Sure some of you might take this for granted.
But I totally just did it.
Swear to God I just tuned my guitar by ear (Excluding the low E)
Aw yeeeeeah, This is a huge development for me.
Bigger than when I learned to tremble pick.

Oh yeah, after I tuned it, I made sure it was right with an actual tuner, lol.
You stole my heart!
You ran away!
Now I'm heartless!
So fuck you anyway!
niceee

I remember the first time I thought I tuned to standard by ear...turns out I tuned it half a step below and played that for like a month before I noticed that "hit the lights" just didn't sound quite right lol.
Set Up:
Guitars:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR
ESP LTD EX-401
AMP: Peavey Vypyr Tube 60W
Sanpera Footpedal
of course he did its a big mile stone in his life..lol
Gear
2009 Schecter Solo 6 DSG limited 1 of 50 in the USA
Ovation Celebrity
TC Electronic: Polytune
Digitech RP355 Multieffects Pedal
Quote by HeyItsChenny
thank you very much, Seaweed
It is nice. I played in orchestra fifth grade through collage so I pretty much have "A" ingrained into me. I can sing it without any relative sound. Pretty neat trick to have.
Hell yes I had to make a thread. It was either a thread, or a billboard on the interstate.
I didn't feel like leaving the house so... yeah.
You stole my heart!
You ran away!
Now I'm heartless!
So fuck you anyway!
congrats man. honestly I've been playing for years and I still cant do it. or more like I never try. I rely on a tuner entirely too much.

but the other day I had my amp cranked and I was jammin out and my friend told me to tune it to dropped d. so i figured i'd give it a try by ear. so i got it and it sounded right to me so i checked it with a tuner and I was dead on. That was pretty cool

I'm going to try to tune by ear from now on. I feel like my ears are not well trained enough.
--Clips in profile! comment please!--
Guitars
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Schecter Solo-6 Limited
Takamine G330H

Amps
Line 6 Vetta
Carvin X100B

Pedals
cmatmods Signa Drive, Brownie, and Boost
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
MXR 10 band EQ
Drop D by ear is easy. Just tune the low E until it matches the D string.
niiice. i've done this one, and it was completely by accident. never done it since. just plugged my tuner in to stretch my strings and everything was dead on. too bad i still had to stretch them out
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
So, did you tune the low E with a tuner and tuned the rest of the strings to that, or did you completely tune A to e without any sort of guidance?

'Cause there's a big difference, and the latter is way cooler than the first; The first being something everyone should be able to do.
I pretty much have it engraved in the back of my head. I can tune back to standard no matter how much you mess with it.
Quote by Y00p
So, did you tune the low E with a tuner and tuned the rest of the strings to that, or did you completely tune A to e without any sort of guidance?

'Cause there's a big difference, and the latter is way cooler than the first; The first being something everyone should be able to do.

+1
i wish u didnt make a thread cos now i feel as though i need to learn lol

gratz tunning my ear is a great skill
Quote by Y00p

I tuned it by ear after I restrung it, checked it with a tuner and every string except low E was on point.
I swore I said that...
You stole my heart!
You ran away!
Now I'm heartless!
So fuck you anyway!
Quote by Pac_man0123
Wait, what's tremble picking? Do you mean tremolo picking?

No I meant tremble, like in metal where you pluck a string really fast back and forth. Before I would just try to down pick really fast.
You stole my heart!
You ran away!
Now I'm heartless!
So fuck you anyway!
Quote by baNG1989
I tuned it by ear after I restrung it, checked it with a tuner and every string except low E was on point.
I swore I said that...

Ah yes, then it's good job on you.

You did say that, but your first point can also be read like 'I've just tuned all string by ear to E after tuning E to a tuner'.

Good job!

Quote by baNG1989
No I meant tremble, like in metal where you pluck a string really fast back and forth. Before I would just try to down pick really fast.

Yeah, that's tremolo picking.

edit: Also, edit button.

edit2: Seriously dude, don't multi-post.
Last edited by Y00p at Sep 5, 2009,
Quote by Archieisted
i wish u didnt make a thread cos now i feel as though i need to learn lol

gratz tunning my ear is a great skill

Thanks
You stole my heart!
You ran away!
Now I'm heartless!
So fuck you anyway!
Quote by Y00p
Ah yes, then it's good job on you.

You did say that, but your first point can also be read like 'I've just tuned all string by ear after tuning E to a tuner'.

Good job!

thanks dude
You stole my heart!
You ran away!
Now I'm heartless!
So fuck you anyway!
Quote by KAS1981
Drop D by ear is easy. Just tune the low E until it matches the D string.

Or just tune the low E until the 7th fret sound matches with the open A
I can tune to the low E almost perfect, then I interval tune from there. It's fun.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS: