ok i am self taught and i managed to teach myself the major, natural minor harmonic minor, and melodic or jazz minor scales. i know all the chords that go with major and natural minor scales. but what chords go good over harmonic minor scales? would i just play in the minor key and if the chord contains the seventh scale degree of the minor key im playin in just make it sharp? idk but i wrote some awesome leads using harmonic minor scales but im not sure what chords to use? help please lol
minor 7th chords perhaps? They would go well.
Quote by necrosis1193
Somewhere in a concert hall in Sweden, you have just caused Yngwie Malmsteen physical pain. You also caused him to catch on fire.

Quote by frusciante.ve
I like that new song of theirs that goes all "peeeeeaaaas wiiiill comeeeeee toooo meeeee"

Just because you Seymour Duncan, doesn't mean you Seymour Dunshould
In the natural minor scale, the "5" chord is minor. That eliminates the possibility of having a dominant "5" chord resolving to the "1" chord (which happens in the major scale such as A7 - D). Ergo, musicians often play the "5" chord as a major or dominant chord when playing in a minor key. Instead of playing Em - Am, one would play E7 - Am to get that same sort of resolution. The difference between Em and E is that Em contains G and E contains G#. This is how the harmonic minor scale is typically used. One does not usually make a progression out of chords derived strictly from A harmonic minor. One would make a progression such as Am Dm Am C Am G F E7. That E7 comes from A harmonic minor, while the rest comes from A natural minor.

For several centuries, until the 1980s, the harmonic minor scale wasn't used to create leads and progressions independent of the natural minor scale; it was used to make the V7 chord in a minor key.

As always, I suggest that you read the theory link in my sig.
aha that makes good sense thanks for clearing that up! i understand now lol
Harmonic minor isn't often used as a scale in its own right, but it usually mixed with the natural minor so you can use a Major 7th to resolve to the root. That's not to say that it can't be used alone. The Diatonic 7th chords for the harmonic minor scale are i(Maj7), ii(m7b5), III(Maj7#5), iv(m7), V(7), VI(Maj7), vii(dim7). The roman numerals represent whether the triad is major/minor, and in the parentheses is the 7th of the chord, and any alterations to the triad.

EDIT:Yea, Sue explained the part about mixing the two scales better than I did.
And on the seventh day, I said "Go to your room!"

check out my jazz tab and ill gladly do a review of any of your stuff

I play the bass clarinet! How 'bout you? PM me!
Last edited by CHOCOmoney at Sep 6, 2009,
The harmonic scale starting from the tonic would work well over a minor-major 7 chord (A harmonic minor over AmM7 (A C E G#), I like to work modally with the scale, specially using the ever popular phrygian dominant mode built from the 5th degree of the harmonic minor which can go over 7b9 chords.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
In the natural minor scale, the "5" chord is minor. That eliminates the possibility of having a dominant "5" chord resolving to the "1" chord (which happens in the major scale such as A7 - D). Ergo, musicians often play the "5" chord as a major or dominant chord when playing in a minor key. Instead of playing Em - Am, one would play E7 - Am to get that same sort of resolution. The difference between Em and E is that Em contains G and E contains G#. This is how the harmonic minor scale is typically used. One does not usually make a progression out of chords derived strictly from A harmonic minor. One would make a progression such as Am Dm Am C Am G F E7. That E7 comes from A harmonic minor, while the rest comes from A natural minor.

For several centuries, until the 1980s, the harmonic minor scale wasn't used to create leads and progressions independent of the natural minor scale; it was used to make the V7 chord in a minor key.

As always, I suggest that you read the theory link in my sig.

In addition to all this (all of it is correct), the ♮viio7 chord which can then be built on the leading tone in the minor works well as a tonic prolongation and a dominant substitution.
Last edited by isaac_bandits at Sep 6, 2009,
#viio7? Is that supposed to be the diminished chord based on the natural seventh of the harmonic minor scale?

If that's the case, you're raising a major seventh by a half step; you know what that means!
Quote by bangoodcharlote
#viio7? Is that supposed to be the diminished chord based on the natural seventh of the harmonic minor scale?

If that's the case, you're raising a major seventh by a half step; you know what that means!

I meant to have said ♮viio7, as in the diminished seventh chord built on the leading tone in a minor key.