I have a bunch of CD's that I don't listen to anymoe. Is it Ok for me to upload the CD's to iTunes (solely for my own listening) and then go to a Record Exchange or something and sell the originals? After all, I did pay for the CD's in the first place and I am not making any profit or monetary gain in any way.

Please help me out. Even if it were illegal, I probably wouldn't get caught if I did it, but it would feel wrong and against my morals if it were illegal.

EDIT: I know it would be illegal to sell any burned copies but that's not what I am talking about. I haven't seen anything about selling the originals...
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Last edited by Polystant at Sep 5, 2009,
Well, it's not exactly stabbing a pregnant woman in the stomach.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Do it. Take advantage of the system before they find a way to stop it.
1. Open My Computer.
2. Open C:
3. Click on WINDOWS.
4. Open the folder "Media."
5. Click on the file "onestop."
6. Listen.
In the eyes of the RIAA, it's illegal. But the RIAA sues single mothers for thousands of dollars over a few songs. So I'd say it's EXTRA moral.
No, it's just smart.
Quote by NGD1313
Yes, my mom walked in on me getting my carrot skinned.

So I freaked out and flipped the vegetable tray.

There was ranch everywhere.

Quote by zwound
Win

Quote by __Pent__

^^Too bad I can't do this in real life
Quote by KeepOnRotting
In the eyes of the RIAA, it's illegal. But the RIAA sues single mothers for thousands of dollars over a few songs. So I'd say it's EXTRA moral.

the RIAA are only in america, and can kiss my muscular german ass.
Quote by rabidguitarist
Well, it's not exactly stabbing a pregnant woman in the stomach.

Yeah... it's much worse. Much, much worse.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Ya, just take those load to your cpu, burn them for yourself as backups, then sell to the place. Might i suggest making cd mixes of 25-30 songs and selling them at your school for like 16bucks a pop. hehe good cash =)
Quote by Royal Celebi
Not allowed to whip out my dick in the middle of class. Ludicrous.

Quote by ratracekid111
Is that even Possible?!?!?

Quote by ilovepepsi
can i go blind by eating purple
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
Don't worry about it, I hear prison's nice this time of year.

It's the best season. It's cold outside, so it's all about the showers really.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
It's illegal, but who really cares?
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by Blood of Metal
Ya, just take those load to your cpu, burn them for yourself as backups, then sell to the place. Might i suggest making cd mixes of 25-30 songs and selling them at your school for like 16bucks a pop. hehe good cash =)

Who the hell would pay $16 for a burned mix cd
There's supposedly a law coming into power in the next few years to make it illegal to rip music from CD onto itunes, if it isn't already; I remember this because I read an article about Tony Blaire I think it was who said he liked to listen to the beatles on his ipod, yet they're not on itunes, and the article said it was illegal..

But anyway, nothing wrong with it.
I'm serious guys.....

And I don't know why I care, but I do.
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Quote by Blood of Metal

this would have been a good idea ten years ago, when CD burners were rare and the internet was slow. but now you'd just get laughed at...

@thread:

if you buy a CD from a store, then you have legally purchased a copy of that CD for life. You can make all the copies you want, if they're only for personal use. Only distribution of those copyrighted works is what is illegal. The copies you make of the disc and keep for yourself are legal, in whatever format they may be, and you cannot legally be expected to destroy them for any reason.

the fact that pawn shops are even ALLOWED to sell CD's indicates that they are just considered used, secondhand property, and not illegal copyright infringement. you can bet the RIAA would have stopped that years ago if they could. It's slightly unfair to the artists, since there are people who only buy secondhand CD's, and that money never gets to the artist, but it's not like an illegal extra copy is being circulated. If you lose a CD, do you have to delete your MP3's of it to coincide? absolutely not.

in my humble opinion, if you have paid for the full rights to make personal copies of the CD, and you now no longer require the physical CD, you have just as much right to sell it as you do to throw it in the trash.
Last edited by frigginjerk at Sep 5, 2009,
Quote by jimmy_neutron
Who the hell would pay $16 for a burned mix cd

Exactly what I was thinking. Anyone that would do that is a complete moron.
Quote by daytripper75
Exactly what I was thinking. Anyone that would do that is a complete moron.

I once got a really stupid kid in my year to buy an origami swan for £1.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Quote by dandadog
There's supposedly a law coming into power in the next few years to make it illegal to rip music from CD onto itunes, if it isn't already; I remember this because I read an article about Tony Blaire I think it was who said he liked to listen to the beatles on his ipod, yet they're not on itunes, and the article said it was illegal..

But anyway, nothing wrong with it.

wait, what? that's bullsh!t. you buy the CD what you do with it is your own business unless your uploading it for others to download.
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.
why should it be illegal to transfer your music from cds you bought to itunes? i buy cds then i put them on my computer so i can listen to them even when im not in the car or near my stereo... wtf is illegal about that?!
Nah, its not illegal. Its better then me and my dad, where we got most of our Itunes library from the local book library. We checked out the cds, put em on our Itunes, and brought em back to the library
illegal =/= immoral
Quote by wonderflap
You had to put a penis option.......

The results are now nulled due to this being the pit.... The home of penis watch wearers.

Quote by TheChaz
Rust in peace invented food
he sure is one legit dude
don't let it get to your head

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by benonbass1
If it's illegal to rip CDs, then how come you can do it on every music player I can think of??

Its not illegal to rip CDs. You are allowed to make 3 or 5(cant remember which) copies for your own use and personal backup. This is as far as i know anyway
I'm pretty sure it's not illegal. Around the Bay Area here in CA, there are commercials all the time for Streetlight Records, and they say they buy and sell used records, cds, dvds, etc. So unless where ever you're located has some sort of local law against it, you should be fine selling your cds to whomever.

/srs
so you are buying this bands cd, then burning the music onto your computer which is making a legal copy, only to sell somebody elses product to make a profit?
So since the beatles aren't on itunes yet, It's illegal of me to listen to their material on my ipod?

That is one of THE most ridiculous things I've ever heard...

Can someone explain to me why that law might come into effect (the one making it illegal to rip cds onto your itunes)?
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Classic Vibe '60s Tele
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15
50s Stella Parlor Acoustic

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there
Quote by skwelcher
wait, what? that's bullsh!t. you buy the CD what you do with it is your own business unless your uploading it for others to download.

That's what I thought when I read the article. It's meant to be illegal because ripping it = filesharing, silly I know.

Edit

Quote by ilikeguitar90
So since the beatles aren't on itunes yet, It's illegal of me to listen to their material on my ipod?

That is one of THE most ridiculous things I've ever heard...

Can someone explain to me why that law might come into effect (the one making it illegal to rip cds onto your itunes)?

The article was at least a year ago now so my memory is hazy, but I think it mentioned Itunes not wanting material not on their store to be used, since it means they get no money.
Last edited by dandadog at Sep 5, 2009,
Quote by Unourrit01
so you are buying this bands cd, then burning the music onto your computer which is making a legal copy, only to sell somebody elses product to make a profit?

Only I am not profiting because I am getting less money back than what I bought it for.
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Moral Legalism is for losers.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
Don't worry about it, I hear prison's nice this time of year.

ohh, your such a kidder
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
Probably technically illegal but you should do it anyway. Intellectual property laws have some bad points.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde