how can i tell which tubes my amp uses, and also which tubes have mashally tones, and should i replace power tubes or preamp tubes?
Quote by AmericanParadox
cuztomizing guitars = best thing in the world. Better than sex.

GB&C RULES

Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Fr
Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Boss Ds-1
Digitech RP55
Ibanez WD7 Weeping Demon
Ibanez Fz7 Fuzz
Marshall MG10CD 40W
Modded POS Strat
Power tubes go bad faster, I guess. not sure. my logic is the higher voltages involved, and the fact they are putting out such high wattages.

The tube type is printed right on the tube.
It should say on the power tubes what they are. If not, then you may be able to deduce it by looking at the wattage. 20 and below usually uses EL84s. Around 50 uses 6L6's, EL34's, E34L's, KT66's, or KT77's. Around 100 uses 6550's and KT88's. But it also depends on the number of power tubes. 2 6L6's will get about 50, while 4 will get 100, and the same applies for the rest in that list. two 6550's usually get about 100, while 4 get b/t 150-200. I may be a little off in numbers, but it should be pretty close.

EDIT: Here is the list:

Quote by Gabe
Tube wattage chart:
1 x EL84≈ 5 watts in Class A
2x EL84s≈ 15 watts in Class A/B
4x EL84s≈ 30 watts in A/B
6x EL84s≈ 45 watts

1x 6V6≈ 10 watts in Class A
2x 6V6s≈ 20 watts in Class A/B
4x 6V6≈ 50 watts in Class A/B

1x EL34/ 6L6≈ 15 watts in Class A
2x EL34s/ 6L6≈ 30 watts in Class A, 50 watts in Class A/B
4x EL34s/ 6L6≈ 100 watts in Class A/B
6x EL34s/ 6L6≈ 150 watts in Class A/B

1x 6550≈ 20 watts in Class A
2x 6550s≈ 50-70 watts in Class A/B
4x 6550s≈ 100-120 watts in Class A/B
6x 6550s≈ 150- 200 watts in Class A/B

KT66's are based on 6L6's, KT77's on EL34's, and KT88's on 6550's.

For a Marshall tone, i hear Shuguang preamp tubes are great. These are great substitutes for those: Penta Labs 7025F, Ruby 12AX7AC5 HG+, Penta labs 12AX7, and, a Penta Labs 12AX7M mullard reissue.

As for power tubes, it depends on what sound you are going for, your amp and what it can take.

Power tubes will go faster than preamp tubes. The only reason for changing them either than if they are bad is to alter tone. So what do you currently have in there? What amp? How many tubes?

Good Luck.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Last edited by JKMV11 at Sep 5, 2009,
i have just a stock genz benz black pearl 30 and wanted to get something a little more marshally out of it without spending a bunch of cash on pedals
Quote by AmericanParadox
cuztomizing guitars = best thing in the world. Better than sex.

GB&C RULES

Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Fr
Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Boss Ds-1
Digitech RP55
Ibanez WD7 Weeping Demon
Ibanez Fz7 Fuzz
Marshall MG10CD 40W
Modded POS Strat
Quote by guitarmankyle
i have just a stock genz benz black pearl 30 and wanted to get something a little more marshally out of it without spending a bunch of cash on pedals

Well i'm not sure about which power tubes are good, but you should ask that question here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473149&highlight=tubes

But for preamp tubes, look into the tubes i previously posted if you want a Marshall sound. Be sure to get them here: http://www.dougstubes.com/ I personally prefer the tubedepot b/c their prices are better, but i'm not sure if they have the Shuguang/Penta's. I know Doug's Tubes does, and for a pretty good price.

If you amp has a PI (phase inverter) try putting a JAN 5751 in it. The PI is closest to the power tubes. V1 is farthest away, closer to the input jack. You should probably put a Penta in the V1, but that is a question for the thread i posted.

Good Luck.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein