I'm not too sure what to do really. Not even sure how I got to this point. I've been playing for about two years now. I think I'm an average guitarist. Lately I've had no motivation to play anything on the guitar at all. I've played maybe twice in two weeks.

I noticed that when me and a friend were suppose to do a side project, and it ended up not working out, is when this started. He didn't like any of my riffs or ideas. I felt like I was finally making some good riffs for once. It was a huge ego kill.

So what should I do now? Having no friends to help motivate me or even talk to doesn't help either. Just kinda feel down.
A) Take a break

B) Listen and play music that is interesting/ that you like

C) No one cares.
a little lost.....
I am having this same problem. I used to practice hours on end, but now that I have moved to the land of no muscians my hopes of starting a band have been dashed at least until sometime next year.

I am forcing myself to start playing again, but it is tough. It is like running on a hamster wheel.
thats how one of my friends makes me feel. like i've been playing for four or five years now and i'm WAY better than him and he knows it. he's only been playing for ONE year and he wonders why i'm better. (completely retarded, i know) he says all my music sucks just to make himself feel better, and it kinda makes me not wanna play.
with all that said, you're friend is probably jealous of your playing and is dissing you just to make himself feel better.
Last edited by !normajean! at Sep 4, 2009,
**** your friend. who cares if he doesnt like your riffs or not its about what YOU wanna play
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
Can I have your guitar?
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
New music/styles can really motivate you. Try and transform your sound have fun. No one is forcing you to play.

Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.
lifes a bitch
"Bullshit is the glue that binds this nation together."
-George Carlin

The Human Fund: $0.00
PM me to donate
Do something not musical related for about a week or so, just completely take off. Then when you come back, just playsome songs you've already learned, nothing new, and discover new music, whether that be new bands, genres or what have you, just take it easy, dont worry, about it, and just kinda find yourself and your musical interests again. This is coming from experience so its atleast worth a try. If you decide to go this route, lemme know how it goes, always curious to see what happens...
That happened to me when I got into dance music Just don't worry about it, man. Keep listening to new stuff, stay into music in general, but it's perfectly okay to take a hiatus from playing guitar if you want

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

whenever i am uninspired and feeling like i'm no good, i watch people cover songs on youtube and read the comments. more often than not, i am aware that i could do a much better job, and after reading people praise them, i always pick up my guitar and learn/practice some songs with the intention of recording them (rarely do though). works well enough to get me playing again.
O! music: Click (Youtube)

^ Click to see an acoustic arrangement of Ke$ha's 'Your Love is my Drug' - everyone's favourite song.
pick up piano dont listen to the same music. come back to it and you will be far more musicially knowledable anyway and have better theory knowledge.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCcg1hvhujI
do covers of songs in a different genre than the actual song!
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
I haven't picked up my electric in months. The most I do now is strum chords on acoustic. I really hate myself for spending so much money
Quote by cliff_em_all
cof_median11 is a Child Rapist.

Quote by blink day 4 eva
Theres a mosquito that lives in my room and i let him bite me all the time and i let him live. It's our special deal. His name is "The Dude".

Quote by Babbs
cof_median11, you sick ****.
Just play more casually?
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not."

~ Kurt Cobain ~
what i did is listen to some necrophagist, saw that it was awesome and decided i wanted to play some. still cant play any of their stuff but i'm working on extreme unction(got the first page down a few days ago). just try to learn something that you really like and/or sounds really complex. it always makes me feel better when the first thing i play when i pick up my guitar is a flawless solo or crystal mountain.
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.