Ok, i got an issue. I want to get a new piece of sound gear. But i don't know what. I play Bluesy Hard Rock with a bit of a twist, Like QOTSA with a bit of an AC/DC approach to the blues. I want to know the best way for me to get louder, and more, i dont know, in control of my sound, heres my gear that i have. A boss ME-70 multi effects with pre-amp and A Crate GFX-65. By spending the least amount of money possible, what should i do? New Amp? Sell the GFX-65 and just run into a cab from my effects? Help me cuz i'm a noob when it comes to these issues.
Last edited by DuckWalker94 at Sep 4, 2009,
Well yeah. but any specific one? preferably cheap, say under $400 and not crappy. I don't need a marshall.
Do you gig at all?
Willing to go used?

In the end you should sell your Crate, you'll probably leave it in the dust once you get your new amp. If you get the money from your Crate if you sell it to increase the fund and go used, you should be able to get something good.

Any specific area you're in? I'm on Craigslist myself and wouldn't mind doing some searching.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
I gig, mostly at stuff like bars, i think the biggest gig coming up is some charity event we got blackmailed into at a high school, i gotta fill up a large cafeteria and be able to put up with mic'd drums and our singer.
If you can get a good used Peavey Windsor head (even though it's fairly cheap as it is you're budget fairly tight) and a cab for it (Avatar could give you a cheap one, or you can just get another used cab) that would suit you plenty.

If not that a used Peavey Vypyr 60W tube combo would be good also. Not the most elite for the type of stuff you play but it can handle it well.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7

^Lol.

5W tube won't get past much alone (no mic), considering he's playing a school cafeteria I doubt he'll have a PA to hook up to, unless the principal let's him borrow the announcement mic and he plays in the office.

Even the higher wattage Blackheart's wouldn't suit him all that well, and are fairly out of his budget, even used...
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7

Last edited by ZeroCS at Sep 5, 2009,
Peavey Classic 30 should do the trick.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Quote by ZeroCS
If you can get a good used Peavey Windsor head (even though it's fairly cheap as it is you're budget fairly tight) and a cab for it (Avatar could give you a cheap one, or you can just get another used cab) that would suit you plenty.

If not that a used Peavey Vypyr 60W tube combo would be good also. Not the most elite for the type of stuff you play but it can handle it well.

These would be good and also u might want to check of a used Peavey Classic 30, i've seen them used for around $400
Gear
Guitars
- Ibanez GRX20
- Austin SG
- Alveraz Artist Acoustic Electric
Amps
- Kustom 15W
- Peavey Vypyr 75W
- Monitor speaker!
Effects
- Behringer V-Amp Multi-effects
- Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
- Tubescreamer
- Sampera I
for seriously underated all tube that gives you another option outside of peavey etc... check out the laney LC series. 15 W if you just want to practice, 30 W id consider using for certain gigs. I have one and its great.

Pros- they are cheap, great tone, great for rock and bluesy sounds

Cons- people might diss you because its not a boogie/ marshall/ peavey

(but then who really gives a sh*t what other folks think right?)
^^ i agree to a point:
Pro's: Cheap, good tone
Cons: The LC series sound a little more brittle than the VC's.
The VC has less gain, but with a boost is an allround better amp IMO. Also, laneys are much better value in Europe than the states
Quote by Pennderinn
These would be good and also u might want to check of a used Peavey Classic 30, i've seen them used for around $400

Was thinking about recommending that.

I didn't because he has to keep up with mic'd drums and a singer, and has no
PA system to hook up to in that school gig (unless they set up one in the cafeteria, which would be a pretty banging' school if they'd do that), so I went for something with a little more higher wattage.

Then again I'm really not sure how loud 30W tube is...
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7

30w tube is a lot louder than it gets credit for, but it's still a little lacking for mic'd drums. makes me wonder though, what is your drummer running those mics to if there's no PA? seems like it'd be an easy fix to get ahold of whoever's gonna be running the board ahead of time and tell him to bring another mic for your cab.
I should have mentioned that the cafeteria is a cafetorium, so there is a pa system.
Quote by ZeroCS
^Lol.

5W tube won't get past much alone (no mic), considering he's playing a school cafeteria I doubt he'll have a PA to hook up to, unless the principal let's him borrow the announcement mic and he plays in the office.

Even the higher wattage Blackheart's wouldn't suit him all that well, and are fairly out of his budget, even used...

What about the 15w Blackheart Handsome Devil? (all tube)
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!