hey
My band is looking to add another song to our setlist to expand it from a 15min set to 20min. We thought about adding an original but as we are just strating out we thought we should drop in another cover, as a way to grab the crowds liking.
We play mostly hard rock from the 80s, bands such as Guns N' Roses, Aerosmith & Van Halen. What would be a great song to play second (which can be played by two guitarist).

Our (20min) setlist goes as:
1. It's All I Need (original - fast paced rock N' Roll) (3:30 minutes)
2. (ANOTHER COVER???)
3. Outsider Of Life (original - Slow Power Ballad) (5:30 minutes)
4. Rock (Original - Medium paced rock song) (3 minutes)
5. Living After Midnight (Judas Priest cover) (3:30 minutes)

We have played the setlist and the fast paced song doesn't really go into the power ballad which leaves quite a gap between the two songs in the setlist. So we want a cover which continues the fast paced rhythms but can easily move on towards the power ballad which is third.

thanks
Quote by Cole419
Kickstart My Heart - Motley Crue

Yerr that would be a cool song to put in the second place
but would it be possible to play with two guitarists? Would it sound right with two guitarists?
If we do that song would be alright if we leave out the solo as none us own a talkbox which wont give the same feel to the solo?
Last edited by 2848_RAD at Sep 4, 2009,
Quote by Terastr
Do you have a wah?

Yerr but its not top of the range
it's a crappy behringer
I don't think i would be able to achieve that sound in the solo
Last edited by 2848_RAD at Sep 5, 2009,
Quote by 2848_RAD
Yerr that would be a cool song to put in the second place
but would it be possible to play with two guitarists? Would it sound right with two guitarists?
If we do that song would be alright if we leave out the solo as none us own a talkbox which wont give the same feel to the solo?

just do the solo without the talkbox.

or you could do some ozzy?

maybe a little "road to nowhere" or "i don't want to change the world"... just not crazy train. i'm about f***ing sick of crazy train.

and if you do van halen, how 'bout some Panama?

you could even do a cover by a moder band that has that throwback "dude-rock" style, like hinder or rev theory, saving abel, recent papa roach, etc.
Quote by GrisKy
just do the solo without the talkbox.

or you could do some ozzy?

maybe a little "road to nowhere" or "i don't want to change the world"... just not crazy train. i'm about f***ing sick of crazy train.

and if you do van halen, how 'bout some Panama?

you could even do a cover by a moder band that has that throwback "dude-rock" style, like hinder or rev theory, saving abel, recent papa roach, etc.

Yerr we have been jamming along to Panama (just me and the drummer) but its hard to play it with a second guitarist, it doesnt have the same feel as the original

We will try and go with "kickstart my heart", it's such a great song.
+1 for KSMH. That's a song I will cover eventually. Motley Crue has some great ones that play well live. I'm personally sick of hearing "Girls Girls Girls", tho.

"Wild Side" is also a great one. It has a great groove that keeps the chickies shakin' their backsides.

Not to overindulge in too much Crue, but "S.O.S. (same old situation)" is also a fun one. It's an easy song to learn, and the lyrical content is pretty amusing. Audiences love to sing that one.

Don't worry about not pulling off a talk box or even a wah. In fact, no one will really care as long as you solo in the right key and capture a similar melodic flavor. Personally, I don't like playing solos note for note. I keep a lot of the phrases similar and recognizable, but do my own thing based on either desire or my ability to play certain things (yeah, Dimebag's stuff is still out of my league on Pantera covers...). By giving my own take on a solo, I feel it makes the song a little more of "me" than just a cover.
I think 2 out of 5 covers is perfectly acceptable, and if it's the second song of the night, I'd recommend this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pclo80VXCIE

Nice, powerful song to keep the energy high, but not really fast so you can't move to a ballad. Personally, I'd move the medium paced song ahead of the ballad, that way the final (amazing) song will have much more impact being played after a ballad.

Quote by BlitzkriegAir
since you covered one priest song, why not another?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVSypb9caqI
this song is pretty simple and works really well in a live setting

I can see why you would say this, given your avatar, but I'd say it was a bad idea. The idea of covering two songs by a band has come up before for me, and it just makes you seem like a fanboy, in my opinion.
I like to keep covers varied, for example, at my bands last gig, we played Luna Sea, Kings of Leon and The Cure in one set. As long as the covers work with your setlist, it'll be sound
Last edited by SilentHeaven109 at Sep 5, 2009,
Quote by cheapr2keepr
Don't worry about not pulling off a talk box or even a wah. In fact, no one will really care as long as you solo in the right key and capture a similar melodic flavor. Personally, I don't like playing solos note for note. I keep a lot of the phrases similar and recognizable, but do my own thing based on either desire or my ability to play certain things (yeah, Dimebag's stuff is still out of my league on Pantera covers...). By giving my own take on a solo, I feel it makes the song a little more of "me" than just a cover.

this^... and i have the same trouble with Dime's solos. don't feel bad.

since this has become an impromtu crue thread, my favorite MC tune of all time is "Don't go away mad (just go away)." f***in' classy.
ok thank for all the opinions
We will give "kickstart my heart" a go
if it doesn't turn out that good we will try some Van Halen (we aren't sure how we would approach the one guitarist songs with two different guitarists?)
We will give "Atomic Punk" a try if KSMH doesn't work out
Last edited by 2848_RAD at Sep 6, 2009,