so, ive been looking for a new amp for a while, preferably around 50w or so.

and my girlfriends dad has offered me a Marshall DSL 401.

what would you guys say is a decent price for this amp?

and is it a good amp for all round use?

i play anything from acoustic sounds played clean on an electric, to paramore, to foo fighters, to AC/dc, to metallica, to Killswitch engage to slipknot etc etc etc

you get my general style

help me out then guys
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
Well, i constantly see DSLs going for 400-500 on CL and such, maybe you could pick it up for around 300-ish quid

The DSL has good cleans, and it's got good drive but won't do teh brutalz, like slipknot.
Best chance is either a super good metal pedal (Zvex box of metal = lots o cash) or a good, solid boost to run those tubes harder
probably gigging small-med ish places with it if the rest of my band get off there arses haha.

frogt to mention, im in englaaaaaand

and for the heavier side id most probably run my metal muff through it

EDIT: you most prbably sw that im in england from the location bit haha, sorry
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

I think so...
Since you're in the UK, 300 quid is a good deal, with 350 being the highest I'd go. The 401 isn't exactly Odin's gift to mankind, but will get you good modern rock tones, so you've got Paramore and the Foo Fighters covered. Metal can be done, but this is more of a rock than a metal amp.
All in all not a bad amp, but not quiet "professional" quality I think. Take it for what it is (a nice rock amp) and you should be satisfied.
so would you guys agree that him letting me take it for £100 is a really good price???

hahaha
Quote by Spaztikko

I think so...
Last edited by MickAlmighty at Sep 5, 2009,
haha, then in that case,

i need to find £50 for monday, then the other £50 for friday haha
Quote by Spaztikko

I think so...
£100 is a steal for that amp. It won't be able to do teh br00tz like Killswitch and Slipknot on it's own, but get an overdrive like a Maxon OD808 and that will *probably* be enough to push it to that stage.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Beffyyy

any reason for posting this? haha
Quote by Spaztikko

I think so...
They are a great alternative if you are looking for the british style tone

i have some expierience and am impressed with them

i chose that specific model because it seems similar to the dsl 401 (<50w 1x12)
ESP Eclipse I CTM FR (KGC BRASS BLOCK + IronGear Blues Engine + Dirty Torque + BCS Wiring Kit
Jet City Fusion

Blackstar S1-104 EL34

Engl Standard 4x12 (V60's)

Korg PitchBlack
ZCAT Delay-Reverb
Snarling Dogs Whine-O-Wah
Quote by Beffyyy
They are a great alternative if you are looking for the british style tone

i have some expierience and am impressed with them

i chose that specific model because it seems similar to the dsl 401 (<50w 1x12)

That's £500, he can get the DSL for £100...
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Quote by Juadafi
That's £500, he can get the DSL for £100...

hehe, my point exactly

so, we're all in agreement: im a lucky ****er able to get said amp and such a low price? thus, resulting in me GETTING the amp...

then having an ACTUAL NAD
Quote by Spaztikko

I think so...
They're pretty good amps for what you want to do.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Awesome deal. Nice one. I'd change the stock speaker though... I find that's the main flaw with the 401 combo. Other than that, you're pretty much set.

Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

fair enough.

just WHY do you find them to be the main flaw?

and what would you recoment changing the speaker TO exactly??
Quote by Spaztikko

I think so...
Don't talk about changing the speaker when you don't have the amp yet. You might like the speaker.
^ that is true, but if i dont, and it turns out to be the flaw in this amp, like jimbob said, then id like to see what he (or anyone else for that matter) would like to reccomend changing it for
Quote by Spaztikko

I think so...