anybody know a good way to get better at singing and playing at teh same time. i find my self picking the syllables of a word when i try to.
i saw something where alexi laiho said hed play the riff really slow and whisper the words and just work his way up bc it can really be a bith
A good thing to do to practice is to play the chords of a song but only play each chord once when specified and slowly build up until you can do two rhythms at the same time.
Usually Alexi Laiho isn't playing Complex riffs underneath vocalized parts he's usually just Playing the Root Chord Progression while he does vocals, Playing a chord progression and singing is simple. Pick up your acoustic guitar find a good song that is basically a chord progression, and learn it. Learn the Chord Progression first, then Learn the lyrics that slap that **** together and bam! Playing and singing.
TS, i have this problem too, and mostly, it has to be a song that ive played for months before i can sing it at all while playing.

good luck.
it takes practice. just play the song until you can play it in your sleep, then learn the words seperately, then try putting them together bit by bit. it takes ALOT of practice.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Learn how to play the song where you can do it without consciously thinking of it. Then learn the vocals where you can do it without having to try to remember what the words are. Then play them together. If its a song with an awkward strumming pattern (like an acoustic song for example), just strum the chord once and sing over it, and then strum the next chord, then work your way up to the strumming pattern.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
People overcomplicate it. Most guitar players/singers write their guitar lines with a vocal melody in mind so they match up like a puzzle. Sometimes you just have to find out what the pieces are. Personally, I write out the lyrics and write out the chords or tabs and try to match them up. Get an idea of how they match in your head. Then practice the guitar part with a metronome and hum or whisper over it.

The first song I learned to play and sing was "Radio" by Alkaline Trio (I can actually sing while picking the intro, even Matt Skiba doesn't bother doing that but I think it sounds better) and now I can do "Faint of Hearts" by Coheed which is much, much harder.
I just learned the words and the chords by heart and then slowly tried to do both them at the same time . It took some time but now it takes less time when I learn a new one.
Also ,W00t! i've been sigged by YesterdaysToday!
I hate to say it, but for some people, you either got it, or you don't.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Quote by Crimzin3
Usually Alexi Laiho isn't playing Complex riffs underneath vocalized parts he's usually just Playing the Root Chord Progression while he does vocals, Playing a chord progression and singing is simple. Pick up your acoustic guitar find a good song that is basically a chord progression, and learn it. Learn the Chord Progression first, then Learn the lyrics that slap that **** together and bam! Playing and singing.

His problem is that his brain gets mixed up, and he'll start to pick the rhythm of the lyrics.

Do what that one guy said Alexi does, the thing with the whispering.

To Kevy:

That's like saying you either start playing guitar and are already a shred virtuoso, otherwise you're a piece of ****, and should just quit.

Paul Gilbert was terrible. 2 years into playing he couldn't play Barracuda by Heart. Then 5-7 years later, he was defining the shred genre.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Last edited by V.U.K at Sep 5, 2009,
Just start singing while you play dont try lyrics just improv for a bit before u focus on the lyrics
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
Fender Supersonic with Krank Krankenstien 4x12
OR 50 with 4 x 12
Gassing for ibanes airplane flanger
Think about the guitarist/vocalist of Necrophagist. Now how the hell does he do that :P

All i've got to say is pretty much the same as everyone else, start simple, but maybe learning to hum the vocal melody first might also help vs learning the lyrics (if you are unfamiliar with them you will start thinking about them more than what you're playing).
Quote by 21Fretter
Think about the guitarist/vocalist of Necrophagist. Now how the hell does he do that :P

All i've got to say is pretty much the same as everyone else, start simple, but maybe learning to hum the vocal melody first might also help vs learning the lyrics (if you are unfamiliar with them you will start thinking about them more than what you're playing).

+100
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Try tapping your foot in time with the song and only play the guitar part. Do that a million times.

Then memorize the lyrics and sing along without playing the guitar, but tapping your foot in the same way. Find out which words sync with the beat and do this a million times until it's completely stuck in your head.

Then try it together... a million times.
Heavy metal!
For a bit of variety, try starting with a few songs you've never played on guitar or sang before so that you can learn both parts at the same time, and then practise both together SLOWLY and CAREFULLY.

The bit you need to learn is coordinating your hands doing one thing and your voice doing another. Now that I think more about it, it sounds a little like learning to drum in that respect (learning to coordinate four limbs to all do different things without confusing them).

I have a suspicion that if you start out learning the parts separately first and then try to put them together later, it will only be frustrating cause you'll feel like "I should know this, I can play both parts backwards" etc, so this is why I suggest trying with a completely new song. At the end of the day, the first thing you need to learn is how to coordinate the two tasks; knowing the individual parts is I think less important.
It takes some time, but once you get that first song out of the way you're set. I'd suggest trying something butt-****ingly easy(The chorus to Pork n Beans by Weezer, for example), and playing it over and over again. Slowly introduce singing into it, or even just mumble the words along.
are there any songs that are easy to play and sing at the same time? you know, to get the hold of it first...
Master of puppets I'm pulling your strings! Twisting your mind, smashing your dreams!

VIVE LE QUÉBEC! VIVE LE QUÉBEC LIBRE!

Charles De Gaulle, 1967

It's better to live one day as a lion
Than a thousand years as a lamb
^ And yes! For one, Cum on Feel the Noise by Quiet Riot is one.

Uhm... how about We're Not Gonna Take It by Twisted Sister or Piece of Your Action by Motley Crue? Hope I helped a bit. If you need anymore I could give you some more I guess.

Quote by Crimzin3

So playing the Living Dead Beat while singing is easy? Wow. I didn't know that lead lick during the chorus would be a simple chord progression to play and sing along with!

And while I don't do vocals at the same time, when I'm screwing around; I like to play along to certain songs like Conquer All by Behemoth and do vocals along with him and try to get the right vocal delivery and guitar delivery down.
There will be zero tolerance
For the creator of hallowed intentions
There will be zero tolerance
Fate is your deciding God
Last edited by DragTheWaters11 at Sep 10, 2009,
Quote by Crimzin3

but you know who does play some complex riffs while singing...Dave mustaine...not sure how he does it
Well, generally I'd learn the guitar part so you know it confidently enough to play it without looking at the fretboard and completely from Memory. Then make sure you know how the vocal melody goes confidently enough (and the lyrics) to sing it entirely from memory. Then play the guitar part, and (from what I've heard) try focusing more so on the vocal melody than the guitar playing; It is generally easier to do this starting with some easier songs, some pop punk and modern rock, then you can move on to stuff like Muse, Hendrix, and some other stuff.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!