Hello Dear fellow musicians!

As the title suggests, I need your advice!

I want to invest a little sum of money around $200-300 to upgrade my recording equipment. At the moment I just use the line-in on my Mac and garageband.

What I want it to achieve is following- I want to be able to record at least TWO instruments at the same time on separate track so that I could then edit them as I wish on Garageband i.e. change reverb on vocals or add distortion to a guitar part without changing the sound of the entire track!

My perfect piece of equipment would have 2 or more XLR inputs and 2 or more 1/4 inch in puts.

At the moment, I am very tempted by something like Roland - VS-2400CD Digital Studio Workstation. Or something similar. Something that I record on and then transfer to my computer.

This is not necessarily for highly professional purpose, just for demo's and YouTube videos. Just for fun and personal pleasure.

What is your take on this? Do you think for my stated use, it would be the best idea to buy such workstation, record separate tracks (Live and Simultaneously) and then trasnfer them on my Mac or to buy Pre-amps/Mixer to go straight into Garageband?

I would really appreciate the advice. The stickied threads didn't really answer my question. I just want advice on what gear you would suggest and the best way around achieving what I want!

Thank You

Felix
also, just to add, if possible, I would love the equipment to have a feature of live monitoring, obviously with lowest latency possible

I hope I am not asking for too much

F
Look at the presonus fp10. LOTS of popping issues, just pops on the recording, but has 8 inputs that can be used as either xlr or 1/4th inch jack. That then plugs into your comp, via firewire. GREAT for recrding anything. the only problem is the popping/clicking, which is REALLY annoying. btw it costs about 400$, and needs a pretty powerful cpu.
Quote by ghostnineone
i got my guitar caught in my ceiling fan today

guitars fine though
Well your software is what determines monitoring ability or multi-track recording, and Garageband doesn't support multi-track recording simultaneously, but it does obviously have monitoring.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/PreSonus-AudioBox-USB-2X2-USB-Recording-System-243007-i1388074.gc

Not sure if that's two XLR and two 1/4" or just two 1/4", but you can always use an XLR->1/4" Male/male cable.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Ahh I'm not really a big fan of the "popping" issue! And it's a bit out of my price range!

Ahh thank you for the advice Kevy. So basically...in that case do you think I should purchase a workstation gadget? So that I could record simultaneously on different tracks and then transfer each track individually and the add it to Garageband?

For example, I record a song cover with vocals and guitar. If i have a work station, can I then send the vocal track (either by USB Stick/Flash Card or Firewire/USB cable) to my Mac and then transfer the wave (or whatever format it will be) file to Garageband for it's separate track and then add my guitar track?

Do mastertrack gadgets not have a live-monitoring output?

Am I completely talking about gadgets/set-up that is completely sci-fi here or maybe missing a point?
are you asking if you can connect some monitor or phones or whatever to the hardware that you'll be using to record??

if not i dont have a clue what you are talking about..
Last edited by KirbyzShadow at Sep 5, 2009,
Yea pretty much! Like a line-out into speakers or something! Is that possible? I want the sound to come out live as mixed tracks but the recording to actually go on two separate tracks
oh in that case dont worry is not sci-fi , most of the hardware to record has a line out where you can connect your speakers
but depending on the the speakers and the hardware you'll be getting you may need an 1/8 to 1/4 adapter (just in case you are like me and always forget something small that really is important)
Last edited by KirbyzShadow at Sep 5, 2009,
I have boxes of adapters collected over the years....I guess I just want an advice on what is the best way and best hardware for recording simulataneous 2+ tracks, then being able to export the tracks separately yet at the same time have the potential to have live monitoring MIXED
That's kind of a tall task. I know you're set on recording vocals and guitar at the same time, but just as a little hint, most recording studios do them separately, and I do too. So if you can do them separately, all your other requests you should be able to get.

PM or AIM me if you wanna chat about it.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Well it's not that I am set It's just, I have a sort of "live lounge" type of thing done at Uni where we make CD's then sell them for charity...

http://www.multitrackrecorder.com/item--MD.MR8HD-S

I was going to look at something like that!

I guess what I really want to know is if Digital multi-track recorders are capable of exporting individual tracks separately so that I could then add them to garageband and export as mp3. whilst at the same time allowing the vocalist hear himself live? This is less important during acoustic sessions but with Electric guitar it can get tricky!
Quote by Klugzy
Well it's not that I am set It's just, I have a sort of "live lounge" type of thing done at Uni where we make CD's then sell them for charity...

http://www.multitrackrecorder.com/item--MD.MR8HD-S

I was going to look at something like that!

I guess what I really want to know is if Digital multi-track recorders are capable of exporting individual tracks separately so that I could then add them to garageband and export as mp3. whilst at the same time allowing the vocalist hear himself live? This is less important during acoustic sessions but with Electric guitar it can get tricky!

I know that this multitrack recorder can do that. The music on the Fire Serpent's profile was recorded with this exact multitrack recorder and they sound like pro recordings dude. I don't know about other multitrack recorders but i;m pretty sure this one holds the separate tracks for you.
Ahh great thank you for that info! Fire Serpents? Ill have a browse!!

They are just so damn expensive in the UK...damn credit crunch and expensive dollars!