Hey guys. Since my birthday is within a month at this point, and since there's a lot of sales at Guitar Center and Sam Ash this weekend, I'm trying to get a good deal on an amp. I was hoping I could get some suggestions. I've already looked at some of the amp stickies for a little help, but I want to see what you guys think would work best. I'll give my "needs" below:

Looking for a tube amp combo (not sure how important wattage really is)
Trying to keep it under $500, but since there are sales $600 might be doable
I play any form of "modern" rock, along with jazz. No blues, and barely any classic rock.
I plan on using my pedals as my main source of distortion, so I'd prefer a good clean channel
I don't need many pre-set effects on the amp (like the Spider series). Looking to keep it simple.

I think that's what you guys typically ask for when it comes to helping others. Thanks for giving this a look!
Last edited by JP Oliver at Sep 5, 2009,
Eeee, jazz plus 'modern rock'...

What kind of modern rock are you playing and if you only need a clean amp, try something high wattage, like a Hot Rod Deluxe.

You'd be so much better going used, though.
used vox ac15 if you can. superb amp for jazz/funk/blues and with a dirt pedal it sounds really good.
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Quote by imgooley
Eeee, jazz plus 'modern rock'...

What kind of modern rock are you playing and if you only need a clean amp, try something high wattage, like a Hot Rod Deluxe.

You'd be so much better going used, though.

Heck, if I can still get a deal on a used amp at SA or GC, I'll go used. I just don't want the amp to be beaten to a point where I can't even use it.

I say modern rock because my "Rock" genre consists of the cheesy metalcore and some cheesy metal I guess. Anberlin, The Darkness, Avenged Sevenfold, Devil Wears Prada, Lostprophets, etc.
Last edited by JP Oliver at Sep 5, 2009,
Definitely look at the used section in the stores, I've seen some ridiculous deals. For good cleans I second Fender, at least for your price range and what these stores carry.
Quote by JP Oliver
Heck, if I can still get a deal on a used amp at SA or GC, I'll go used. I just don't want the amp to be beaten to a point where I can't even use it.

Fair enough. Make sure you do extensive research on fair prices, availability, possible issues, etc. before you buy.

Is portability an issue here, too? Because if your main source of dirt is going to be stompboxes, I suggest something with a high headroom.
Not sure what you mean by "high headroom," but portability isn't a huge issue. I'm mainly looking at combo tubes because I don't want a huge half stack or huge SS amp. This amp probably won't leave my home very often, though.
You Will probably want something with 6l6 or kt66 output tubes
ESP Eclipse I CTM FR (KGC BRASS BLOCK + IronGear Blues Engine + Dirty Torque + BCS Wiring Kit
Jet City Fusion

Blackstar S1-104 EL34

Engl Standard 4x12 (V60's)

Korg PitchBlack
ZCAT Delay-Reverb
Snarling Dogs Whine-O-Wah
Quote by JP Oliver
Not sure what you mean by "high headroom," but portability isn't a huge issue. I'm mainly looking at combo tubes because I don't want a huge half stack or huge SS amp. This amp probably won't leave my home very often, though.

High headroom, i.e. it won't distort very early, and it won't distort in the power section very easily. Something like a Twin. A Super Reverb is a great amp for Jazz, for sure, though not for modern rock so much.

Most modern rock type stuff uses preamp distortion, as opposed to stomp boxes
Quote by gnaraaron
used vox ac15 if you can. superb amp for jazz/funk/blues and with a dirt pedal it sounds really good.

this
Quote by gnaraaron

this
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix (R.I.P.)

"I'd much rather be home playing my guitar"
-Eddie Van Halen
vox ac15
Orange Tiny Terror

vox ac15 has my favorite clean tone ever, and the tiny terror is just plain awesome in every aspect
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
vox ac15 has my favorite clean tone ever

I had an eargasm from the AC30's cleans.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by JayT44

I had an eargasm from the AC30's cleans.

i dunno man, i'd take the ac15. the overdrive of the ac30 gives me boners, but the clean on that ac15.... good god.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
i dunno man, i'd take the ac15. the overdrive of the ac30 gives me boners, but the clean on that ac15.... good god.

What I meant was... i played an AC30, not a 15 and it was amazing. I would assume they would be about the same
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by JayT44
What I meant was... i played an AC30, not a 15 and it was amazing. I would assume they would be about the same

they have their own little quirks, but yeah they're pretty much the same