Ok, I'm afraid to put my better stuff on the net. I said it.

I feel like when someone listens and grabs the GuitarPro file of on of my songs, they may steal a riff, lyrics, or the whole song.
And since GuitarPro hasn't got automated copyrights of every thing I write, I'm scared that someone will steal my ideas. :S

Am I paranoid?

(...now that I think about it, it's a good song title.)
Do I have permission to use that as a title?

And no, you're not paranoid. It can happen, but the risk is there whether you're uploading or playing live. I've actually come close to stealing (by accident) a vocal riff from one of my friend's songs. Plus if you upload it, most good websites keep a cache of exactly when new stuff was added. So if it does end up going to court (somehow), UG may be able to prove that you put up your track first. If not, there is also www.archive.org, which pretty much tells you what any website looked like at any time. Ever.
Quote by ingames
Ok, I'm afraid to put my better stuff on the net. I said it.

I feel like when someone listens and grabs the GuitarPro file of on of my songs, they may steal a riff, lyrics, or the whole song.
And since GuitarPro hasn't got automated copyrights of every thing I write, I'm scared that someone will steal my ideas. :S

Am I paranoid?

(...now that I think about it, it's a good song title.)

if your that worried, burn the gp5 files onto a disc and mail it to yourself. also if you put them up on UG, as stated before, it will be archived here as well. theres no gurantee, but someone stupid enough to steal a riff wont get popular, hopefully.....
Do I have permission to use that as a title?

And no, you're not paranoid. It can happen, but the risk is there whether you're uploading or playing live. I've actually come close to stealing (by accident) a vocal riff from one of my friend's songs. Plus if you upload it, most good websites keep a cache of exactly when new stuff was added. So if it does end up going to court (somehow), UG may be able to prove that you put up your track first. If not, there is also www.archive.org, which pretty much tells you what any website looked like at any time. Ever.
Yeah, Velvet Cacoon stole all their material for drug and rent money...

"Velvet Cacoon's shoegazer / psych-folk recordings were stolen albums. "How the Last Day Came and Stayed then Faded into Simulated Rain" demo was almost completely stolen from Korouva's "Shipwrecks & Russian Roulette". Korouva's album has 10 tracks, while VC's demo has 9, though two tracks that can be found in Korouva's Myspace are not in VC's demo. The "Dizzy from Eternity" demo is in fact My Violent Ego's "Clicks & Hisses"."
http://www.metal-archives.com/more.php?id=15954