0 0%
DigiTech HardWire Series TL-2 Metal Distortion
12 50%
other; suggest in thread
10 42%
mod the metal muff? tell me who/where/how much
2 8%
Voters: 24.
im finally getting my amp and pedals set up to where it sounds quite good, but im thinking my metal muff isn't doing it for me. no matter how i EQ it, it never sounds exactly the way i want. i think i've recently adopted the belief that if it isn't exactly the sound i want, then its no good *

so im willing to ditch it and try something new.

now, i need suggestions for a distortion pedal. i need to be clear that i am not in need of an overdrive or a boost. i already have an overdrive that i am very content with. i specifically need something that will do true brutal metal. im not very good at describing tone with words, but i think i want something very highly distorted but capable of very tightly articulated single notes. i do not really need versatility, i want it to do 1 thing and 1 thing only.

budget: no limit really; quality of tone is all important
current gear: blackstar ht5, fulltone ocd, MXR 10 band eq, isp decimator, tech 21 boost rvb, pedal power 2, cool rail/hotrail pickups.

heres what i was looking at:

1. mxr dimebag distortion
one of the reasons why im not so sure on this one is that i dont really scoop my mids, and i can't try it out before i buy it.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXR-DD11-Tribute-Dime-Distortion?sku=151131

2. digitech hardwire tl-2 metal distortion pedal
currently leaning towards this one. i would like to know why its so cheap. come on, they have to be sacrificing something to make it so cheap .

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/DigiTech-Hardwire-Series-TL2-Metal-Distortion-Guitar-Effects-Pedal?sku=500138

3. other than those two, i want recommendations from people that own/use/know of something else that is good.

4. does anyone mod metal muffs? i consider that an option if there is a reputable place/person for having it done.

i hear mixed things about boss pedals... im not going to say no just cause it has the name boss on it, but if you recommend one, please be sure that it actually is good. and id like second and third opinions on it to be sure.

i regretabbly can't say i want a pedal that will sound like "xxband" cause im not tryin to sound like someone else... im chasing the sound in my head...

suggestions welcome. it doesn't have to be something i can get from musiciansfriend either. if i have to have it built by hand by someone, thats fine. just tell me who, where, and how much.

*just realized this might be slightly confusing. i have 3 seperate sounds i use: completely clean, high gain overdriven (80's metal/shred) , and no bull!@#$ distorted (modern) metal. the one i am unhappy with is the last one, and i do not use the metal muff for the first 2 sounds.
Last edited by SpeedLives at Sep 5, 2009,
The Hardwire series wasn't designed by DigiTech, if I remember correctly; they bought out the company that did, I think, and rebranded them under their name.

They're cheap because it doesn't cost more than $50 in parts to put together a distortion pedal, I guess.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Buy either a Boss MT-2 and have it modded by Keeley/Monte Allum (Tri-Gain Sustainia Mod = badass. you just have to do it yourself, in Monte Allum's case anyways) or the DS-1 modded by Keeley.

If you don't want to deal with modding a pedal, Blackstar sells a pretty good distortion stompbox.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
The Hardwire series of pedals has some great stuff. The TL-2 is my current favorite metalcore/deathcore pedal.

Edit: With a Boss DS-1 you're not going to get a real metal distortion (maybe 80's metal, but no modern stuff). Boss MT-2... I've always been a fan of it till the TL-2 came along.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Last edited by asfastasdark at Sep 5, 2009,
k, well that answers the cheap question...

however, the question of quality still remains XD.

edit: wow, fast replies. reading now.
i already use a boost. i use my fulltone ocd.

edit2: i am looking for a modern distortion, not 80's metal; i already have 80s metal. that should be easier to understand. didn't know what to call it

Quote by ZeroCS
Buy either a Boss MT-2 and have it modded by Keeley/Monte Allum (Tri-Gain Sustainia Mod = badass. you just have to do it yourself, in Monte Allum's case anyways) or the DS-1 modded by Keeley.

If you don't want to deal with modding a pedal, Blackstar sells a pretty good distortion stompbox.

and naturally i looked at the blackstar pedals. however they do not have sound clips on MF(it would have to be just a sound clip, not a video cause my internet sucks), and i dont want to end up having to send it back. anyone have a clip on their profile maybe?

as for a modded boss MT-2...anyone point me in the direction of a sound clip? or a second opinion on it?

im not sure if i made it clear in my first post, but i want the best quality possible, and money is probably not going to be a problem. (it must be a pedal though, i dont want to get a second amp)
If you have no budget, then I recommend the Tech 21 SansAmp GT2. Also check out Radial's effects.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
ahh i was looking at the sansamp...im not really sure on it though.

im assuming calif/high gain = mesa sound

but id rather not assume anything.

i didn't see a modern metal offering from radial. course i only looked through the first 5 pages on MF. ill check out everything theyve got now.
Hot British?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
thats not really the flavor that im looking for at all i dont think...

" If you like a great hard rock tube distortion, then this pedal definately for you. If you like the chunky Dimebag-type sound, then..."

thats the opposite of what im currently trying to get XD

modern metal is what we're after right now XD

edit: im not discarding suggestions. im getting sound clips on them as theyre suggested
Quote by ZeroCS

this is exactly what i had in mind when i chose "other" in your poll. spot on Zero!
Quote by SpeedLives
i already use a boost. i use my fulltone ocd.

edit2: i am looking for a modern distortion, not 80's metal; i already have 80s metal. that should be easier to understand. didn't know what to call it

and naturally i looked at the blackstar pedals. however they do not have sound clips on MF(it would have to be just a sound clip, not a video cause my internet sucks), and i dont want to end up having to send it back. anyone have a clip on their profile maybe?

as for a modded boss MT-2...anyone point me in the direction of a sound clip? or a second opinion on it?

im not sure if i made it clear in my first post, but i want the best quality possible, and money is probably not going to be a problem. (it must be a pedal though, i dont want to get a second amp)

http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=16
http://www.monteallums.com/pedal_mods.html

Sound samples on the sites. For the Monte Allum one just scroll down and find it.

Opinions can be biased. Best you see if you like it yourself.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7

I have a Keeley MT-2 and love it AWESOME Pedal!!
Quote by SpeedLives
yar just finished downloading the monte allum one

Any of the two appeal to you? They really are excellent pedals.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7

I looked at the dimebag distortion pedal and even tried it out. I hated the way it sounded, but thats just me. I love the way boss pedals sound. You gotta go with an ML-2 or an MT-2.
I prefer to call them seizures of desire.
The Hardwire TL-2 is based on the Metal Zone circuit. That's why it's cheap.

I voted other. I highly recommend the Barber Dirty Bomb for high-gain. I got one recently and it's incredibly versatile.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
not sure if you're still looking, but i can't stress Keeley's MT-2 twilight zone mod enough. Absolutely the best distortion i've ever come across in a box. rich, articulate, heavy, and doesn't break the bank.
so far im leaning towards the keeley mt-2

i've heard things about that barber dirty bomb, but ive got to look up a sound clip for it still.

i checked the soundclips for the radial stuff, but they are definitely not what im looking for. im not saying they sounded bad, but they are not even close to the type of distortion that im trying to get.
Last edited by SpeedLives at Sep 6, 2009,