I don't normally post in the forums so I don't even know if this is the right place to ask this, but bear with me.

I'm starting a progressive death metal band predominantly for Gojira covers, but to appeal to the high school crowd, we wanted to start with a deathcore song or two. Unfortunately, I'm a noob who learned how to play but never learned proper music theory, so I can't create a harmony right.

So my question is, how do you create a discordant harmony? Like the ones used in modern deathcore? For instance, the harmonies created by the low and high notes in Job for a Cowboy's "Entombment of a Machine's" tremolo picked passages? Or in the same passages in Suicide Silence's "No Pity For A Coward?" Or in the same passage in pretty much any deathcore song? Save Carnifex, who seem to use consonant harmonies more often than not.

And if I'm in the wrong place, help me out!
first find the key of the song
second right out the notes of key
third right out the notes your playing (hopefully within that key)
fourth, use the 6th, 2nd, 7th, intervals for very dissonance sounding harmonies
Thanks for the help, but honestly even some of that went over my head. I don't have an ear for the key of the song either. I can play, but I'm pretty much retarded when it comes to music.

But beyond that, thanks. I'll probably ask some I know whose more savvy than more for help.

Quote by KoenDercksen
Then he has to be able to find the key etc. ^^

And know what intervals are, etc etc., do you know that TS???

No, actually I've no clue. =.=

Quote by garyd7
You're playing deathcore to appeal to the high school crowd? :O

And yeah, at my school that's the more popular genre. Though I wish they'd open their eyes to some better stuff.
Last edited by herzeleid1995 at Sep 5, 2009,
Idk if this is what your looking for, but if you're looking to create a "dissonant harmony" (contradiction, lol) have one guitar play a melody and the other play the same thing just sharp or flat every note.

But thats just one way
I hate my sig
I'm pretty sure most deathcore ends up using strict minor 3rd harmony. So, TS, have your other guitarist play your melody exactly 3 frets up. Luckily, it's that easy in this case.
Quote by Eastwinn
I'm pretty sure most deathcore ends up using strict minor 3rd harmony. So, TS, have your other guitarist play your melody exactly 3 frets up. Luckily, it's that easy in this case.

That's a good, simple way to do it, and I'd surmised as much, but will that work everywhere on the fretboard? That's my issue.

Quote by Martindecorum
Lets start simple then,

Do u no what notes your are playing on the guitar, either by name A - B - C - C#

or by tab

Yeah, I got the tab, but I don't know the notes.
It should "work" with everything, but whether or not it sounds good is up to you. If you want to continue 'cheating' and just bumping everything up 3 frets, you could try playing the melody in a different octave and bumping that up 3 frets. That's basically equivalent to bumping it up a total of 15 frets. You could experiment with different amounts until it sounds right to you, but 3 is very standard*. This is all what I call "strict" harmony -- outside of metal, it's typically done in 3rds or 5ths. Whether that 3rd be a major or minor or that 5th be perfect or diminished is totally dependent on it's position in the scale of the song. If you want to learn about that, you need to learn more about theory first. But in metal, it's often done strictly with minor 3rds, no matter the scale.

*It's been around since Atheist. Since then, it's had the shit abused out of it.