I have severe GAS, so I have to buy a new guitar every year. Buy it when you need it.
<--- This is Wally. Not Waldo.

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570
Fender MIA Strat (in black, HSS)
Godawful Marshall MG practice amp

My Youtube
My godawful blog
it doesn't matter. if you want it and have the money, then buy it. i would buy a guitar the very next day after buying one if i had the money.
I got my first bass for christmas, then the following christmas I got my first guitar, then the next christmas I got my second guitar, then next christmas (last one) I got my third guitar (first 7 string) & now I'm trying to decide if I want a few pedals, a new bass, or a new guitar, or something totally unrelated to music...
Quote by vulgarmachine
I have severe GAS, so I have to buy a new guitar every year. Buy it when you need it.

...what?

I get gas sometimes, but I don't take it as a hint to buy a new instrument.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
If you've got enough money for a 700 dollar guitar 4 months later, then wait a year or however long it takes you to save 1500 or so for your dream guitar-- theres not a whole lot of reasons to buy a decent guitar when you have the financial means to buy an incredible one, unless you just dont want to spend too much money.
I buy things in the order I need them.

So far it has been:

First Guitar (half paid for by my parents)
Bass Guitar
Second Guitar (xmas prezzie)
3rd Guitar (les Paul copy)
Sold the Bass
Bought a PC
4th Guitar (My US Strat)
Bought my second PC.
<--- This is Wally. Not Waldo.

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570
Fender MIA Strat (in black, HSS)
Godawful Marshall MG practice amp

My Youtube
My godawful blog
I bought an electric guitar for $200 in 2004
I bought an acoustic guitar for $70 in 2007

if I had the cash I'd have already bought something nice before making this past
If you want something, and have the money, then buy it. IMO no matter how good a musician you are, if you have a job, then you worked for the money to buy it, so you bloody well deserve it.
I really need a new acoustic. My acoustic was bought in like, 2002, and it's a First Act.

My electric is a special edition Stratocaster made in 2007, which is when I also bought it, and my bass is an Ibanez Jet King I got this year.
Quote by sporkman7
im trying to become a metal guitarist and im learning how to sweep
i own a les paul
does this answer your question?

no, that's ****ing ridiculous. you can sweep perfectly fine on a les paul.
Quote by sporkman7
i own a les paul

Wut?
You can shred on an acoustic guitar, I'm thinking that you just want the image.
Quote by Kensai
Ovenman, your contraptions make women's

clothes evaporate.

I WANT THE TWOOTH!

Quote by aaciseric
That's far too clever to be posted in the Pit.
Last edited by Ovenman at Sep 5, 2009,
Quote by sporkman7
i own a les paul

Nope.
When I realize I require something better to keep myself happy. I have my Gibson now, and I don't intend to get much else. I'll just keep upgrading amps.
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
it's simle - 'til the last one lives and plays there's no need for a new one
you can see his stripes butcha know he's clean, oh dontcha see what i mean?
Just get one whenever you are able to and you want one. There's no set criteria you need to meet in your playing in order to get a new instrument. I bought my Warwick as an investment, for example. It plays great, and will keep it's value, because it has a Custom Shop imprint on it. If I see another instrument I like, I'll go for it, if I have the means. Some collect stamps, some collect art. I intend my collection to be of isntruments.
Quote by vulgarmachine
I buy things in the order I need them.

So far it has been:

First Guitar (half paid for by my parents)
Bass Guitar
Second Guitar (xmas prezzie)
3rd Guitar (les Paul copy)
Sold the Bass
Bought a PC
4th Guitar (My US Strat)
Bought my second PC.

You now that it's hardcore when you neglect the purchase of food.

As for myself, i own a Mexi Tele and occasionally get a hankering for something with humbucking pickups. However, i haven't bought such a thing - i've had the Tele for nine months and i've never once regretted choosing it. It boils down to how wealthy you are, and whether you're capable of using what you already own for fulfilling your musical needs. Certainly at my standard of playing (low) the Telecaster will do everything that i want it to.
Yes, I use a Squier bass.

Quote by ccam555
0/10.

- Looking to improve this somewhat.
erum . . . depends, ive just bought a Cort Z42 and i probably wont spend anything for a while (apart from maybe an amp upgrade ) and get a Gibson Les Paul
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

I bought two guitars in a matter of weeks in the mid eighties. A '71 SG and a new Yammy RGX211. I sold the Gibbo about 5 years ago so I only had one electric then. Last year I got the 12 string and this year the Cort. Next year its a Les Paul type. No rules, no time line. Just what you need when you need it (and have money)
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x