I'm currently in my first semester at Rutgers University, and I could really use some help decideding my career path. I want to do something related to music, but I don't want a job as a preforming musician. I'm considering teaching, but I was wondering if there was a way to get a job working closer with musicians that pays the bills. I was thinking about things like managing a band, producing, or anything at all in the recording industry where I will be working around music. Any ideas... and if so do you know what I should major in order to get that career?
Hmmm, if you were to manage a band you should definitley take some business classes, I'm not sure about producing though. You said you didn't want to perform, would that be including studio work?
Goodness gracious me!
Im going to college for recording. Its a tough career to get into, mostly because you either make no money or more money than you know what to do with. Im considering trying to be a elementary school music teacher.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
Quote by Bizarro
Hmmm, if you were to manage a band you should definitley take some business classes, I'm not sure about producing though. You said you didn't want to perform, would that be including studio work?

You mean like a studio musician for hire? I would but my playing capabilities are not at that level and i don't think that's a very steady income. I think your right about the studying business thing, I'm taking an intro to business class this semester.
Last edited by Darkoblivion319 at Sep 4, 2009,
Quote by Fenderhippie69
Im going to college for recording. Its a tough career to get into, mostly because you either make no money or more money than you know what to do with. Im considering trying to be a elementary school music teacher.

What college are you going to and Is recording a specific major at that college?
Quote by BLToast
Sound tech.

does that require a certain major or could I just major in Music in general?
Quote by Darkoblivion319
What college are you going to and Is recording a specific major at that college?

Im going to Schoolcraft. Its a community college in MI. Its an associates degree at that school but other universities in MI have a 4 year recording tech degree. I plan to transfer to either U of M or Wayne State after a year or so.

here is the course syllabus if your interested.
http://www.schoolcraft.edu/pdfs/guides/programs/Music_Recording_Technology.pdf
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
Last edited by Fenderhippie69 at Sep 4, 2009,
Quote by Fenderhippie69
Im going to Schoolcraft. Its a community college in MI. Its an associates degree at that school but other universities in MI have a 4 year recording tech degree. I plan to transfer to either U of M or Wayne State after a year or so.

here is the course syllabus if your interested.
http://www.schoolcraft.edu/pdfs/guides/programs/Music_Recording_Technology.pdf

damn i wish that was a major offered at my college, it sounds risky but really cool. Thanks for your help, and goodluck pursuing your career.