go to 2:25. he's playing octaves on the E (tuned to D) and the D string and is NOT hitting the A string in between. he's picking, not hybrid picking. He's not muting the A in between either, he's missing it completely.

how?

EDIT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZATGGrz2VOY&feature=related

thanks for catching that for me.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
Last edited by Shadow_Hawk at Sep 4, 2009,
Link?
R.I.P. Lester William Polsfuss June 9, 1915–August 13, 2009
Quote by Moggan13
I'm dissapointed by the lack of penis.

If anyone sigs that, i'll fucking kill them.
Quote by Kensai
I'm a good person and I never meet any pretty girls who loves jesus
Quote by ImOnTheInternet
I think he's picking all three and muting the A with his first finger.

he says he's not. that's what i thought at first too as well.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
probably muting the A string with his middle finger

Proud member of the LGBTQQ group.
He's just muting the A string.

ie.

Instead of an E power chord: Root, fifth, octave

e------
B------
G------
D---2--
A---2--
E---0--

He mutes the A string, or fifth (B, in this case) So it's just root - octave

e------
B------
G------
D---2--
A---X--
E---0--
Quote by Shadow_Hawk
he says he's not. that's what i thought at first too as well.

he says that he is muting the a string at 2:30.

Proud member of the LGBTQQ group.
but then he says "you could make the mistake of hitting it, and it wouldnt sound too good."

wtf? wow slash lol.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Yeah its muting the A string, use 2 fingers on the E and D string and use a 3rd finger to mute the A instead of barring the 3 strings with your one finger like you would if you were playing any other song in drop d.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Quote by Shadow_Hawk
but then he says "you could make the mistake of hitting it, and it wouldnt sound too good."

wtf? wow slash lol.

He's muting it. He even says he's muting it. When he says to be careful not to hit it he means you have to be careful not to let it ring. Just watch his picking hand, there's no way he's doing anything else.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
The fact is, there is no way to play it like that without muting- so he has to be muting it with his fretting hand. Thats how its done.

Why would you want to do it a different way anyway? Especially when it gets the same sound...
When he says "you have to be careful not to hit it" I think he's saying you have to make sure you mute the string, otherwise the open A will ring out and sound bad. Probably just a poor choice of words to describe it.
Quote by jsepguitar
When he says "you have to be careful not to hit it" I think he's saying you have to make sure you mute the string, otherwise the open A will ring out and sound bad. Probably just a poor choice of words to describe it.

I agree there.

I think hes fretting with the 2nd and 3rd finger and muting the A with the index finger.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
hes just muting the A string with his index, or first finger. you could also ben your second finger to rest over the A string and mute it.
he said in the beginning of Octaves that he was muting the A string
"How can I be lost when I've got nowhere to go"
- MetallicA
What to do at a metal concert: