If you look closely, he is picking it with his pinky nail on his right hand. Using your nail will make it louder and more defined.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
Thats it? Just nail? I've only been recently incorporating nails into my overall fingerpicking play and its a little cumbersome. I'll try & manage tho
no, thats not it. go and watch the video again and you'll see that he is using two fingers of his right hand to produce those harmonics. his forefinger is lightly touching the high e string while his pinky plucks it. this is a slightly advanced technique but with patience and practice you should be able to pull it off. good luck.
It's called a harp harmonic. You touch the string at the fret with your index finger, and then the most common way to pick is to use your ring finger. If you don't need your thumb at the time then it's simpler for some people to use their thumb instead of the ring finger to pluck the string
I'm doing the same but with different fingers. I use my right(strumhand) Middle finger to lightly touch and thumb to pluck(seems easier to me) . I found out this harmonic after doing research after seeing this vid. Using my nail did make a much louder nicer noise but not nearly AS loud.
You wont get them that loud without amplification. He's definitely using some sort of amplification system.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
hmmm Im pretty sure that guitar doesnt support an amp since I've seen him play it with no wire sticking out and its a Manuel Contreras 1986 and Im no guitar expert but im pretty sure it doesnt support an amp
My bad. You're probably right on that one. I started watching another one of his videos with the black classical guitar. That one definitely has some sort of amplification system. This one probably doesn't... meaning all the harmonics are probably just his nails.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
hmmm I think I got it. I use my right thumb nail to pull pretty strongly while using my right middle to push down somewhat strongly also. Done right it sounds pretty loud. Less so on the 1st string. This was done on my accoustic since my classical is in its case & I dont feel like taking it out at this time of night so some1 else try it on their classical and post up or just wait till I do it tomorrow.