OK. I know Paul Gray of Slipknot sets his bass up with the bottom 4 strings of a 5 string set, B-E-A-D. Can I do this without making any adjustments to the bass itself? Like, would I need to adjust the nut, bridge, could the neck take the pressure?

This is the bass I would do this with
http://www.gregbennettguitars.com/fn1.html
And even though it is a lesser known brand, it is actually a VERY good bass. One I will have for a while.

So what do the wise members of the UG community think?
You would have to adjust the truss rod to counter the change in tension, and the slots in the nut might be too narrow, so you might have to widen them with a file.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Well, you're going to have to be sure about wanting to stay like this; I doubt you'll be able to tune back to standard with strings that thick, and putting normal ones back in the now-larger nut wouldn't work.
Yeah, I'm getting a new bass soon so, I want one is standard and the other in this lower tuning.
Quote by herby190
Well, you're going to have to be sure about wanting to stay like this; I doubt you'll be able to tune back to standard with strings that thick, and putting normal ones back in the now-larger nut wouldn't work.

disagree with both.

you should adjust the truss rod however.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Jasonbts
Yeah, I'm getting a new bass soon so, I want one is standard and the other in this lower tuning.
Maybe you should get a five-string for the new one instead? Otherwise, the guy above me has all the right advice if you want to go ahead with your plan.

Edit: @humanity
What do you mean you disagree with both?
Quote by herby190
Maybe you should get a five-string for the new one instead? Otherwise, the guy above me has all the right advice if you want to go ahead with your plan.

irony, I just disagreed with you.

I've done both.

as long as you use old worn out low strings, you can do it- it takes some strength though. and tight nuts will keep it sounding perfect, but are not required.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Last edited by the humanity at Sep 5, 2009,
Well I actually used to have a 5 string, and I never really liked it. Basically I want the low range on a nice 4 string neck. It's more comfortable to play.
whats your beef? the spacing or the width of the neck?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

get an Ibanez or Schecter 5er. much thinner.

and work on your technique.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

with bass i'm not 100% sure, but i know that tuning a guitar to E with 10-46 strings has very similar string tension as tuning to B with 13-56 strings. (i have both plus a 7 string, they feel identical)

you ARE putting heavier strings on but you're also tuning them 5 steps down.

the only issues i could see is that the thicker string set you're buying might not fit quite right in the nut causing it raise the action at the nut. also, since its not seated in the nut right, it'll put pressure on the side of the grooves and be liable to crack.

Intonation will need re-setting, but thats fairly simple to set up.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
I have.

I play in nothing but standard and drop D now usually.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by Jasonbts
Has anyone done this before?

well i did it a long time ago before on a cheap squier pbass.

aside from it sounding like poop, there wasn't any real flaws with the set up that caused any damage.

just be aware that if the B string you buy is too fat to fit in the nut, forcing it or leaving it my crack it.
it wasnt great to begin with really, so tuning it down 5 steps made it muddy and .. not great.

however, there are things you can do to combat muddiness while in the low tuned levels of B. lowering your pickups away from the strings, boosting mids on the amp and lowering the lows (just a bit.. don't want it to be weak sounding) really help.

you should have better luck with your bass since its higher quality than the 4 string bass i hadwhen i was starting out.

have fun!
^ playing with a pick sounds really nice with it, and it gives slap a pretty fat tone.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Let me just clarify, im not tuning down 5 step, Im using BEAD strings not the standard EADG
so you're buying a 5 string set, using the 4 thickest strings and tuning those to EADG rather than BEAD?

thats an awful lot of extra tension on a neck, but that is what a truss rod is there for.

you may want to see if this particular persons bass is reinforced in any way.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Extra tension?

A .045 guage G string has 43.5lbs of tension, whilst a 0.125 gauge low B has a mere 32lbs.

but a B string tuned up to E would yield more tension than usual wouldn't it?
Quote by Kivarenn82
but a B string tuned up to E would yield more tension than usual wouldn't it?

But that's not what he's doing, so I don't know where you got that idea from. He's getting a 5 string set and using BEAD, NOT getting a 4 string set and tuning that down by 2 1/2 steps (not 5- 5 steps would take your E down to F#)
Quote by Jasonbts
Let me just clarify, im not tuning down 5 step, Im using BEAD strings not the standard EADG

Sorry, i think this statement is what threw me off.

i thought that he wanted to use the typical BEAD strings from a 5 string set yet still tune to EADG.

i feel that technically if you have a 4 string bass and you want to tune to B, thats tuning 2.5 steps down regardless of what set of strings you're buying.. but this is irrelevant really.. :P

Anyway, if he's doing what i initially thought he was doing which is tune a 4 string bass to BEAD with some nice heavy gauged strings, then there should be little to no problems.

EDIT:

EDIT: and i also seemed to have confused steps with semitones. last time i offer advice first thing when i wake up :P
Last edited by Kivarenn82 at Sep 8, 2009,