When I hold on a note (I've recently noticed it on certain strings at certain places) in a distorted setting on my Spider III 150w, it doesn't just make a pulsating sound (I know that's pretty much a norm with Digital amp), it makes a crackling noise. At first when I talked to a few guitar techs they said it could be the compression or noise gate. Welll I was playing around with the gain and noise gate but it still made that sound. Actually to be more accurate it ONLY happens in a distorted setting. Sounds fine in a clean(ish) tone. Could it be that I need to replace my strings or is it the amp?
if it's a spider, it's always the amp...
www.myspace.com/decognition

Guitar Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Freeway
Korg DTR2000 Tuner
Axon Ax100
Hughes & Kettner Triamp Mk||
Boss V-Wah, CE-5, TR-2

Bass Rig:
Ibanez sr700
Ampeg BA600/115
Boss MT-2
Quote by viper_mike

Damn, beaten to it...
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by viper_mike

At least when you're asking a n00b or a bandwagonner with all the capacity for independent thought of a ant.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Bandwagon-jumpers. Anyways, try your guitar on a few different amps. Change strings and try again. It could be a lot of things including the neck itself.

In my world, the color RED doesn't exist.

The system has encountered a fatal error [1809]: 'YourOpinion' var has no set value.
Quote by STABxYOU
At least when you're asking a n00b or a bandwagonner with all the capacity for independent thought of a ant.

ouch.
www.myspace.com/decognition

Guitar Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Freeway
Korg DTR2000 Tuner
Axon Ax100
Hughes & Kettner Triamp Mk||
Boss V-Wah, CE-5, TR-2

Bass Rig:
Ibanez sr700
Ampeg BA600/115
Boss MT-2
Quote by viper_mike
ouch.

Needs to be said.
UG is worse then 4chan for memes. The only difference is UG-memes are depressing untruths or half-truths, instead of stupid/funny sayings.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Quote by STABxYOU
Needs to be said.
UG is worse then 4chan for memes. The only difference is UG-memes are depressing untruths or half-truths, instead of stupid/funny sayings.

So goddamn true.

Although personally I would not buy a 150 watt any-amp, regardess of it being a Spider III or Mg or even a Plexi. An amp that loud would shatter my windows probably. Of course if I have that kind of mony I would have enough for an attenuator.
nah the fact is that spiders use low quailty parts and made cheaply.. it could even be the speaker. it could also make that sound if the pickups are to close to the strings and it is alot more apparent in high gain situations.
Quote by whitenihilist
Although personally I would not buy a 150 watt any-amp, regardess of it being a Spider III or Mg or even a Plexi. An amp that loud would shatter my windows probably. Of course if I have that kind of mony I would have enough for an attenuator.

Well, with solid state amps, more headroom is always better.
Also, because you need 10x more wattage to double the volume, 150w isn't that much louder then 120, 100, 75, 60 or even 50 watts.

I'd get a 2x70 watt stereo solid state amp... not that I'm GASsing for anything. >.>

Quote by Mayonaise 812
nah the fact is that spiders use low quailty parts and made cheaply..

This is all true. However not everyone with a Spider in their rig having problems, has a problem related to the Spider. It's silly to claim otherwise.

Quote by Mayonaise 812
it could even be the speaker. it could also make that sound if the pickups are to close to the strings and it is alot more apparent in high gain situations.

See, this is useful information.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Last edited by STABxYOU at Sep 4, 2009,
Quote by STABxYOU
Well, with solid state amps, more headroom is always better.
Also, because you need 10x more wattage to double the volume, 150w isn't that much louder then 120, 100, 75, 60 or even 50 watts.

Trust me, you can hear a huge difference between 150 and 50 watts.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by STABxYOU
This is all true. However not everyone with a Spider in their rig having problems, has a problem related to the Spider. It's silly to claim otherwise.

I find that those with a spider in their rig USUALLY have a problem outside of their spider, but it's like the chicken and the egg. Do they own a spider because they don't know squat about amps/gear and as such can't take care of the s***?

either way, to those of us who've been there and done that, the word "spider" sounds a lot like that rattling noise in your car, "goddammit, the spider's acting up again."

anyhow, TS, you were kinda' vague, so here's my best shot at what you described:

check your pots (knobs on guitar). are they dirty? damaged? how 'bout their connections? dirty pots make crackling noises when moved. maybe you're accidentally brushing against them when you're playing "on certain strings at certain places."

check your 1/4" jack on either the guitar or amp (and anything inbetween). same principles as the pots.

is your cable faulty? run it through a cable tester or try another one.

are you sure you're not hearing fret buzz? unplug your guitar. put your ear on the body somewhere and play each fret on each string ascending. listen for tonal irregularities and sustain problems.

play through the amp without the comp or gate. both of those effects can lead to something kinda' like what you described when they're not propperly dialed.

could be a faulty connection within the amp. check the board and all solder points for damage.

could be the sweet sound of the spider's version of ss clipping... music to no one's ears. are you cranking the thing to 11? don't.
It's the Spider, trust me, there's nothing you can do about it except buy an amp that isn't crap. Every Spider I've played, including mine, does that.