Ok so im just looking for a point in the right direction here. I usually look for these things on the net or w/e, but just a bit of a nudge would be cool..

I was messing about on my acoustic and found a nice chord.

only 2 notes fretted, rest is open strings.

notes are A(open string) D(open string) D A e(open string)

The D is 7th fret G string. A is 10th fret B string.

Sounds nice right?

Now how would i go about finding where this fits in theory wise? What scale does it belong to? The reason i wanna know is because id like to be able to find out some other chords that would go nice with it. I usually just guess around the notes available but id like to understand it more. thanks.
your notes are A D E

which I guess you could call something like Dsus2/A

and it does sound pretty similiar to a regular Dsus2 (xx0230)
Yeh it does! But sounds a bit brighter which i like more

But im looking for a way to create more chords like this one, so how would i go about doing it?
Quote by steeLmonkeyz
Yeh it does! But sounds a bit brighter which i like more

But im looking for a way to create more chords like this one, so how would i go about doing it?

Make suspended chords.

Sus2 chord:
1 2 5

Sus4 chord:
1 4 5
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
If you look at it in the context of keys, the keys that one chord could fit into would be C major, F major, A major, D major, or G major you would have to tell the other chords in the song to narrow it down to one key. so i guess just pick a key and play chords from each key paired with your mystery chord until you find the sound your looking for then just construct chords from that scale