So, I sold my Jemini Distortion to this dude for 100 bucks. Half an hour later I get emails saying he's got loud buzzing, and then one that says it stopped working. Turns out the guy was using an 18 volt power supply.

Now, before I rip this guy a new butthole (cause he was caps typing at me, making it sound like my fault), overloading a pedal with to much voltage does cause buzzing and pedal death, right?

I'm pretty sure about this, but I've never overloaded a pedal, so I don't know from experience.

The pedal was working fine 5 minutes before I gave it to him, so I know its not me.
Using double the voltage will definitely fry it up.

EDIT: I don't know about buzzing since I never tried overloading a pedal, but I have previously killed electronics by using more than the required voltage.
Last edited by pwrmax at Sep 5, 2009,
Not your fault at all, not your responsibility.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Alright, thank you guys very much. He totally got in my face about it (well, as much as he could over email) demanding that I refund him.

Time to write an angry letter. That'll show 'em!
Yeah, I once accidentally fried a 9V pedal simply by using a 12V power source. That alone was enough to kill the sound and induce a suspiciously burnt toast-like smell, so 18V would be pretty darn crazy. That's definitely his fault, not yours.
Quote by SLonergan
Alright, thank you guys very much. He totally got in my face about it (well, as much as he could over email) demanding that I refund him.

Time to write an angry letter. That'll show 'em!
erm, no?

how about you just write him and say no.

"This is your fault, plain and simple. That pedal is meant to run on 9v, not 18v. You had no business expecting it to work properly with double the voltage. You messed up. You ruined the pedal. Your problem, not mine. Simple as that."
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
erm, no?

"This is your fault, plain and simple. That pedal is meant to run on 9v, not 18v. You had no business expecting it to work properly with double the voltage. You messed up. You ruined the pedal. Your problem, not mine. Simple as that."

I concur. Writing an angry letter would seem deflective, and would cause more issues.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
erm, no?

This. Also point out to him that it says right on the pedal how much voltage it needs so ignorance isn't an excuse.
Quote by NecroMaster
I concur. Writing an angry letter would seem deflective, and would cause more issues.

But releasing your anger on a stupid person will make you feel better

You didnt sell him the original power supply with the pedal? Who buys a pedal without one or at least knowing the type that it needs.

Are there pedals out there that even require 18v?

lol I wonder if the guy has used a power adapter from a laptop or something.
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

To be honest you have no obligation to give him a refund anyway, you're not a shop, refunds from private sellers are descretionary. It's just part and parcel of the risk involved in order to get a cheap pedal. People might not like you much though. In this case however it was totally the guy's fault. I dunno whether he just didn't have any other supplies lying around or he thought that somehow it would sound better like an EMG pickup or something!
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Sep 5, 2009,
Quote by eddiehimself
To be honest you have no obligation to give him a refund anyway, you're not a shop, refunds from private sellers are descretionary. It's just part and parcel of the risk involved in order to get a cheap pedal. People might not like you much though. In this case however it was totally the guy's fault.
erm, no.

If it wasn't the buyer's fault for misuse, the seller has an obligation to supply functional merchandise or state clearly that it's defective. Otherwise, it's fraud.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Thanks for the comments everyone. Let me explain what I meant by "angry letter." When I write letters like that, they are well thought out, and disguised as a factual, objective notes. But the disguise is very thin.

The reason he DESERVES a letter like this, is because he threatened to report me to the police, and caused me a lot of distress, when it was clearly his fault.

Worst of all, I supplied not only the pedal, but the instruction manual that says "Use one of these power supplies to avoid damage to the pedal." It then lists three specific power supplies. He used none of them.

When I made the sale, I even said "I use a Dunlop Power Brick with this, but there is info in the manual about what type of adapter to use."
Last edited by SLonergan at Sep 5, 2009,
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
erm, no.

If it wasn't the buyer's fault for misuse, the seller has an obligation to supply functional merchandise or state clearly that it's defective. Otherwise, it's fraud.

And it was functional...before he killed it. I told him during the sale that the battery hookup didn't work, meaning that he had to use a power supply. Which he was going to do anyway. I had used this pedal for almost a year with no problems. The first day he gets it, it shows symptoms of overloading, then dies.
Could also help to direct him to this thread just to show you aren't making your facts up.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
erm, no.

Look i dunno what it's like in your country but as long as it's working to the best of your knowledge when you sold it then there is no obligation to refund the person.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Yeah, and it worked right before I gave it to him. I've never had that problem with it before. It can't be something that I did.
Quote by eddiehimself
Look i dunno what it's like in your country but as long as it's working to the best of your knowledge when you sold it then there is no obligation to refund the person.
Wrong.

It must WORK when you sell it.
There is no "to the best of your knowledge" bullshit clause.

I really doubt the UK has some massive loophole like what you've suggested in their laws regarding fraud.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by Invader Jim
re-cap the pedal and replace any other components that can't run on 18v and it'll mtl work again...

Thanks, but I'm not worried about getting it to work again. I don't have the pedal anymore. It was his fault.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Wrong.

I really doubt the UK has some massive loophole like what you've suggested in their laws regarding fraud.

And it DID work. I took pics on my phone of it working right before I gave it to him (we met in front of a theater, so there was no way to plug it in and show him).
Quote by SLonergan
Thanks, but I'm not worried about getting it to work again. I don't have the pedal anymore. It was his fault.

Yeah, you've made that perfectly clear.

so do you want it fixed or do you want to keep complaining about some guy who ruined your pedal? I assumed you wanted it fixed, but I guess not.

Speaking of, what is the point of this thread? you already got an answer to your original question.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Wrong.

yes but you don't know so you can't say i'm wrong. Besides i highly doubt you're going to be arrested for fobbing off some cheap guitar FX pedal to someone that doesn't work. Anyway it is to the best of your knowledge, i mean you can't PROVE it was working the second you sold it to the person, they could just as easily have broken it themselves and claim it was your fault. In the real world there are people who do this sort of thing and it's very difficult to prove because to the outsider who doesn't know like a policeman or a claims court judge, it's simply one person's word against the other.
EH

Last edited by eddiehimself at Sep 5, 2009,
Quote by Invader Jim
Yeah, you've made that perfectly clear.

so do you want it fixed or do you want to keep complaining about some guy who ruined your pedal? I assumed you wanted it fixed, but I guess not.

Speaking of, what is the point of this thread? you already got an answer to your original question.

Okay. I guess you're not understanding what I'm saying.

I do not want the pedal fixed. I do not care.

The point of this thread was for me to get verification that what he did could have caused the pedal to break. I'm not complaining about him ruining the pedal. I do not care.

I...don't...care...

M'kay Pumpkin?
Quote by Invader Jim
if you two are gonna argue, you're gonna get a warning. do it through PMs or something. keep it out of this thread.
Read and understood.

Quote by Invader Jim
Don't ever call me "pumpkin".
How about "snookums"?

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
this is why whenever i buy a used pedal i spend atleast 20 minutes trying it out first if the seller allows it, and if they dont and want to meet infront of a theater where i have to rely on the word of a complete stranger as to whether or not it is fully functioning i will usually move on to something else since it's more trouble than its worth.

it's the dudes fault for using the wrong power supply. it's also his fault he bought a used pedal sight unseen without trying it out first. people should use a bit more common sense when making pedal purchases. also is there any confirmation other than from the seller that it doesnt work? maybe he just didnt like the sound of it and figured trying to say it was busted would be a easy way to get his money back instead of just saying "i dont like the sound can i have my monies back?" which would likely result in a resounding "no".

make a deal with him. take the pedal back but pay him what a burned out pedal is worth since you shouldnt be expected to return all his money if he damaged it and turned it into a paperweight. figure $25 should cover it. then do what jim said and fix it and sell it again, this time with a disclaimer that the buyer should use the right power supply with it.

-or-

write your angry letter to the guy but dont be surprised when he starts pasting your cell and/or email all over the craigslist casual encounters section out of spite leading to phone calls from sexually frustrated homosexual men at all hours of the night.