Okay.
So I've heard it in a few places before..

I noticed it more recently in the song Dynamite by the Scorpions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffKBt5YAFh4
go to 1:40 into it for the guitar solo.

and if you want to see him play it live then:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96S07IlZ7bY
go to 1:46 into it
the quality sucks but you can see him playing it.. and he like is running his right hand down the fret board while doing something with the left.. i guess just hitting notes with that one.

iuno what he's doing overall though..

what is this technique and how's it done??
Looked kind of like he was scraping his pick down the strings. Just a guess though.
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
it looks like a form of tapping really... but instead of tapping hes just holding a note with his right fingers
its 'machine gun harmonics' basically, you play legato with your lest hand, while using your right hand to run slowly down the string, just lightly touching it as if you were playing a harmonic. to dothis though, you need fairly high output pickups and some distortion
I love my keyboardist, he's hot.

Quote by phlip999
The Pit is the epitome of higher learning and full of intillectual people who help the masses solve their problems.

The Llama Forum Bagel Group
Quote by BobChicken
its 'machine gun harmonics' basically, you play legato with your lest hand, while using your right hand to run slowly down the string, just lightly touching it as if you were playing a harmonic. to dothis though, you need fairly high output pickups and some distortion

This.

Also, it can be done on acoustic- just sounds different, like pinch harmonics do.
It's harmonics. You can grab natural harmonics just about anywhere, it's just that 5, 7 and 12 ring out the best.

Do like a 4th fret, pull-off to 2nd, p/o to open on the G-string. While trilling between those notes, use your right hand to lightly rest a finger or the butt of your palm on the string. (The normal pressure you'd use when trying to play a harmonic.) Then slide your right hand down the string while maintaining very light pressure. You'll get a weird descending harmonic sound.
Quote by zincabopataurio
Whoa I was just about to make a thread about what think is the same thing. Is what this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgxRgrvh4UE is doing at about :52 (just after the tapping part, where his pick seems to move off the fret board) the same thing the TS mentioned, only with his pick right?

No, he's tapping very rapidly with his pick. Pick tapping =/= Palm harmonics
Quote by The_Toki
No, he's tapping very rapidly with his pick. Pick tapping =/= Palm harmonics

I know he's tapping with his pick, but then afterwards, he starts sliding his pick past the frets. I dunno I think I should make a new thread, I dun want to hijack this thread.
Quote by zincabopataurio
I know he's tapping with his pick, but then afterwards, he starts sliding his pick past the frets. I dunno I think I should make a new thread, I dun want to hijack this thread.

Oh, I see what you mean. Afterwards, when he goes up the neck past the fretboard, he's letting the pick's edge act as a fret across the string. Bumblefoot uses a similar technique to get those high notes in "Guitars Suck" as seen here
okayy. I figured it was something like that.

I've done this sort of thing except I used the left hand to fret the harmonics instead.. so he's doing with the right + notes = more going on. woo.

thanks guys.