good on your feet, but that was just painful to listen to at parts.

"What came out? Your penis came out..." ...

If any bandmates ever embarrassed me like that, they wouldn't be my bandmates anymore, that's for sure.
Quote by SilentHeaven109
You're pretty good on your feet, but that was just painful to listen to at parts.

"What came out? Your penis came out..." ...

If any bandmates ever embarrassed me like that, they wouldn't be my bandmates anymore, that's for sure.

I have to admit some very good calls were made on me, later there's one that even I laughed at. I wasn't embarrassed as such (gigging muso's don't really have that feeling), but I was getting pretty pissed off with the singer, who should know better. I am leaving this band, but it's looking like I won't even get to record due to more "singer issues". Oh well, easy come, easy go Some good music did come out of the band though.

Yes, interviews can be pretty important in some ways, as I've demonstrated. Just keep respect for eachother high, and keep the focus on the band. If one person is asked a specific question, let them answer that question. If the band generally is asked a question, let bandmembers whom haven't spoken much have a go. A lot of people aren't naturally forward and may need a prompt for them to enter.
Soundcloud
Yikes! Alan, You're a better man than I am. I would have buried that so far into obscurity, that it would never find its way out. It is a pretty good lesson though, and it was good of you to share it.
Quote by chokmool
Yikes! Alan, You're a better man than I am. I would have buried that so far into obscurity, that it would never find its way out. It is a pretty good lesson though, and it was good of you to share it.

Cheers! Better to learn from the mistakes of others eh?

I also have videos of my first time singing on stage - it's horrible! It's on youtube and I get regular comments telling me that I'm crap. But I keep it as a measure of how far I've come.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Cheers! Better to learn from the mistakes of others eh?

I also have videos of my first time singing on stage - it's horrible! It's on youtube and I get regular comments telling me that I'm crap. But I keep it as a measure of how far I've come.

Can you give the link to the video of that as well? It can't be worse than that interview

I'll give you the link to a vid from my first gig, as a convincer :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t7bDUfIXDY
I'm on drums, didn't mess up too much here, although I completely cocked up some other songs
Last edited by SilentHeaven109 at Sep 6, 2009,
Maybe we should make a thread of "Worst Live Videos" to make it more appropriate
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Maybe we should make a thread of "Worst Live Videos" to make it more appropriate

Great idea. Not sure where it would go exactly though
My first obvious thought would be the Pit but I know what most people are like there
You know, I think I've stumbled upon a secret formula for looking cool without appearing like you're trying to look cool - and all the while appearing likeable and never once coming into danger of being discovered trying to look cool.

Now, listen carefully - and you might want to write this down; to appear cool without seeming like you're trying to be cool - to appear likeable and not ever be in danger of being discovered as desperately trying to be cool, what you do is whatever the fuck you want, so long as you're not being a dick.

Got that? Find out what you're passionate about, do it - without caring what other people think of it and try not to be mean. It's complex, I know, but it's really worth it - no-one will ever find out you're just a poser (and aren't really cool at all) if you follow those steps.

+ A lot

As long as you don't have any insecurities, just doing what you do and not caring what everyone thinks is cool. It's when you try to be something you're not that makes you seem 'uncool'.