i have emg 81/85 pickups.what are some good strings to have that heavy sound?to get the sense of idea what sound im looking for,bands like carnifexf,the devil wears prada,myschildren mybride.i have the ernie ball slinkys but its just not cutting out for me.im looking into GHS and D'Addario.any advice which one and size?
gear
epiphone g-400
sperzel gutar tuners
emg 81/85
peavey vypyr 75 watt
i mainly do drop D but i also do drop C and B
gear
epiphone g-400
sperzel gutar tuners
emg 81/85
peavey vypyr 75 watt
D'Addario's are the best strings i've ever used. Some 12-54's should be fine. They are great for lower tunings. They made my amp go from sounding "ok" to sounding INCREDIBLE. I play through the EMG 81/60, and they sound great with these strings. The only other strings i've tried are Elixir's, which lasted a long time, but didn't have as good of tone as the D'Addario's. I have no desire to look into anything else. So a set of D'Addarios 12-54's should suffice.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
thanks man i cant wait to test it with my emg 81/85 with my vypyr amp.so with those strings it'll sound heavy for breakdowns etc?sorry for all the noob questions.
gear
epiphone g-400
sperzel gutar tuners
emg 81/85
peavey vypyr 75 watt
Quote by mute510
thanks man i cant wait to test it with my emg 81/85 with my vypyr amp.so with those strings it'll sound heavy for breakdowns etc?sorry for all the noob questions.

no problem

lets just say the heaviness/fullness that amp was lacking b4 the 12's was fulfilled when i changed strings. B4 i used 10's tuned to D. Once i switched to 12's tuned to C, my amp came alive and sounded fuller/deeper/stronger/heavier. so to answer your question, yes.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
I really don't think the brand of strings affect tone (unless you get Wal-Mart brand strings).

The thickness affects tone though. Thicker the strings=more bass (so better for those palm muted metal riffs)

That's what I find anyways.

Stick to Ernie Ball, but try a thicker gauge like 11's or 12's.
Tension. that's the name of the game here. it affects more than just your pitch. heavier gauges have more tension than a lighter gauge at the same pitch, which means more clarity in your playing.

I more or less live and die in drop C, and 12's are a bit excessive. 9's can do it. 10's do it without killing your fret hand. 11's are as far as i'd push it if you do any type of soloing at all (or unless if you're SRV incarnate).
at the same time, .54's are kinda' lacking. go to .60, heavier if you tune lower than B.

Ernie's have a little twang to 'em. Dunlops and GHS's are a little more steady. I like 'em all, but for different uses.