I am trying to learn Canon Rock (the funtwo version) and im almost through but im stuck on the part about 3:40 into the song where he goes into a massive sweep picking solo. I have been playing for just short of two years and so far nothing ive learned actually required a pick, so i havent bother to learn to use one.

Anyone have any tips to help me learn to use a pick quickly?
There are several good videos on youtube showing different ways to hold the pick, and different techniques of using it. How you have played for 2 years or learned the majority of canon rock without a pick I have no idea. I guess you have some hard ass fingers by now
Well, i can actually mold the calluses on my fingers and thumb lol. I guess im just very determined, but at the same time dumb for not learning the pick sooner
If you could do that very 1st sweep before that nicely, I don't think the behind one should be a problem.

Well as for pick holding, I don't really believe in a 'proper' and standard kinda thing... As long as it feels good in between your fingers, it is correct I guess. >.>

Flashback* : Damn, Canon Rock was the song that made me start guitar in the first place! Great song!
Hey dude, I wouldn't recomend learning to pick with sweep picking- its one of the hardest things you can do with a pick!

Tell me you'll learn other picking tunes first?!

I'm just thinking how difficult it will be for you, and trying to make it easier.
search youtube for a video on pick mechanics by Paul Gilbert. IMHO when it comes to picking, Paul knows his ****
You've learnt Canon Rock using your fingers?
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
You can't just pick up a plectrum and expect to be able to play anything on Canon Rock very well. In fact, it's a whole new technique for you, and it has to be developed over a long period of time. Alternate Picking, Economy Picking, Tremolo Picking, String Skipping, Sweeping... It all takes a long time to develope. You really have to start using plectrums though.
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
Last edited by BlisteringDDj at Sep 5, 2009,
You are badass for doing the rest of canon rock fingerpicking.

but as for that, do it without the pick.

Classical songs have sweeps, so why not :P.
ya if i were you i would learn other techniques first picking up a pick for the first time and tryin to sweep is like pickin up a basketball for the first time and tryin to dribble between your legs lol
pick up the bass as well! You'd probably be a great bassist with fingers like that hahaha
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
The part at 3:40, can't be picked.

Well it can...But you have to have some sort of a speed hack to do that.

You need to learn proper sweep picking with a pick.

There's a few lessons around on Ultimate Guitar.
Gear

Ibanez RG350DX Electric Guitar With DiMarzio Tone Zone
Academy Electric Guitar
BeaverCreek Acoustic Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey Sanpera Footswitch I