A music teacher at my school told me the best thing to learn to be able to know your guitar and play well is to learn jazz, but I'm having troubling finding/tackling jazz scales, can anyone tell me any good jazz scales to start on, and advice on using/playing them! Thanks!
In my opinion, jazz isn't about playing "jazz scales," it's more about following a chord progression.

If you're talking about jazz licks, that's a whole different story.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Major Scales, Melodic Minor Scales, Harmonic Minor Scales, Whole Tone Scales, Diminished Scales, Pentatonic Scales
Quote by rockinrider55
Major Scales, Melodic Minor Scales, Harmonic Minor Scales, Whole Tone Scales, Diminished Scales, Pentatonic Scales

thanks man
If you want to approach it with scales, then you would have to look at a song, look at the chords and figure out the scales that goes with each chord. Also, try transcribing solos, it helps a lot. Try learning not only guitar solos too, a good one to try would be Miles Davis' solo on Freddie Freeloader, it's on the Kind of Blue album. I hope that helped
Current Gear
Ibanez Prestige S2170SE
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Blackface Head
Soldano 4x12 Slant Cab w/ Eminence Speakers
MXR ZW-44

Want List:
ISP Decimator
Nova Repeater
Maxon OD808
Seymour Duncan Blackouts
Quote by OtherGuy
A music teacher at my school told me the best thing to learn to be able to know your guitar and play well is to learn jazz, but I'm having troubling finding/tackling jazz scales, can anyone tell me any good jazz scales to start on, and advice on using/playing them! Thanks!

Don't start learning jazz by looking for "jazz scales"..... start by listening to and appreciating the music. Become familiar with the genre.... know the tunes and the artists.

The person above mentioned transcribing some jazz tunes like Freddy the Freeloader...ect..... Ultimately I agree with that, but spend some time listening 1st.

You also need a certain amount of experience before you'll even be able to transcribe something like Freddy the Freeloader, or any other jazz pieces.

I'll add that IMO you should learn the music because you appreciate it, not because you've been told it's "the best thing to learn" on your guitar. I believe you'll be more successful that way.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 5, 2009,
I agree with GuitarMunky. In terms of scales there really are no specific jazz scale. However what jazz players usually do is they the alter the scale to fit whatever they are playing over. The underlying chords are the key. In order to become a proficient jazzsolosist you need to study harmony first.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
Quote by food1010
In my opinion, jazz isn't about playing "jazz scales," it's more about following a chord progression.

Unless you're talking about modal jazz.
Quote by blue_strat
Unless you're talking about modal jazz.
True, but the point I was trying to make is that the scales you play don't necessarily make it jazz. Likewise, playing modal music doesn't necessarily make it jazz.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by food1010
True, but the point I was trying to make is that the scales you play don't necessarily make it jazz. Likewise, playing modal music doesn't necessarily make it jazz.

+1

Your point was pretty obvious, but then again it's fun to be pedantic.
shred is gaudy music