Just a few questions about this combo.

-Does it take effects well?
-How versatile is it? (I need good cleans, and nice mid to high gain). I play a lot of prog metal, with passages heavy, clean and in between!
-Is it worth £600?
-Is it okay for home practice? (I currently use a 50watt Valveking, which is basically the limit. If I can't turn it up past 0.5, it's of no use to me.)
I've never played out of it, but I hear it's similar in tone to a Mesa single rectifier which is a killer amp.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
No idea mate but im really interested by this amp too
so

I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Actually for you I think this amp is like perfect.

The distortion isn't crazy brutal on its own, but it's still a rather high gain amp. The cleans are more of a "pristine" type, not necessarily Fender cleans, but very clean and sparkly sounding. It's the kind of sound that seems impossible to make mushy or muddy sounding. The amp is pretty versatile in its gain load, and in my experience takes effects quite nicely. I think the big part of this amp is that the gain is really usable throughout its range. It sounds nice on lower settings (a nice rock mid-gain sound) but moves to a high gain sound really nicely.

I think the amp is worth it; I haven't played one in a few years now but I really liked it then and it's just as well that I'd like it now. If there is one style of music I would recommend this amp for it would be progressive rock/metal, or like power metal...or just hard rock in general. I never played the amp with a boost or an eq pedal or something to try and make it death metal brutal so I don't have an opinion on the amps ultra high gain, but I know of people that use the amp for extreme metal but I don't know what it is they do to get their sound (whether it's a TS or whatever).

I've never played a single rectifier (only dual and triple) and I wouldn't describe this amp as sounding that much like them, it's more of a Marshally vibe than a Mesa vibe, although I definitely wouldn't say it's like a "Marshall amp". It's not really dark sounding like I would say a Mesa rectifier is, more of a bright sound with the high gain, which is a sound I can really go for personally.
-Mike
Last edited by HopePoisoned at Sep 5, 2009,
^ agreed. I would say that it probably doesn't like dirt pedals over the clean channel too much, but if it takes other fx as well as my savage se does, it probably takes most other pedals quite well.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^Yeah I don't think the clean channel is the best for playing with a lot of lower gain sounds, but I think it would be fine with a nice mild overdrive pedal. But I wouldn't describe the clean as being like a Fender, which takes all types of overdrives and distortions beautifully; it's just not the sound that this thing has. But it is the kind of clean you hear in prog and power metal.
-Mike
i actually thought the clean was pretty fendery, but i'm no fender connoisseur big problem, with mine anyway (savage se) and i noticed a similar problem with the screamer the one time i got to try an od with it (t-rex alberta, which is tubescreamery), is that the tone is very brittle, i think it has to do with the brightness and tightness which engls inherently have. Whereas tube amps which take pedals well kind of incorporate the pedal's tone into the overall tone and warm up the pedal, that didn't seem to happen with the engls i tried. i know my savage se takes ods ok as a boost over an already overdriven tone, but if you want to get all of your dirt from a pedal, engls aren't really the amps to do that with, in my experience, anyway.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 5, 2009,
That shouldn't be a problem for me.

And how about loudness? Too loud for bedroom practice, or should be fine?
^ should be fine, assuming you like the tone of preamp distortion. Engls are among the best tube amps I've tried for low volume tone. they sound better turned up, of course, but they don't sound rubbish at bedroom volume either, like some tube amps do.

I guess, just to go back to the previous point to clarify what I'm saying, most engls don't need boosts. They have plenty of gain already, and a wide enough gain range that you can play most stuff with them (excepting, say, the fireball). However, that's something of a double-edged sword. As I said, they also (the ones I've tried with pedals, anyway) don't seem to like pedals all that much, and if you like using pedals, or want to use one for a different tone of distortion, you might be disappointed.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hmm. I think I might just go for it, if the dude responds.

Is it okay with chorus/reverb/delay?
i don't think i've tried those pedals with it, but they work fine with my savage se (though it may have a higher-quality loop).

actually, i think i tried a reverb into the front end of a screamer and it sounded fine, but that was only with the clean channel. it has spring reverb built-in, anyway.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
no problem. give us a shout if you have any more questions.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah the Engl is quite a bright amp which is why I think the clean channel doesn't take a lot of pedals well, but that depends on the pedal, too. The effects loop on the Screamer is a nice one also, Dave, and I think the amp sounds really nice with modulation.

If you really want to use some kind of pedal with the Screamer, try to find one that rolls off top end nicely and has a good mid-hump (most all ODs have mid-hump but most don't sound good to my ears!). But yeah, the main point of getting an Engl is NOT to use OD/dist pedals through the clean

And I agree with what Dave said about not needing to boost the OD channel; it's a high gain amp as it is. If anything, you'd boost it for solos, or maybe if you wanted to tighten/brutalize the sound more.

And yeah, the cleans are rather Fendery in that they have a nice high sparkle and "defined" lows, but it's not like a Fender in its responsiveness - it's more of a super-clean, I don't want to say sterile, but really bright and tight; the opposite of anything that could be considered soft or mushy.

I really like Engls because they sound good at low volume (unlike, for example, a rectifier). As a bedroom amp it's really nice because you don't need to crank it to get some good tone, but when you do you just get more satisfaction! And also, they're built with the kind of engineering precision we've come to expect from Germany.

And those are some of the reasons why Engl makes my short list for best high gain amps
-Mike
^

I know what you mean about the cleans, too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?