Now, I have a couple of school based music ensembles of which I am a part. One is jazz and the other is a contemporary music ensemble. The problem is that there are a fuckton of guitar players in both groups. There are only 3 amps that are working at the school: A red knob Fender Twin, a Roland JC120, and a Peavey SS amp. There is also an Ampeg VT-22 in the corner that apparently doesn't work.

The problem I have is that last week, I had to use a JC120 for distortion sounds. Anyone who knows what the dist on a JC120 sounds should know how much I was hating life at that point.

Now, my sound for comes from my 2 amp setup, and I'd like to be able to bring them to band practice. However, it's a mile and a half walk to the school, and towing a couple of 75 pound amps doesn't seem to be that fun. I don't have a vehicle at the moment.

So, solutions: Fix the ampeg in the music room there; suck it up and play with ****ty tone; lug my rig to school and back again.

FML

P.S. Anyone in the greater Sacramento area who wants to give me a ride
Figure out whats wrong with the Ampeg...
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
maybe see if one of your parents/friends could give you a ride back to school one afternoon and see if you can leave your amps at school, at least a couple of days before a performance.
Gear :

Gibson Les Paul Special
Fender Koa Stratocaster
Korg Pitchblack
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
BBE Boosta Grande
Fulltone OCD v4
EHX Russian Big Muff Pi
Vox Night Train
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Marshall Class 5
Quote by MetalGuitarest
maybe get like a 5-15 watt tube amp and if the school has a cab hook it up to that?

My V33H is pretty light and manageable, but they don't have a cab there. I plan on getting an Epiphone Valve Senior, but I don't have the funds right now.

Quote by LegsOnEarth
Cool story bro

NOW BACK TO THE PIT WITH YOU, KNAVE!!!
Get a good pedal and use the fender twin's cleans and the pedal for distortion. The blackstar pedals are good, but I've heard some rave reviews of the seymour duncan twin tube pedals. Look through this forum for some suggestions.

But if you don't want to spend money, then I'd go with the other suggestions already posted
Quote by rtmilster
maybe see if one of your parents/friends could give you a ride back to school one afternoon and see if you can leave your amps at school, at least a couple of days before a performance.

This is a bit tricky.

I have class at noon, and it runs til about 3 or 4. My mom doesn't get off work until 5, and all my buddies work graveyard like me.

Quote by Slicer666
Figure out whats wrong with the Ampeg...

I think it's a tube problem. Preamp tube. Now I just have to ninja fix it.

Or, what I could do is tell the department head that I'll take it off his hands for 100 bucks
Well do any of your friends have a decent distortion pedal you can borrow?
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
Quote by supergerbil
Get a good pedal and use the fender twin's cleans and the pedal for distortion. The blackstar pedals are good, but I've heard some rave reviews of the seymour duncan twin tube pedals. Look through this forum for some suggestions.

But if you don't want to spend money, then I'd go with the other suggestions already posted

I have a couple of Big Muffs, and they do me really well. And I have a couple of fuzzes.

The problem is, there are a ****ton of guitar players, and every one wants to use the Twin. I could be an ass and be like "**** you, motherbitch, I use teh twin", but that' ain't right, especially when I'm still not getting my sound.

And it's a Red Knob twin, and with a boost (I have a couple of them), the overdrive channel sounds pretty meaty.

I don't really like standalone distortion boxes, unless they're fuzzes.
Still, you can't get a ride from anyone.
Quote by axethrower13
But you only die once, so you may as well experience it to the fullest.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
If your school has a benefactor corporation, or group, maybe even the PTA. Right a letter to any of them or make a phone call. Contact VH1 or some of the other school music charities. Or go to Krispy Kreme and do a fundraiser donut sale at school. There is no reason there should be a broken Amp in your school, as Obama is about to say, "Take charge of your own education."

James
Quote by Its So Easy
Still, you can't get a ride from anyone.

To, not from.
Quote by IronFeliks
If your school has a benefactor corporation, or group, maybe even the PTA. Right a letter to any of them or make a phone call. Contact VH1 or some of the other school music charities. Or go to Krispy Kreme and do a fundraiser donut sale at school. There is no reason there should be a broken Amp in your school, as Obama is about to say, "Take charge of your own education."

James

It's a college. And I'm not sure how that works, I'm not a music major and I have very little inside information to how the music department works.
use pedals on the roland jc-120 if u cant use the fender...
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
just suck it up. learn to get the best tone from what is infront of you.
besides, your goal is to learn not to worry about tone while your in those ensembles.
you wont be using much distortion in jazz band, so the Jazz chorus is fine for that. and if you really "need" distortion in the other ensemble, then get an distortion/od/fuzz pedal. if you dont like "distortion/od/fuzz" pedals, then learn to play trumpet lol.

edit/ also, do what i did when there was a bunch of guitar players in all my ensembles. i talked to the instructors, and requested they hold an audition. took care of the problem quite well.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Last edited by chea_man at Sep 6, 2009,
^I'll see if I can.

Pedals on the JC is definitely an option, but I still ****ing hate that amp (for myself). Way too compressed, way too dry.

I'm probably going to lug my **** there on tuesday, honestly.
Quote by imgooley
^I'll see if I can.

Pedals on the JC is definitely an option, but I still ****ing hate that amp (for myself). Way too compressed, way too dry.

I'm probably going to lug my **** there on tuesday, honestly.

yeah im not in love with that amps tone either. but ive played through much worse in ensembles before.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Fix the ampeg for sure. That amp is godly.

And your sig is awesome, btw.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by imgooley
My V33H is pretty light and manageable, but they don't have a cab there. I plan on getting an Epiphone Valve Senior, but I don't have the funds right now.

NOW BACK TO THE PIT WITH YOU, KNAVE!!!

to my knowledge, they still havent released it, and its about a year overdue.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by chea_man
just suck it up. learn to get the best tone from what is infront of you.
besides, your goal is to learn not to worry about tone while your in those ensembles.
you wont be using much distortion in jazz band, so the Jazz chorus is fine for that. and if you really "need" distortion in the other ensemble, then get an distortion/od/fuzz pedal. if you dont like "distortion/od/fuzz" pedals, then learn to play trumpet lol.

edit/ also, do what i did when there was a bunch of guitar players in all my ensembles. i talked to the instructors, and requested they hold an audition. took care of the problem quite well.

You got a point. If I'm not hearing a passable tone from my amp, though, it's hard for me to play full out. The main problem in the jazz class is the number of guitar players. There are more players than there are amps. And as far as auditions; the professor of that particular class will not hold auditions because it's not a traditional jazz ensemble.

For the commercial ensemble, I need dirt, and I have dirtboxes. I just can't stand the feel of that JC120- it's so flat. I've played other SS amps that are more dynamic than that thing, for sure.

I'm probably dragging my amps with me
Quote by imgooley
You got a point. If I'm not hearing a passable tone from my amp, though, it's hard for me to play full out. The main problem in the jazz class is the number of guitar players. There are more players than there are amps. And as far as auditions; the professor of that particular class will not hold auditions because it's not a traditional jazz ensemble.

For the commercial ensemble, I need dirt, and I have dirtboxes. I just can't stand the feel of that JC120- it's so flat. I've played other SS amps that are more dynamic than that thing, for sure.

I'm probably dragging my amps with me

i completely understand where your coming from. ive always found i get the best sounds from not so great amps when i have my guitar volume on about 5-6. and i ALWAYS make sure i bring a better amp for performances, but i do find it easiest to just use whatever is there for practice. and honestly, i think its beneficial to use some not-so-great-sounding amp from time to time.
and like you im not a fan of the jazz chorus.
if your able to bring your amp, than by all means, do it. just seems like a hassle to me.

and off topic, your commercial ensemble, what is it like. im in something called electro-acoustic ensemble. im wondering if they are similar. it seems to evolve every semester though.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man

and off topic, your commercial ensemble, what is it like. im in something called electro-acoustic ensemble. im wondering if they are similar. it seems to evolve every semester though.

It's a big group of musicians, and we play basically any contemporary form of music. Any instrument is welcome, any skill level, etc. It's a big free for all.
Quote by imgooley
It's a big group of musicians, and we play basically any contemporary form of music. Any instrument is welcome, any skill level, etc. It's a big free for all.

thats how ours was at one point. and we try to play as many different styles as we could. as well as we could take turns bringing in original charts to play. which was cool.

now it is becoming more of a production class.
we gather in the studio, bring in demos, and take turns being the producer and the engineer, and the songwriter. im usually the guitar player and drummer for all the songs, but im sort of looking forward to doing some producing. i do not have what it takes to engineer though.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.