Page 1 of 3
Ok well there's a girl I like that thinks Irish accents are really sexy, so I want to learn how to do one to impress her. Any ideas/tips? (yes, I know there are many different regional accents, but I want to learn the "general" Irish accent. and I can't spend time around any Irish people either, because I don't know any) Thanks!

Edit: Ok i REALLY think most of you are completely missing the point....so I'll (once again) tell you what I mean

I am NOT trying to impersonate an Irish person. I'm not trying to tell her I'm from Ireland. I'm not going to always act Irish, I just want to do the accent OCCASIONALLY!!!! AS A JOKE!!!! we both realize full well that I am not from Ireland. Its just a little joke to make her laugh, and when I mean "impress" I just mean to make her laugh...

Most of you are interpreting this as - I'm trying to convince her I'm from Ireland, and I'm being a complete fake.

I'm being myself, its just a joke, like (stupid analogy I know) a magic trick. If I showed her a magic trick is doesn't mean I'm trying to convince her that I'm a professional magician, would it? I don't think so. So please try to understand what I'm saying.

And No , I did not tell her I already can speak with an Irish accent.
Last edited by musicisverycool at Sep 6, 2009,
My tip is that you are trying too hard.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
So what happens when you forget to speak with an Irish accent?
Quote by leeb rocks
SO I'VE BEEN BALLS DEEP IN MYSELF THIS WHOLE TlME?!?!
by general i'm assuming you mean the colin farrel?

i'm irish btw, so if you hav any qs bout it just ask
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You sigged me, AND had an idea the same as mine!
I like you.

About my Lady Gaga/Pokemon parody
Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
so if you end up going out with her you have to speak in an accent for the whole time??? seriously dont try so hard....
or watch dara o briain as well,

we excessively use the phrase "ah now"

throw in some colliquialism (spelling?) such as
"taking the piss" (making fun of)
"acting the maggot" (acting stupidly)
call someone a "prick" (basically a dickhead)

i'll edit in more as i think of them
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
I like you.

Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
no I'm not going to speak in an irish accent the whole time, i mean as just doing it occasionally to make her laugh/ impress her
Ah to be young and naive again...
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
lol thats funny! dont bother trying coz you will just mess up and make a fool of yourself
don't bother, you're not irish and you're trying too hard
you still have zoiiidbeeeerg
(V) (;,,;) (V)
YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG
Quote by TheBurningFish
It's more shocking to see Tom dressed at all.
Quote by suckersdream
I don't think I've ever actually seen him clothed.
Sexy Peoples Only
◕ ‿ ◕
TweetZ
How do you expect people typing in words to help you understand an accent? You might aswell ask a lamp post.
Quote by akack
We beat you 6-0 you stupid mother ****er.

"Nobody likes an unkempt shrubbery - The monty Python appreciation society"
Quote by Slashtallica
lol thats funny! dont bother trying coz you will just mess up and make a fool of yourself

why do you say that? I'm not going to always do the accent and be a fake, I've met her in person plenty of times, I just want to learn how to do it to make her laugh sometimes.
Quote by jimmyled
No. Be yourself.

i've the advantage of being myself whilst having my irish accent...jealous much TS?
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
I like you.

Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Quote by guitar-guy01
i've the advantage of being myself whilst having my irish accent...jealous much TS?

Me too
Drink the sauce. Go on, it's okay. Just remember, I am the quest.

Quote by illuminatiano
YOU ARE A NO GOOD LAZY FORGETFUL STONER WITH NO FUTURE YOU ARE WORTHLESS TO SOCIETY
Quote by guitar-guy01

I personally have no idea what an Irish accent sounds like. The only English accents we get around here is Israeli (sounds like ****, a mixture of Indian and Arab), American (the bad type, like in Brooklyn. Worst accent ever.) and (sadly) rarely, British.
Ok I think you guys are taking it the wrong way. I'm not going to speak in it the whole time, its not like i've never met her in person and i'm trying to convince her that i'm irish. she knows i'm not irish, i've met her in person plenty of times at school. i just want to learn how to do one, to make her laugh! as a joke! I think you guys are interpreting it to be much more serious than it actually is
talk like this

[irish accent] Would like to cop a feel of me irish steel. [/irish accent]
<--- This is Wally. Not Waldo.

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570
Fender MIA Strat (in black, HSS)
Godawful Marshall MG practice amp

My Youtube
My godawful blog
Quote by musicisverycool
Ok I think you guys are taking it the wrong way. I'm not going to speak in it the whole time, its not like i've never met her in person and i'm trying to convince her that i'm irish. she knows i'm not irish, i've met her in person plenty of times at school. i just want to learn how to do one, to make her laugh! as a joke! I think you guys are interpreting it to be much more serious than it actually is

If you never met her in person, how can you love her, and how do you expect to actually meet her?
Quote by Bubbles203
Me too

what region you have?

hehe TS could watch this
http://www.youtube.com/user/hardybucks
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
I like you.

Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Quote by musicisverycool

that's what i thought. though affecting one the whole time could be hilarious.

any particular one you want to do? do you know which ones she likes?

anyway, try these for starters:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiberno_English

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_accents#Ireland

bear in mind, i have never, ever heard anyone use the term "to be sure, to be sure". I'm pretty sure that's made up. we do, however, often add a negative at the end of the sentence, e.g. "it's hot today, isn't it [sometimes "so it is"]?"

generally speaking, the closer you get to the north and east of ireland/northern ireland, the closer the accent gets to scottish. In ballymena, a town in the north east of northern ireland, for example, the accent is basically scottish- if you met someone from ballymena in scotland you'd assume he/she was scottish (seriously, i'm not making that up). which is hilarious.

also bear in mind that the vast majority of irish accents (both north and south) are rhotic. i.e. like a pirate. just worth mentioning that if your actual accent isn't.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 5, 2009,
Quote by musicisverycool

So, why are you bothering? Seriously man, just be yourself and the pussy'll come rolling in, even if you are the most misogynistic chauvinist.
<--- This is Wally. Not Waldo.

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570
Fender MIA Strat (in black, HSS)
Godawful Marshall MG practice amp

My Youtube
My godawful blog
Quote by jimmyled
If you never met her in person, how can you love her, and how do you expect to actually meet her?

no no no, I HAVE met her in person. MANY TIMES. we'll both realize its a joke, just to be funny.
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
Lol jimmy, read the post you quoted again

Oh, sorry, misread it lol... I rad it as "It's not like I EVER met her in person".
Quote by musicisverycool
no no no, I HAVE met her in person. MANY TIMES. we'll both realize its a joke, just to be funny.

nothing quite like poking fun at another nation's dialect to make one chuckle
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
I like you.

Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Well if she thinks irish accents are sexy, then I'd probably just walk away from her man.
Gear

30 Watt Peavey Vypyr

Peavey Reactor

Agile AL-3100 White w/ chrome hw

Seagull S6 Original
Quote by CoreysMonster
just get drunk and start ranting randomly.

+1

I was at a bbq, and there was this drunk Irish dude going on and on about Thin Lizzy and some area in Ireland that had traditional music. I couln't understand a word he said.
Page 1 of 3