Page 1 of 3
1. Nicolas Cage in Leaving Las Vegas

Never before has a performance haunted me like Nicolas Cage's portrayal of Ben, an alcoholic set out to drink himself to death in Las Vegas. Cage filmed himself drunk in preparation for the role, studying his own speech patterns, and incorporated them into his performance. Ben's facial expressions and mannerisms are so unique and believable then it almost because painstaking to watch this wonderful character fall apart.

2. William Hurt in A History of Violence

Tom Stall: [sleepily] Hello?
Richie Cusack: Hey, Bro-him. You're still pretty good with the killing. That's exciting.
Tom Stall: [quickly waking up] Richie?
Richie Cusack: [chuckles] Yeah, it's Richie, whaddya say Joey. You gonna come see me? Or do I have to come see you?

Simply put; one of the best off typecast roles i have seen in modern day film. Hurt is terrific at playing the mob boss, breathing new life into this tired archetype. His performance, and to a lesser degree Ed Harris', is what elevates A History of Violence to greatness.
wut

you dont include Brando?!?!?! One Eyed Jacks, On the Waterfront, Last Tango in Paris, Mutiny on the Bounty, Godfather....

christoph waltz in Inglorious Basterds
Last edited by Reveluzionairo at Sep 5, 2009,
Evan Stone in Squirtgirl Vs Captain Cum.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Edward Norton plays a very good insomniac madman.
Kind of like half of the pit.

Quote by rabidguitarist
Evan Stone in Squirtgirl Vs Captain Cum.

Google AWAAAAAAAAY!
Quote by Kensai
Ovenman, your contraptions make women's

clothes evaporate.

I WANT THE TWOOTH!

Quote by aaciseric
That's far too clever to be posted in the Pit.
Cliche, but Ledger's performance as the Joker imo was absolutely incredible. I just remember watching somebody who just was not Ledger in any way, he was literally an absolute psychopath. Just watching all the little twitches and things just added to it. Absolutely incredible in my eyes.

Johnny Depp was also a brilliant Hunter S Thompson too.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Johnny Depp in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. epic.

Absolutely.
Ian McKellen as Gandalf.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Quote by Voldragon
Cliche, but Ledger's performance as the Joker imo was absolutely incredible. I just remember watching somebody who just was not Ledger in any way, he was literally an absolute psychopath. Just watching all the little twitches and things just added to it. Absolutely incredible in my eyes.

Johnny Depp was also a brilliant Hunter S Thompson too.

+1000
ledger really became the psychopath, and Johnny Depp used to be a huge junkie (or so I've heard), so he was really able to portray Thompson in Fear and Loathing to perfection.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Sep 5, 2009,
Quote by jimmy_neutron
is it just me or is TS missing another 8?

Smoke break.

8 Top Method Acting Performances to come. Stay Tuned!
Quote by CoreysMonster
+1000
ledger really became the psychopath, and Johnny Depp used to be a huge junkie (or so I've heard), so he was really able to portray Thompson in Fear and Loathing to perfection.

Cliche.

Also, after reading this post, it has become apparent that perhaps you missed the true meaning of Fear and Loathing, as it is more a political film than anything. I recommend you give it another viewing. Johnny Depp, as far as I know, is not a junkie, and neither is Hunter, in my mind, one of the most influential and beautiful minds of the century.
Lol no one knows what method acting is
1. Open My Computer.
2. Open C:
3. Click on WINDOWS.
4. Open the folder "Media."
5. Click on the file "onestop."
6. Listen.
Quote by daytripper75
Perhaps you could have written all 10 before posting the thread.

Just a thought.

Perhaps you could have written your own list and done exactly that.

Just a thought.
Oh, I would include Robert Downey, Jr. as Kirk Lazarus playing Sergeant Lincoln Osiris in Tropic Thunder.
Quote by Mockstairwell

Fine Mr. Film Knowledge, what is it?
Quote by the_martyr
Cliche.

Also, after reading this post, it has become apparent that perhaps you missed the true meaning of Fear and Loathing, as it is more a political film than anything. I recommend you give it another viewing. Johnny Depp, as far as I know, is not a junkie, and neither is Hunter, in my mind, one of the most influential and beautiful minds of the century.

I never saw the entire film, only the first 25 minutes or so, but his acting really caught my attention, and have remembered it ever since. and I've read an interview of Depp's where he said he used to do alot of drugs, but got out of it thanks to his family, or something like that.
but yeah, I don't really know the meaning of the film (never watched it all)

and ledger's joker may be cliche, but it's AWESOME cliche.

Disclaimer: I do not claim to know much about films and acting. everything I posted is merely opinion and comes from my limited perspective of the art of film-making. if I've posted anything incredibly stupid, point it out and explain why, because I'm always glad to learn.
Quote by Mockstairwell

I think that by what I browsed through on Wikipedia, Johnny Depp in fear and loathing in las vegas could very well have been "method acting".
Quote by Mockstairwell

Arrggh I know. It's buggin me.
how is william hurt's performance "method acting"? you didn't explain how it is in your post
Balls.
Cage should never win any award ever, unless the prize is being shoved into a volcano.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Cage should never win any award ever, unless the prize is being shoved into a volcano.

now i agree, but earlier in his career no, the guy twent to painstaking lengths to do movie

i read somewhere that for some vampire flick (Vampire's kiss i think) he had teeth removed and ate cockroaches in order preparation

dude was a crazy method actor before Jerry Bruckheimer said "i can get you millions of dollars a pick if you put on a wig, a crazy accent and blow stuff up"

Edit:

though for my 2 cents, Viggo Mortensen in Eastern Promises was a fine example of method acting, dude went to to the area of russia where his character was supposed to be from to learn not only the language, but the inflection and dialect of that area, in addition he spent time visiting prrisons with russian gangsters so the tattoos on his body would be accurately and significantly portrayed, apparently he walked into a bar duing the shooting of the film all done up in the tattoos and make up and people cleared a space in a back corner booth cause they thought he was legit member of the mob
Last edited by fishmunky at Sep 5, 2009,
Robert DeNiro - Raging Bull.
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']^ This man knows everything.

Seriously, don't even try and question him, he'll rip your face off with his awesomeness alone.
Quote by Kumanji
@ yet another win post from Vince. Kudos to you, sir.
3. John Jarrat in Wolf Creek

Mick Taylor: [pouring water] Nothing like rain water from the Top-End.

One of my favourite modern horror movies, thanks largely due to John Jarrat, and his disturbingly honest creature Mick Talyor. In one particular scene, after the main protagonist mocks Mick, ". . .saying cool things like, that's not a knife, this is a knife!", and responds by gazing back with the look of a convincing psychotic sticking with me to this day, like a photograph tattoed in my brain. Jarrat gives a performance so chilling that it struck me on a personal level and even reminded me of encounters of my own, some of wish i would rather forget.

4. Marcia Gay Harden in The Mist

Amanda Dunfrey: I just want you to know that it's okay... being scared. And, well, if you need a friend, someone to talk too...
Mrs. Carmody: I have a friend. God, up above. I talk to him everyday. Don't you condescend me.

Marcia Gay Harden's performance as Mrs. Carmody is perfect. All you need is to point a camera in her general direction and the rest is magic. Really, her character is what made the movie for me, providing a very interesting look into the psyche of conditioning oneself.
Last edited by the_martyr at Sep 5, 2009,
Quote by rmr024
how is william hurt's performance "method acting"? you didn't explain how it is in your post

Please look up method acting for yourself, its a simple concept although its become more popular in modern film. Look at other films with William Hurt in them.
Enjoy.
I was just going to post that, you bitch.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Quote by VANGELIS!
Christian Bale in The Machinist.

Oh god yes, amazing performance!
Quote by the_martyr
wow.

Try pick it up. Great film.

Also:
Evolution 101

Get down Moses - part another sea,
Carve another tablet out of L.S.D.
Cage in "Leaving Las Vegas" is one of my all time favorite performances. Truly awesome, heartbreaking stuff, especially towards the end when the alcohol truly starts to show the damage that its done it him.

Shame that people give Cage so much shit these days, and forget awesome performances like that. I believe it won him the Oscar for best actor didn't it?
Quote by me_llamo_juan
^You're awesome.

Quote by gtmustang2006
Listen to RageAgnstUrJaw.

"I've wronged you, and steal everything from the truth,
Can we find ourselves, walking through a field with no solitude,
The pain goes on."
Quote by CoreysMonster
I never saw the entire film, only the first 25 minutes or so, but his acting really caught my attention, and have remembered it ever since. and I've read an interview of Depp's where he said he used to do alot of drugs, but got out of it thanks to his family, or something like that.
but yeah, I don't really know the meaning of the film (never watched it all)

and ledger's joker may be cliche, but it's AWESOME cliche.

Disclaimer: I do not claim to know much about films and acting. everything I posted is merely opinion and comes from my limited perspective of the art of film-making. if I've posted anything incredibly stupid, point it out and explain why, because I'm always glad to learn.

There's nothing wrong with Ledger in TDK. He was wonderful in it, though, i think that it is also quite obvious. I would also be happy to answer any film related questions you have!
Page 1 of 3