Quote by CODE
Any advice on what to get?

I have a cheap m-audio interface that is pretty much not useable, so I want to get pro tools.

What should I get? Just software for mixing and programming or an m-box setup? I really don't know what to get.

wa hat??? are you looking for software or hardware or both??? need to be a little clearer
Quote by CODE
Like $200 for software, $350 for a combo deal.

And I feel like pro tools is the industry standard and most common software for pc users, and I want to be able to do mixing work for other bands too, so i do want pro tools

alright, i just have to recommend reaper, its 60$ and its pretty much just as capable as pro tools le. so if you really want pro-tools you need either m-audio gear or digidesign gear.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Digidesign-Mbox-2-Mini-?sku=700498

this is the cheapest youll get with hardware and software.
Yeah, pro tools is a waste of money unless you're spending over half a grand. I'd take a look at Reaper + whatever interface will take the mics you're looking at, in that budget maybe an SM57 to mic your amp (if it's any good) or DI the guitar and get some amp sim software.
Quote by Tombe
With pedals you can throw your guitar down for an impromptu pedal drone solo, whereas if you did that on a rack it would just look like you were programming your washing machine.
Sure ProTools is a standard however not for PC users. ProTools seems to run a little better on a Mac and that's what most studios run these days.

Look into a combo package at the online stores.

I personally use ProTools but much prefer Cakewalk Sonar Producer or Adobe Audition for the quicker work flow. Just because software and hardware is labeled "industry standard" doesn't mean you have to or should go for it when building a studio. You should get products that work well and you enjoy working with.
Alright, I am mainly looking to be able to mix really well. After spending 2 days in a studio watching my bands engineer work with pro tools, it makes me really want it.

I would just be recording demos so I don't need a ton of inputs for drums. I could get good enough sound for our pre-production demos, and I would be able to do mixing for other bands that do their own tracking.
Quote by Union Of V
Yeah, pro tools is a waste of money unless you're spending over half a grand. I'd take a look at Reaper + whatever interface will take the mics you're looking at, in that budget maybe an SM57 to mic your amp (if it's any good) or DI the guitar and get some amp sim software.

I have an all tube amp and a 57, and I got great tone out of it on my cheap m-audio fasttrack before it took a **** on my computer.
Quote by CODE
Alright, I am mainly looking to be able to mix really well. After spending 2 days in a studio watching my bands engineer work with pro tools, it makes me really want it.

In the 21st century of free VSTs and computers in every home it's more down to the mixing engineer's skills than his equipment, give him Reaper, LiquidMix and a few free reverb VSTs and he would have done pretty good job anyway. Sure we all want Waves and McDSP but I don't think anyone in this forum would be able to use them to their full advantage.
Quote by Tombe
With pedals you can throw your guitar down for an impromptu pedal drone solo, whereas if you did that on a rack it would just look like you were programming your washing machine.
Quote by moody07747
Sure ProTools is a standard however not for PC users. ProTools seems to run a little better on a Mac and that's what most studios run these days.

Look into a combo package at the online stores.

I personally use ProTools but much prefer Cakewalk Sonar Producer or Adobe Audition for the quicker work flow. Just because software and hardware is labeled "industry standard" doesn't mean you have to or should go for it when building a studio. You should get products that work well and you enjoy working with.

mac tunnel vision , also pc is cheaper , easier to upgrade , window release the codes to dd to develop pt before mac . AND PROTOOLS RUNS SMOOTHER ON PC THAN IT DOES MAC

cannot wait until my college course at james watt starts up properly so i can get a heavy discount
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Quote by hans the lefty
mac tunnel vision , also pc is cheaper , easier to upgrade , window release the codes to dd to develop pt before mac . AND PROTOOLS RUNS SMOOTHER ON PC THAN IT DOES MAC

cannot wait until my college course at james watt starts up properly so i can get a heavy discount

pc tunnel vision. 99% of commercial studios run Protools HD on a Mac.
and it runs far, far smoother on OS X than Windows.
Quote by TheDriller
pc tunnel vision. 99% of commercial studios run Protools HD on a Mac.
and it runs far, far smoother on OS X than Windows.

im assuming tunnel vision means that their a fanboy? example mac tunnel vision = mac fan boy???

anyways i cant say whether pro tools is faster on a mac or pc. i have a feeling its the same on each also i dont know if id say 99% of studios use macs, i know a fair amount do, but in the past few years id say pc have caught up to macs and now its merely down to budget and personal preferance.
Quote by Union Of V
In the 21st century of free VSTs and computers in every home it's more down to the mixing engineer's skills than his equipment, give him Reaper, LiquidMix and a few free reverb VSTs and he would have done pretty good job anyway. Sure we all want Waves and McDSP but I don't think anyone in this forum would be able to use them to their full advantage.

I would like to disagree strongly on several levels.

Firstly, nobody can use anything to it's full potential technically speaking and I think you'll find I could..
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by hans the lefty

Where can you get a student discount? I have a college ID from taking pseo courses
Quote by CODE
Where can you get a student discount? I have a college ID from taking pseo courses

well im in scotland so i dont know where you can get your discount
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Quote by CODE
Ok, I know they have an education discount for pro tools 8 but I don't know if I qualify.

well if your a student or teacher than you have an academic discount. im not sure about staff and the like, but i mean if you have an id card or a report card you can just fax those to the company. im not sure about the teacher, but if your a currently enrolled student you will have a discount.
If they are anything like apple, you can probably con them into thinking you should have the discount. Worked with my macbook pro .
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by CODE
Sweet, I'm going to get an ipod touch or a macbook probably. I'm in high school still, but i have a college ID and everything for taking off campus night courses through the college where I get time off of school.

high school students get a discount. i believe i even got one way back in like 7th grade (middle school)
Do not buy anything from LAMUSIC.CA-their online servive is awful and you will be lucky if your goods arrive. Enquiries to the shop are futile SHOP ELSEWHERE -SPREAD THE WORD
check out on a google search lamusic.ca rant or rave
I'm going to have to disagree with everyone saying that Reaper is just as good or better than Pro Tools. Although I will say that reaper is solid sofware, there is no question that the editing, effects and virtual instruments that come with Pro Tools 8 (the current version) are FAR supperior to those of Reaper. If you plan to record often and become good at mixing, you will want the best you can afford.

However, how exactly do you plan to just buy the software? It is a requirement for Pro Tools to be connected to its supported Digidesign hardware to run. Furthermore, an M-Box rig alone is not going to be enough to record a full band. You will only be able to record up to 2 tracks at a time, making it pretty much impossible to create a good mix (unless you've magically gotten all the levels, effects, other settings right prior to recording). For a PT set up for recording a full band, you're looking at no less than $1000 for the interface and software alone (you will still need to buy mics, monitors, etc).

Now, if you just want to MIX for other bands, buy an MBox mini or micro and import the wav files, already recorded, into pro tools. This requires the band to record "on the grid" to ensure everything will be properly alligned in PT.
Quote by mccabe24
I'm going to have to disagree with everyone saying that Reaper is just as good or better than Pro Tools. Although I will say that reaper is solid sofware, there is no question that the editing, effects and virtual instruments that come with Pro Tools 8 (the current version) are FAR supperior to those of Reaper. If you plan to record often and become good at mixing, you will want the best you can afford.

However, how exactly do you plan to just buy the software? It is a requirement for Pro Tools to be connected to its supported Digidesign hardware to run. Furthermore, an M-Box rig alone is not going to be enough to record a full band. You will only be able to record up to 2 tracks at a time, making it pretty much impossible to create a good mix (unless you've magically gotten all the levels, effects, other settings right prior to recording). For a PT set up for recording a full band, you're looking at no less than $1000 for the interface and software alone (you will still need to buy mics, monitors, etc).

Now, if you just want to MIX for other bands, buy an MBox mini or micro and import the wav files, already recorded, into pro tools. This requires the band to record "on the grid" to ensure everything will be properly alligned in PT.

reapers plugs can hold up agianst protools easily. super easily actually. now its true for editing that protools is the best. i mean its daw designed for audio editing,

Reapers work space and routing KILLS protools though. its routing actually ****s all over it. you can side chain anything easier than ****.