Hello,
If its not in the right forum, i'll move it.

Every time i've recorded something, I've plugged the line out on my amp directly into my computer. As was said last night in a different thread, with a crappy sound card it can cause a lot of horrible noises, especially with a 120w half stack....

So today I was playing around with Mic-ing it to my computer. Still wasnt getting a good true tone. It almost sounded like there was a light flanger on my tone...I'm wondering if theres a certain spot or distance from the cab to position the mic...if it helps, I have a 412 slant cab.

I positioned it on a chair directly in front of the cab, and ended up getting a lot of buzzing from the material on the chair, and realized it wasnt the best way

Once again, sorry if i'm on the wrong thread, and if i am, could you direct me to a "setting up your mic for mic-ing" thread?

If it helps, and gives you an idea of the tone i was getting, look on my profile, as I am in the process of uploading it. (yes its oriental melody by satch)

Thanks
Peavey JSX 120 Half Stack
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE
Mockingbird Special(White)

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

So I dub Thee Unforgiven Three! -How it should have been
You'd get better answers in Riffs&Recordings, we know our mic stuff over there. What kind of mic are you using? You should be using a proper interface, with your computer's sound card you'll never get a good sound.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
You'd get better answers in Riffs&Recordings, we know our mic stuff over there. What kind of mic are you using? You should be using a proper interface, with your computer's sound card you'll never get a good sound.

Well the mic isnt the greatest, the kind that you would normally see an MC using at some presentation or something...just your standard "make my voice louder" microphone.

Maybe i should look into investing into something else.
I record on Adobe Audition, which is the newer Cool-Edit Pro

Thanks!
**Oh holy moderators, I call unto Thee! Please redirect this thread to the riffs/recordings forum**
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

Point it to the center of one of your speakers. 1 inch from the grille.

This is just one of many ways to position a mic, but it's the most popular and gives the warmest tone.
Get a stand for it so you can put it right up on the speaker without worrying about movement. Best use a Dynamic mic as you wont get the flanger, slight changes in the mic postion can change the sound dramaticly all about trial and error really
Thanks everyone
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE