I play mostly acoustic songs with open chords and barre's, and simple lead parts. But, for that I have my acoustic guitar.

My question is, what gauge of strings for the electric guitar are good for what I like to play? On the electric guitar, I like to play acoustic songs "metal-fied", playing the lead of the songs with distortion, and the chords as power chords (because i'm a beginner in Metal). Eventually, i'd like to play folk metal, power metal, epic metal, and the like. A few of my favorite bands are Sonata Arctica, Omnia, Nightwish, Korpiklaani, and Alestorm.
My guitar has a floyd rose bridge, and I regret buying it with a floyd rose on it. We're probably going to lock it soon.
the gauge is universal for most brands, but 10 gauge will get you through alestorm yarrghhh and lamb of god etc most drop d stuff just swell
Quote by Y00p
Are you looking for numbers, or brands/types?

Numbers. But if you have a brand to recommend, please do
Quote by toasticles
the gauge is universal for most brands, but 10 gauge will get you through alestorm yarrghhh and lamb of god etc most drop d stuff just swell

And through the lighter stuff?
to be honest i wouldnt have a clue for acoustic because mine still has the strings i bought it with, (in perfect nick a really good cheap ashton that sounds amazing for john butler songs), sozz i'm more of a metal-player and brand wise go for the one that costs in the middle- too cheap and they'll break easy and be **** for pickups, too expensive and if they do break then its a waste of money, just go for fender or a generic kinda brand last ones i bough where fender nickelplated steel 10 gauge for my muck about strat
Gauge wise
gauge 10-48 for E
gauge 10-52 for E dropped D
gauge 12-54 for C or D
gauge 13-56+ for B and lower

you can go lighter if you want lighter sounding chords and stuff, but generaly those gauges do it all for those tunings specified

Brand wise
I recommend different brands for different purposes. Personally I always either use coated or blue steel for longevity and although people say coated strings lack tone I think its all in their head lol :P. Ill give you a rundown of the common brands and you decide for your specific purpose.

* =coated
+ = goes for coated aswell as non coated

Ernie ball stay in tune realy well, but i find dont last as long. +

Elixr have great longevity, equall tone to ernie ball and sit fairly lose on the neck so they are better for quicker styles. * (I usually use Elixr for their playability)

Deam Markley blue steel have amazing tone and last almost as long as coated strings. All round theyre a very good string IMO.

DR have pretty good tone, but sit realy tight so are harder to play quick styles with. They do however have good clean tones. They actualy sit so much tighter the other guitarist in my band had to rebalance his floyd rose, even though it was the same gauge with no other variables. + (also as a bonus you can get DR coated in colours ) +

GHS stay in tune realy well and and generaly have a good tone. I haven't come across any GHS coated styles now I think about it but they probably do have some. For standard steel guitar strings they last the longest, but again, blue steel or coated styles all last longer easily.

I personaly think strings are a bigger factor to tone and play ability than people give them credit for. So make sure you get the right type for you-it might take some expermienting
Last edited by shredder408 at Sep 5, 2009,
Quote by shredder408

Ernie ball stay in tune realy well, but i find dont last as long. +

Elixr have great longevity, equall tone to ernie ball and sit fairly lose on the neck so they are better for quicker styles. * (I usually use Elixr for their playability)

Deam Markley blue steel have amazing tone and last almost as long as coated strings. All round theyre a very good string IMO.

DR have pretty good tone, but sit realy tight so are harder to play quick styles with. They do however have good clean tones. They actualy sit so much tighter the other guitarist in my band had to rebalance his floyd rose, even though it was the same gauge with no other variables. + (also as a bonus you can get DR coated in colours ) +

GHS stay in tune realy well and and generaly have a good tone. I haven't come across any GHS coated styles now I think about it but they probably do have some. For standard steel guitar strings they last the longest, but again, blue steel or coated styles all last longer easily.

Try all the brands that this guy has mentioned and then stick with the one that you like best. Also maybe try D'Addario and Fender strings.
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

String brands are all personal preference. I know guys who swear by D'Addario, whereas I think they are dull and rubbish. I've tried a fair few brands (GHS, DR, D'Addario, Ernie Ball, Rotosound, Optima Gold, Fender, Gibson) and my personal favourites are Rotosounds and Optima Golds. Optima golds, are gold plated, so last for ages and look amazing. They sound pretty great too (but feel a tad weird when sliding at first). They are however, rather expensive.

My overall favourites are Rotosounds. They are cheap, they last ages for me and they sound great. I can't fault them really (although I've has one snap at the ball end). They give you a free high e. I have about 7 spare high e strings now. I find they have the right mixth of warmth and brightness. The standard 10s are what I usually use, although I use 11s on my tele and there is no problem with soloing/bending etc. The feel slightly more substantial under my fingers so I prefer the 11s, but 10s are great as a start and change if needs be.

Try as many brands as you want, to find something perfect for you. I'm always on the look out for new strings to try, but I know I can always rely on rotosounds.