I need a new amp for playing mainly hard rock and metal, stuff like Metallica and AC/DC. my budget is about £400. I was thinking of a Blackstar HT-5. Any comments on this or suggestions of alternatives greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys.
maybe something more metal,
the blackstar is great and very versatile and it can give you that tone for ac/dc and metallica
but i think you might need some more distortion than that for metal

also it aint so loud since its only 5 watts
peavey vypyr 30
yamaha starter guitar
Agile AL-2000 Tribal Blue

R.I.P REV!

A God Has Fallen,
R.I.P. Dio!

why Scorpions Why!?!
look used for metal, + if you did get the HT5 you would need a good overdrive pedal and a EQ pedal to get the metal
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Yeah dude, I've got the Blackstar myself and I love it, I do put an overdrive infront though, especially when i want to play modern metal like Machine Head and August Burns Red, but it's a very good amp
Gibson Les Paul Standard
ESP LTD H-1001
Axe FX II
Blackstar S1-100 (selling)
Ovation Applause
Keeley modded TS-9
Boss NS-2 (selling)
which overdrive and EQ pedals would you suggest?

ALSO what other amps would you suggest that are better for metal?

BTW: i only intend to use this mainly as a practice amp at home for the moment
I'm in the same boat as you right now my friend. I just got back from playing a HT-5. Wasn't overly impressed. Spent 30 minutes mucking around and couldn't get anything overly amazing out of it. Also tried a Haze 40W combo. Was better but was way too bassy. If anyone knows how to sort out the amount of the bass on those things then i'd consider it. I'm getting to the point where i might just buy a Bugera 6262 and just hope. IMO, we need more money.
if its only for home use then the the blackstar will be fine with a distortion pedal
since you can crank it and it will stay at bed volumes

in terms of pedals, i dont know much but ive always been fond of boss pedals
peavey vypyr 30
yamaha starter guitar
Agile AL-2000 Tribal Blue

R.I.P REV!

A God Has Fallen,
R.I.P. Dio!

why Scorpions Why!?!
The blackstar is the only low-wattage tube amp in your budget that can do metal easily. You don't really need an EQ pedal, but an overdrive (not distortion) would be good.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
An OD in the front of the HT-5 won't do much when the gain is nearly dimed. Just makes noise as far as I'm concerned. A MXR 10 band EQ will probably aid more in getting a modern metal tone out of it than an OD (even thought that does help a bit, too).

But unless you are willing to go SS, the Blackstar really IS the only low wattage tube amp that can do metal quite well. Obviously not going to do modern stuff without help, but it can get there with the above suggestion.
Quote by BeethovensBust
An OD in the front of the HT-5 won't do much when the gain is nearly dimed. Just makes noise as far as I'm concerned. A MXR 10 band EQ will probably aid more in getting a modern metal tone out of it than an OD (even thought that does help a bit, too).

But unless you are willing to go SS, the Blackstar really IS the only low wattage tube amp that can do metal quite well. Obviously not going to do modern stuff without help, but it can get there with the above suggestion.

When I suggested an overdrive, I really meant use it as a clean boost to push the tubes harder.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by glam rocker
if its only for home use then the the blackstar will be fine with a distortion pedal
since you can crank it and it will stay at bed volumes

in terms of pedals, i dont know much but ive always been fond of boss pedals

5 watts cranked is not bedroom volumes. It's louder than someone playing a trumpet, which is quite loud.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
5 watts cranked is not bedroom volumes. It's louder than someone playing a trumpet, which is quite loud.

I agree. Maybe 1/2 watt cranked is bedroom volume.
Quote by jc349
When I suggested an overdrive, I really meant use it as a clean boost to push the tubes harder.

Ah, never mind then. That works nicely as well.
Quote by BeethovensBust
I agree. Maybe 1/2 watt cranked is bedroom volume.

Yea, I think that's what the ZVex Nano head is and that is bedroom volume for me. Even that is still a bit much for some though. The average bedroom guitarist rarely goes above 10-15 mW, which is about average TV levels.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs