When you restring your guitar do you keep your old strings? You know, just in case one pops and you don't have the time and/or money to go grab another set? I do, I'm just curious if anyone else does. I like to know that when I'm ready to pull it off the wall and play it, I can without a hitch.
You stole my heart!
You ran away!
Now I'm heartless!
So fuck you anyway!
Quote by baNG1989
When you restring your guitar do you keep your old strings? You know, just in case one pops and you don't have the time and/or money to go grab another set? I do, I'm just curious if anyone else does. I like to know that when I'm ready to pull it off the wall and play it, I can without a hitch.

I usually throw mine out because most of the time they are used to the absolute limit lol. But I do usually have an extra set so no worries.
Set Up:
Guitars:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR
ESP LTD EX-401
AMP: Peavey Vypyr Tube 60W
Sanpera Footpedal
Yeah when it's time to change, they're usually flat where the frets hit them and if they're those first act strings I buy when I don't feel like running to sam ash, they're a copper color too. But I do have some relatively new strings I pulled off my guitar when I first got it. So far I've reused the d and high e, lol
You stole my heart!
You ran away!
Now I'm heartless!
So fuck you anyway!
Quote by Invert-blu
I usually throw mine out because most of the time they are used to the absolute limit lol. But I do usually have an extra set so no worries.

When do you know they're completely worn out, though. Because sometimes when I restring I feel like the old strings I feel like I'm wasting something.
Quote by Gabrhil
When do you know they're completely worn out, though. Because sometimes when I restring I feel like the old strings I feel like I'm wasting something.

Well first of all strings usually need to be changed every few months or sooner, it depends on how much you play and how hard. But generally I change when the strings start sounding flat and wrong, feel greasy/rugged and are overall in bad shape. You'll definitely know they are in bad shape when they start snapping on you lol (when I first started playing, I had a guitar that hadn't had strings changed for YEARS, and after about a day of playing I lost 4 strings :p)
Set Up:
Guitars:
ESP LTD EX-401
Sanpera Footpedal
Quote by IPlaySchecter
I cant save mine, i cut em in half when i am taking them off to speed things up.

does that really speed it up? I mean you still have to take it off both sides lol
Set Up:
Guitars:
ESP LTD EX-401
Sanpera Footpedal
^Yeah when I had my strat, I used pop my e and a constantly. My warlock has a fixed bridge, I've only broken two strings on it since i've had it.
You stole my heart!
You ran away!
Now I'm heartless!
So fuck you anyway!
Quote by Invert-blu
does that really speed it up? I mean you still have to take it off both sides lol

It speeds it up for me. Thats just the way i do it. I have never been to worried about saving junk.
No, because my strings tend to have more grime than metal left.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
i change mine every 2-3 months, just cause thats my preference. and i wouldn't save the old strings. especially if you had trimmed them.

1. they were under a lot of tension and they will break faster if you try stringing them again.

2. if you trimmed the strings down to the tuner, i'd like to see you try gettin that old string back on.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
^i've done it a few times. I had to use some needle nosed pliers, but they went on. They only need to survive until I either get money or get to sam ash or target.
You stole my heart!
You ran away!
Now I'm heartless!
So fuck you anyway!
its still too difficult to bother about it. it's $5 for a pack of strings. your parents can easily afford that for you.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
My parents? How old are you?
And I don't have a car so to go get a pack of strings it's 2.75x2 for bus fare there and back, and then the 5 for the pack of strings, or I could walk to Target and get a pack of first act strings for 7.99
You stole my heart!
You ran away!
Now I'm heartless!
So fuck you anyway!
once i unwind the string from the post i cut off the curly end so it pulls through the bridge hole easier. so nope, i don't save my old strings.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
I always have a spare set or two. So, no need to save them. I change my strings alot though. I enjoy it. I volunteer to change my friend's strings, lol.
Quote by BlockFour
I always have a spare set or two. So, no need to save them. I change my strings alot though. I enjoy it. I volunteer to change my friend's strings, lol.

there is something magical about it

....or that might just be the frustration/impatience
Set Up:
Guitars:
ESP LTD EX-401
Sanpera Footpedal
Quote by mikeyElite
once i unwind the string from the post i cut off the curly end so it pulls through the bridge hole easier. so nope, i don't save my old strings.
Same here. After you cut the curly end off it's impossible to restring the string as the length is not long enough to reach the peg.

I usually change my strngs every 2-4 weeks, generally, depending on how much I play.