When I write a song I always have a solo IN MY HEAD that would go great with the song but I do not know how to play it, as in, what notes to play. By the way, my style is metal. All help is appreciated
Quote by blue_strat
Learn theory.

Play guitar a lot.

Learn how to play other people's songs by ear.

this. it aint easy. i wrote my own site ALL ABOUT THEORY, ive been playing for 4 years, and still i cant take solos from my head and put them on the guitar.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
^ I've been playing for 5 years, have reached Grade 7 and a Professional Diploma in Guitar, and am at university studying music, and I can't play what's in my head most of the time.
sing the notes out and find them on guitar

really.
"SO GLAD TO BE HERE I COULD JUMP OFF EVERY BRIDGE
BUT EVERYBODY'S GOT A ROPE AROUND ONE OF MY LIMBS
THEY'RE TRYIN' TO GET THEIR PIECE THEY KEEP ON TEARING ME APART
THEY WANNA GET INSIDE SO THEY CAN KICK AROUND MY HEART
"
Yeah, singin' works a lot of the time.

Also, the reason scales sound so good is because real musicians think their music in scales, so if you know your scales, find one that fits the chord progression and sing it and mess around with the scale, (with metal it's probly gonna be some kinda major or minor, nothin absolutely awkward or fancy) but don't be afraid to deviate from the scale you're usin if it sounds good, because chances are you're just thinkin a different scale.

When i say mess around with the scale, I mean think about your solo, and if it goes from low to high, start on a lower note on the scale and go up until you find the one that you like best and keep goin up or down from there, and if it starts high and goes lower, the same applies. Just know that there are no boundaries to music or anything related to it, no rules to break, you know? Do what ever sounds good with what you're doin, like change the chord progression if you need to or somethin like that. But it's your thing, have fun with it, man. =)
Quote by the hirsh
When I write a song I always have a solo IN MY HEAD that would go great with the song but I do not know how to play it, as in, what notes to play. By the way, my style is metal. All help is appreciated

Get more experience is a guitar player/musician. Keep listening, keep learning, keep playing. It takes time.
shred is gaudy music
Can you sing/hum the solo you hear in your head? Record it with a tape recorder, and work on transcribing it at a slower pace. Once you've got the skills down you won't need the recorder.
Practice. Play. Sleep. Repeat.

Quote by pearlJam_31490
i take it next your going to tell me that Cb is a note too!
Remember you have all the time in the world to figure out that solo. So if you really wanna play it spend the meticulous hours necessary learning on the fretboard. Sing each note and find it on the guitar. Think about the jazz musicians who hear these solos in their head and play them as they think them.
When you know your scales well enough and how they work the things in your head transfer to the fretboard easier.